Unfinished drinks and missing dreams

Unfinished drinks and missing dreams

A Poem by Andrew Hawkins

Unfinished drinks and missing dreams

Did you know that since I met you I haven’t finished a single cup of coffee,

or had a dream that I could remember

or gone to bed the same day that I got up?

I’m not complaining mind you.

I just find it intriguing the little things you have changed in my life without even realising it,

without any effort.

My life used to be mostly empty, as in devoid of things, vacuous perhaps, if that means like a vacuum. I mean there was lots of space in it that wasn’t filled with anything in particular.

But you have managed to fill all of that nothingness up.

The times when I used to sit here and daydream about nothing, suddenly there you are.

When I close my eyes before going to sleep and used to spend on average seven minutes thinking of nothing (and that a scientific fact not one I made up) I now spend (on average) seven minutes thinking about you.

In that fraction of a second when breathing in turns to breathing out, there you are.

In that fraction of a second when I blink, its you I see.

Because its you I yearn for. Because its you I want to have and hold and kiss and caress and so much more that I dare not write, even in a poem.

But how?

How did you do this?

How did you invade my very psyche, my soul, my spirit so completely so effortlessly and with such subtlety that I never even noticed. Until I noticed. And its not like I noticed you were here and watched as you spread to there but you were suddenly everywhere. 

Places no one else had ever been before. 

Ever.

Places that people I had known for much longer and much more intimately had never been able to reach.

And yet there you are.

Sitting on a swing.

Waiting.

I just wish I knew what for.

© 2013 Andrew Hawkins


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I find this interesting. The wonderfully fact is that is hard to understand where you are at. The feelings that you show are hard to pinpoint. I know I have found it very distracting trying to find out how certain people get deep inside places, like the ones you speak off.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Andrew Hawkins

11 Years Ago

Thanks Giant, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out as I wrote it and the reality is that s.. read more
Swings have special powers! =D
I think If I were wondering why someone was swinging, I'd just go up and ask. What's the worst that could happen?
I really enjoyed the aloof pondering nature of your words! =)

Kate

Posted 11 Years Ago


Andrew Hawkins

11 Years Ago

Thank you Kate, sometimes it's hard to be bold though.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 14, 2013
Last Updated on January 14, 2013

Author

Andrew Hawkins
Andrew Hawkins

Richibucto, New Brunswick, Canada



About
While the jury is still out about life beginning at 40 it seems, for me at least, poetry began at 40. Other than the enforced scribblings of a young child I haven't written poetry for thirtysomethi.. more..

Writing