Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Chapter Four

 

 

                Sleep.  That’s what Risten and Derek needed now.  Not hugs, not kisses, not words...right now, they needed sleep.  Risten fell into a peaceful slumber lying against Derek’s body upon the sofa in his warm home.  A gentle fire crackled in the hearth.  At sunrise, she woke.  No nightmare again.  She yawned, and her vision cleared to Derek's sleeping face.  He looked so tranquil.  So at ease.  So beautiful.  Risten stroked his cheek with the back of her hand, and a wave of darkness came over her.  What did Derek mean about protecting her?  From him?  Was he having prophecies too...if her nightmares really were prophetic?   Risten felt like she had all one thousand pieces of different one thousand piece puzzles.  Everything just didn't quite fit together. 

 

                Yet.  She thought sadly.

 

                She gingerly slipped off of Derek and kneeled on the rug.  She reached up and pushed his thin hair away from his eyes.  There were still tears clinging to his dark lashes.  Risten knew that she had fallen asleep first; who knew how long he had remained in agony and cried himself to sleep.  She felt so sorry for him.  Him and her both.  In the back of her mind she wished that she had never came to Ancantha�"but that thought quickly evaporated as fast as it came.  Risten sighed at that.  This was where she was now.  And now, she had to become stronger.  For herself.  For him.  She leaned over Derek.

 

                "I love you."  she whispered into his lips before kissing him.  Derek woke and put his arms around her.  Risten couldn't take her eyes off of his.  They had returned to their bright cerulean sparkle.  He brought her lips back to his, and she fell to her knees again.  That ended her doubts; they were in love.  Granted, not exactly an ideal, fairy-tale romance, but it was what it was.  Their gentle, not desperate kisses; her hands around his neck, his against her shoulder blades; their quick, sighing breaths.  After they broke apart, Derek kept his eyes closed and let out a held sigh.  He rolled his right shoulder and grimaced.  He suddenly sat up and went pale.  Risten caught his hand tremble, for a split second.

 

                "You okay, Derek?"  she asked, more curious than concerned.  Derek gulped a breath and sat back into the sofa.  He smiled at her awkwardly.

 

                "Well, anyway.  Now that I'm awake, are you ready?"  he said, looking at her under heavy eyelids.  Risten made and expression of immense misunderstanding.

 

                "Ready for what?"  she said.  Derek laughed and coughed.

 

                "To learn magic?  You were all excited about it yesterday."

 

                "Oh yeah."  She sounded more disappointed than excited.  Derek stood up.

 

                "Why don't you go out and stretch?  A bit of meditation to clear your mind would be preparation as well."

 

                "Uhm, okay, but what about you?"

 

 

"I'm gonna go get ready myself.  Prepare yourself well, Risten.  Using magic for the first time is not easy."  And he disappeared into the hall.  Risten obeyed and went outside. 

 

It was a lovely morning, perfectly cool.  She did a few stretches and sat in silence for a few minutes, but she couldn't clear her mind.  She had changed into a turtle-neck sweater with very long sleeves and a pair of jean shorts over her leggings.

 

She tried to focus a single thought in her mind:  Derek.  She wanted to be with Derek.

 

                Speaking of whom...where was he?  Risten went back inside to look for him, but he was nowhere to be found.  She went out the back door, and heard the sound of running water, coming from within the forest.  As she followed the sound, it became clear that she was approaching a waterfall.  She peered between tangles of tree branches, and there it was, the waterfall where she had met Spiri.  It wasn't very majestic, but still beautiful.  The scene reminded Risten of something she had seen in a Disney picture book when she was a child. 

 

As she admired its simple beauty, she noticed Derek on the western bank of the pond.  Dressed only in his boxer shorts, he must have been using the pond for a quick bath.  He was no body-builder, but Risten could see that he was indeed well-built; slender and toned.  He turned and pulled on his jeans, and she saw it.  A large, red scar that ran across the back of his shoulders, and up the base of his neck.  Risten had seen the scar behind Derek's neck, but she never really gave it much thought.  She quietly crept up to him.

 

                "Is this what you were hiding from me?"  she said, causing him to turn sharply.  He eyed her silently.  "What's the big deal about some scar?  Who cares?"  She approached him and put her arms around his waist.  She wished she wasn't wearing her sweater, so her skin could touch his.  She pressed her lips against his collarbone.

 

                "Why would I care about some scar?"  Risten repeated, inhaling the fresh scent of his skin.  Derek breathed through his nose.

 

                "Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but I guess you're right, it's not that big of a deal...”  He didn't seem entirely sure.

 

                "Complicated?"  Risten released her hold on him.  Derek stretched and put on his sweatshirt, leaving the high collar unzipped.

 

                "Never mind that for now.  Let me see your hand."  he said.  Risten pulled up her sleeve and gave Derek her right hand without another word.  He held her hand with his left and closed his eyes. Risten shut her eyes and took a deep breath.

 

                "So, I’ll try not to make it complicated.  The fact of the matter is, that by coming to Ancantha, you've been gifted with special powers.  Mental, physical, and magical capabilities.  You’re not just an ordinary human anymore.  You have a natural energy hidden deep within your inner conscious.”  He paused to let her digest that.  Focus.  Do you see it?  Do you feel it?" 

 

Risten concentrated her thoughts, and with Derek’s help, she began to feel a very strange pulsing sensation near her heart.

 

She nodded gravely.  Suddenly she felt a sharp, ice-cold heart blaze through her veins and accumulate in her chest.  She winced slightly.  Then she heard Derek's voice in her head, saying "Release!"  And just like that, a tremulous torrent of energy shot through her veins in the opposite direction, then back and forth again.  Risten gripped onto the side of Derek's sweater with her free hand.

 

                Stay focused, Risten.  It's all right, I'm right here with you.  Now control the energy.  Don't let it wander aimlessly throughout your body.  Control it.  It is yours to command.  Send it to your hand. 

 

                Risten bit her lip and tried with everything she had to stop the steady stream of heat under her skin, but it didn't seem to want to obey her.  She was scared.  She didn't know what to do.

 

                "Derek!"  she cried out, tears in the corners of her eyes tightly shut, "I can't�"“ Derek squeezed her hand tighter.

 

                Don't give up, Risten!  You can do this.  His beautiful voice filled her mind.  Just then, thoughts of her nightmare flashed through her thoughts.  Those malignant crimson eyes, the suffocating shadows, Derek's scream.  His blood.  His tears.  Her tears.

 

                Her blood.

 

                The determination rose inside of her.  She forced everything she had into one more try.  It seemed to work.  Derek gasped and his hand left hers.  She opened her eyes and looked down at him, who was panting; half-lying on the ground.  Risten felt like she had nothing left.  Her body felt limp and lifeless, and her legs were ready to give in.  Derek sprung up and caught her as she collapsed.

 

                Easy, Risten.  Can you hear me?  She nodded.  This is just your first time using magic, so the effects might be severe.  Try to stay awake, okay?  He shook her gently.  Risten took deep breaths and tried to blink away the colors that flashed before her eyes.  She leaned against Derek.

 

                "What�"“

 

                Risten, try speaking to me with your mind.  You'll find it's easier.

 

                She thought about that a moment, then said, in her mind, Derek?

 

                Yes, that's it.  Easy, huh?

 

                What...what happened?  Why did you...?  She couldn't finish her sentence, but Derek understood.

 

                There are many, many types of magic, some more common than others.  These types are called elements.  Fire, water, earth, and the like.  Some people have two elements.  Some even three or more.  How many elements you control doesn't necessarily decide your ability to use magic, nor your capacity to use it.  I personally have two elements: water, and wind.  By combining them, I create ice.  By having you channel your magic to your hand, I was able to determine your element.  He paused and looked down her.  Risten laughed through her pain.

 

                Oh, rats.  You mean I only have one?  Derek laughed at that.

 

                Yes, but it's a good one.

 

                Oh?

 

                Your element is fire.  Mine being ice, you can understand my body's reaction to your surge of magic.  He looked at his hand, now badly burned.

 

                I'm sorry, Derek.

 

                Never mind.  It was my fault, I should've expected it.  He kissed her wet forehead.  You did pretty well for your first time.  Releasing magic is sometimes fatal to humans.  But I knew you were different, of course.

 

                So, fire, huh?  Not very original...

 

                Maybe not, but fire is a very powerful element.  And very temperamental, might I add.  It never wants to obey its wielder.  You must learn to control it well.  Fire doesn't combine well with other elements, either.  It's very unique...

 

                Derek carried Risten back to his house, made a light lunch, and laid her in bed to rest.

 

                As Risten lay alone in Derek's warm bed, a painful truth struck her mind.  Fire.  Another piece of the nightmare.  Hot tears rolled down her cheeks.  Her body ached horribly, and her heart swelled with fear.

 

                The puzzle pieces were starting to fit in.

 

~*~

 

Risten slept the afternoon away and woke just as the sky was beginning to grow dark.  A pleasant, savory smell wafted through the air.  Risten still felt very tired, but she was also very hungry.  She sat up slowly, grimacing as every muscle in her body screamed in protest.  It was so weird, the feeling; she could clearly feel the difference between having magic and not having magic.  Her fire was warm and liquid, pulsing and flowing with the blood in her veins.  Her insides were burning, but she decided that the pain would probably go away as she got used to it.

 

                She swung her jelly legs over the edge of the bed with a sharp exhale.

 

                Ow.  She thought miserably. 

 

Her stomach growled loudly. She had to get up and eat, or she was sure that she would faint or throw up stomach acid.  Taking a deep breath, she managed to get on her feet.  This was a million times worse than monthly cramps.  She flung herself over to the door frame, and using the wall for leverage, limped down the hallway.  She realized that she could’ve called for Derek to come and help her.

 

Nah.  She could handle this.

 

She squinted at the light from the kitchen window as she emerged from the hallway.  Derek was leaning over a pot on stove, stirring methodically.  He glanced at her with a thrust of his chin.

 

“You’re awake.  How do you feel?”  he asked.

 

“Horrible.”  she croaked, leaning against a cabinet.  Derek laughed softly, which made her feel better for some reason.

 

“Well, most humans take days to recover so you’re doing pretty good.”  he said, returning his eyes to whatever was in the pot.  It smelt like soup.  “I’m sure you’re hungry.”

 

“Yeah.”  she shuffled forward and leaned against Derek’s back.  As usual, his body was cool and calm.  Unlike Risten, he seemed to have no warmth.  It all made sense now.

 

“Oh, I wanted to mention this to you earlier.  Me being an Ice-bearer, it may not be the best idea for me to teach you how to use your magic.”  said Derek, registering her thoughts.  “But don’t worry.  I’m sure we can find someone to teach you in Epsilia.  The Royal City.”

 

“Okay.”  said Risten quietly.  Her headache had gone away momentarily; she just wanted everything to be quiet so it wouldn’t come back.  She thought of her nightmare and the flames that her clone had used to burn Derek to death.  But then she realized that she hadn’t had the nightmare for two nights in a row.  Maybe it was just a dream after all.

 

Derek switched the stove off.  “Soup is ready.”  he helped Risten to one of two chairs at his small table and smiled at her before returning to the kitchen and filling two bowls with his concoction.  It smelt incredible; like tomatoes and warm spices.  Risten’s stomach growled again.

 

As they ate, Derek continued to talk about magic, fire, and telekinesis.

 

He swallowed and pointed his spoon at Risten.  “Oh, you said you can wield a sword?”

 

“Yeah.  Like I said earlier, I did some fencing.  But I’m no master.”  she replied.  Derek considered this for a moment, dipped a piece of bread into his soup, and continued:

 

“What about personal defense?  Do you know any martial arts?”

 

Risten laughed.  It hurt, but she couldn’t help it.  “Ah, no.  I’m so clumsy; I’d probably end up hurting myself if I tried karate or whatever.”  Derek looked at her incredulously.

 

“You don’t seem the clumsy type to me.”

 

Risten shrugged.

 

“So you can’t throw a punch or a kick?

 

Risten thought of Paul.  “Uhh…”

 

“I’ll take that as a ‘no’.”  said Derek, his blue eyes clearly amused.  “Let’s say your opponent knocks your weapon out of your hand, and you have no energy left to use magic.  Now what?”  Risten sighed.  She really didn’t feel like a pop quiz at the moment.

 

“I get killed.”  she said.  Derek laughed.

 

Well, we can’t have that.  We’ll have to work on that.  I think I can teach you some basics without having you burn me.  I hope.”  he said, glaring at her playfully.  Silence passed as they finished their soup.

 

“That was delicious.”  Risten remarked afterwards.  Derek shrugged modestly.

 

“It’s nothing really, but thanks.  I’m glad you enjoyed it.  Do you feel better now?”

 

“Yes.”  she watched Derek fondly as he collected the dishes and washed them in the sink.  He glanced at her, his cheeks flushed a little.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.”  said Risten, burying her face in her hands.  Her headache was coming back.  When she looked up Derek was sitting there, elbows on the table, staring at her with his bandaged hands folded in front of his mouth.

 

“I’m sorry I burned you.”  she said blankly.

 

“Risten…”  he scolded,  “You already apologized.  Besides, I’m just fine, and it wasn’t your fault.”

 

Not yet.  She thought sadly.  She couldn’t stand the thought of hurting Derek.

 

Risten.  What do you mean?  Said Derek.

 

She looked up at him with sad eyes, but smiled.  Nothing.  I’m really tired.  Can I go back to bed now?”

 

Derek studied her as if she was something that he could love but not touch.  Of course you can.  I’m not your father.  You can do whatever you want.

 

That comment made Risten upset, and Derek saw it in her expression.  Before he could repair whatever mistake he had made, she stood up with a grimace and stumbled back into the bedroom.



© 2011 Aianarie (INACTIVE)


Author's Note

Aianarie (INACTIVE)
I added the soup scene last month...but this chapter still needs to be a bit longer.....

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself, this is actually a pretty good chapter. Maybe you could consider combining this chapter with the last? I haven't finished the book but i notice that your writing style shifts... these first chapters seem a little softer/ romance based and the dialog is a bit awkward. You could consider changing the tone during your re-write :) Overall, really good work!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself, this is actually a pretty good chapter. Maybe you could consider combining this chapter with the last? I haven't finished the book but i notice that your writing style shifts... these first chapters seem a little softer/ romance based and the dialog is a bit awkward. You could consider changing the tone during your re-write :) Overall, really good work!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's really good as well, mmh I don't know, I don't like Derek all that much, but still this is a very delightful piece!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i really like this. the soup scene was my favorite:) i think the part where shes learning the magic needs something otherwise awesome work

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

397 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2011
Last Updated on November 9, 2011


Author

Aianarie (INACTIVE)
Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Eugene, OR



About
**IMPORTANT: This account is inactive. To keep up with me, A.M. Wied, follow me at the Facebook link below! Thank you for your support!** Hello~! My name is Ashley and I am a great many things, .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..