Rain

Rain

A Chapter by Alex Hunter
"

Tim, Steve, Veronica and Rod are survivors. With a funeral going on, life get can't get worse. But, only time will mend the wounds.

"

Chapter XVIII

Rain

 

Funerals made Tim cringe inside. Dead bodies, sad people, all black. But this one was different. Anytime a 16 year old girl is brutally murdered- just makes him want to know why. There's more to Alan than just the Crandall side. There's more to life than the living part.

Tim stood there, motionless as the priest spoke from the New Testament. Steve was to his right, wearing aviators. Veronica was to his left, using a napkin to wipe her tears. As they stood there, Tim noticed a figure watching from the distance, Rod.

“I’ll be back in a sec.” Tim whispered.

“Where are you going?” Veronica asked.

“Rod, I see him.”

“Alright.” Steve said, not turning to look at Tim.

Tim casually walked over to Rod. He was wearing aviators and a full black suit. He was standing by his sister’s grave, watching from a distance as Liz’s dad refused to allow him to the funeral.

“Rodney.”

“Timothy.”

“How are things?”

“Better than usual, you?”

“Not bad.”

“That’s good.”

Tim hesitated. “She would’ve wanted you here, Liz.”

“You think so?”

“Of course. If it wasn’t for Mr., Martin, you would’ve been here.

“Yeah. You know, I still miss them. Liz, Rich, Alan, Tabitha, hell, even Stan. I even feel bad for…dispatching Tammy. I feel like repressing my sins man.”

“Yeah, I get it man.”

“I also wanna apologize. I acted like a beast. I treated Liz like trash, I beat you up, I acted crazy. All because those things were going through my head. I don’t have to repeat them; you’ve heard them a thousand times already.”

“Man, you are probably not going to expect this, but, I forgive you. I am doing this because, I feel for you man.”

“Thanks.” Rod put his hand on Tim’s shoulder.

The funeral ended. The people walked away from the grave to their cars. Tim saw Liz’s mom cry uncontrollably. Veronica and Steve walked over to Rod and Tim.

“Rod, hey man.” Steve said as he put up his right hand.

“Hey Steven.”

“How are you?” Veronica asked.

“Okay, you can never say you feel good when you’re at a cemetery.” Rod looked at his sister’s gravestone.

“True.” Tim nodded.

“Hang on; let me go to Liz’s grave.” Rod said as he walked over to it. The group decided to follow.

“Elizabeth Marie Martin.” Rod said. “I’ll always miss you.” He looked down.

Rod pulled a rose out from the inside of his jacket pocket. He placed it in front of the grave.

“We should go now.” Rod said. “I’ll see you guys later.” He waved and walked away.

“All our loved ones are buried here.” Veronica said. “Richie is about 7 feet away, Stan is 27 feet away and Tammy is 15 feet away from Liz’s grave.”

“Alan.” Steve said eyes big. “I haven’t got any info on him.”

“Maybe his family had a private burial.” Veronica said.

“He wouldn’t have wanted that.” Tim said sullenly.

“I don’t get it.” Steve said. “It’s just killing me. There has been no info on Alan, whether from his family or any other person.”

Veronica sighed. Tim then dazed out again, remembering 7th grade. Alan and Richie playing the best prank on Mr. Colvin, the history teacher. It involved a car and glue. Steve was showing himself as a ladies man. He got caught in the storage room with Theresa Rivera. Rod knocking everyone out in dodgeball, even the coach. And finally, he and Veronica finally expressed their feelings for each other, but nothing happened until 9th grade. Tim’s daydreams were cut short by Steve.

“Hey man, it’s time to go.” He said. “Mind if we hang out your place?”

“Not at all.” Tim replied.

Tim held hands with Veronica and Steve put his arm on Tim’s shoulder as they walked away from the graveyard, the place that their friends were.

The car ride was silent, all 30 minutes of it. Tim was driving his black and gold Pontiac, Veronica next to him and Steve was in the back, looking out the window. They arrived at Tim’s house and pulled into the driveway. They exited the car.

“Hey Tim!” A high voice called.

“Li-.” Tim was cut short when he saw who it was. Charlie Willard, an 11 year old who Tim taught how to play hockey. Charlie looked up to Tim with high regard.

“Charlie, how’s it going?” Tim asked.

“Not bad, hey listen, I wanna know something.”

“Okay, shoot.”

“I wanna throw a party at my house, but my parents are a little skeptical, how do I get them to comply?”

Tim smiled. “All you need is your parents trust.”

“That’s all, well cool, see ya around Tim.” Charlie smiled as he walked away.

“Take care Charlie.” Tim waved as he, Steve and Veronica entered the house.

The three sat on the couch. All of them remained quiet as Tim turned the TV on. Tim never knew he would feel a pain as sharp as this for a long time. The fact that they still had to complete high school was gonna be a tough road for the group. They knew that it was gonna be tough to graduate without some of their friends, but they had to go on.

Tim looked out of the window to his left. Suddenly, lightning struck directly on his lawn, followed by an intensely powerful and loud thunder boom. Tim didn’t know if it was just him, but he heard a faint laughter in the thunder.

Tim quickly looked back at the TV when the all of the power cut off.



© 2012 Alex Hunter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on August 8, 2012
Last Updated on August 8, 2012
Tags: Funeral, death, sad, depressing, rekindling, poweful


Author

Alex Hunter
Alex Hunter

Palm Coast, FL



About
I like 80s films, like slasher and teen comedy. I love music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s mainly. I like nature and walking as well. I'm a bassist and long to be in a band. And of course, I love wri.. more..

Writing
Death Race Death Race

A Story by Alex Hunter