Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Chapter Five

 

 

                "Ha ha ha…so this Risten is, how you put it, training with Derek.”

 

                "Yes."

 

                "Hmph.  I can't help but think that Derek has other ideas."

 

                "Maybe so, but is it our place to interfere with someone else's affairs?  I think not, Brennan.  She said she does not desire our assistance.  We must respect her liberty." 

 

                The other young man slammed his fist into the arm of his chair.  "Arias, do you think I'm gonna let Derek take the throne of Ancantha?"  he cried.  Arias raised his thin brows.

 

                "Pardon?  What does all this have to do with the throne of Ancantha?"

 

                "Arias, Arias, Arias.  Think.  Don't you know who Risten is?  Does she...resemble anyone?"  Brennan's crimson eyes glared at Arias, who looked away.  "It has long been believed that all of the Otherkind are somehow related to one another..."

 

                "You are certain?  But how do you know this?"  asked Arias.  Brennan grinned.

 

                "I have my sources."  he answered with a snicker.  Arias lowered his eyebrows.

 

                "I see.  And with the Prince so ill, the throne may very well need to be filled soon..."  he stared out the window at the full moon as he spoke.  The moonlight shone on his emotionless face.  Brennan fidgeted in his seat.

 

                "Exactly.  It wasn't by chance that Risten came here.  There was a reason...the Prince has no other relatives in Ancantha.  Risten is his blood sister.  If Prince Sebastian passes by...she is destined to be Queen of this land...and Derek..."  Brennan laughed scornfully at that.  He seemed to lose his train of thought for a moment.

 

 "I couldn't stand him being King."  he growled through perfect white teeth.

 

                “Who said Risten is in love with Derek?”

 

                “It’s a hunch.  They seem to me the compatible types.”

 

                Arias looked thoughtful.  “Do you think Risten knows about all this?  The Prince, I mean?”

 

                "I don't think so.  Or else she would've gone to the castle to see her ill-fated twin brother by now."  said Brennan, absentmindedly picking a speck of lint off his black, fingerless glove.

 

                "Twin brother…what, do you stalk her then?"  continued Arian disapprovingly.  Brennan laughed again.

 

                "No, but I manage to keep tabs on her."  was his answer.  Arias shook his head and sighed.

 

"Ah...I wondered where my brother got off to.  You've been using him as an errand boy.  Where is Kaela?"

 

                "Dunno.  Am I supposed to babysit your sister?"  Brennan snorted and flipped his long, straight, jet-black hair with the back of his hand.

 

                "She's not really my sister..."  said Arias mindlessly.

 

                "Whatever.  You treat her like one.”  Arias had no comment or response for that.  He just stared at the moon, blank-faced.  Brennan sighed through his nose.

 

                “Brennan, where is your mother?  I haven’t seen--“  began Arias, but Brennan waved him to silence.

 

                “Mind your own business.  She says she’s busy.”  he said, rather rudely.  Arias’ lowered his eyebrows again.

 

                “Pardon me, I was only wondering.”  he said quietly.  Brennan shook his head and glared at the ceiling.

 

                "But you're missing the point I was trying to make.  I haven't gotten my revenge yet."  Brennan almost involuntarily grabbed his right arm, which was covered by a glove that went up to his shoulder.  "And there is no way Derek is gonna get away with it."

 

                Arias was silent.

 

~*~

 

Risten lay in bed the following morning, staring at the ceiling of Derek's bedroom.  She felt much better, physically, anyway; her headache and most of the numbness had gone away.  Her eyes wandered the room.  It was mostly empty, besides a few modern paintings hanging on the gray walls and a writing desk in the corner.  The day's first rays of sunshine came in through the half-closed blinds.  Risten threw off the blanket and tossed her feet over the edge of the high bed.  Her legs felt strange and light without the boots she was accustomed to wearing.  She hopped off the bed and went into the hallway, quietly calling for Derek.  No answer.

 

                She searched Derek's entire house, which wasn't much ground to cover, but he was nowhere to be found.  She hastily slipped on her boots and ran outside, the cold morning air lashing her legs. She shouted Derek's name into the forest.  Still no answer.  Her heart and mind began to race.

 

                "Derek?"  she said, quietly, into the emptiness.  She ran to the waterfall, but he wasn't there either.  She glanced down at the loud croak of a frog, minding his own business atop a smooth stone near the pond.  Snap.  The sound of a branch breaking in two.  Risten turned sharply, and out of nowhere, someone wearing a mask and cloak leaped on her.  She gasped audibly from surprise, instinctively kicked the man in the groin, and sent him flying backwards into a puddle.  She hadn’t realized her own strength.  She steadied herself with a determined look on her face.  The man quickly returned to his feet and threw a hook punch, but Risten ducked, and he tried once more, barely grazing her neck with his knuckle.  She drove her fist into his stomach.  He coughed and held his abdomen, and in an instant he was on the ground, with Risten pinning him face down.  He struggled violently, kicking his feet, and managed to turn onto his back.  Aiming for Risten's face, the man threw another punch.  Risten grabbed his wrist and twisted his arm, immediately putting a stop to all of his struggling and leaving silence besides their panting breaths.

 

                Then something odd happened.  The man was laughing.  Risten was furious.

 

                "What's so funny?"  she demanded, keeping her hold on him tight and firm.  The man laughed louder; a steady, gentle sort of laugh that came from inside of one's chest.  One that Risten had heard before.  Scowling, she released his arm, pulled off his mask, and stared down into his amused blue eyes.

 

                "Derek!"  she cried breathlessly, "What's wrong with you?"  Derek just laughed as Risten fumed.  She slapped his cheek with the palm of her hand--hard.  Derek winced.

 

                "Ow!  Ah...guess I deserved that."  he said, clearly in pain, although still grinning. 

 

“How did you know that I felt better?  I could’ve been sore still, and you attacked me!”

 

His smile faded a bit.  “Risten, I could tell.  I wouldn’t attack you if you weren’t feeling well.”

 

Risten shook her head and took a deep breath.  She looked down at him again.  He was still sprawled on the ground, panting, now with a red hand-print on his face.  So stupid.  So pathetic.  And…beautiful.  Risten couldn't stop the smile that rose into her face.  It was impossible to stay mad at him.

 

                "Merely testing my abilities, I presume?"  she said, with an air of authority.

 

                "Yeah.  I underestimated you.  So much for a clumsy fighter!  You're pretty strong; intuitive; you have natural talent!"

 

                Risten smirked proudly.  "I'm good, huh?"

 

                "Not bad.  Not bad at all.  I only managed to get you once, right there on your neck."  he pointed at the small cut, then grimaced.

 

                "What's wrong?"  asked Risten.

 

                "You know, you're kind of sitting on my pelvic bone, and it hurts."  he said, apparently trying not to laugh.  Risten slid off.

 

                "Sorry."  she said in an amused voice, and watched as Derek sat up and stretched.  He pulled up his shirt.

 

                "Look at this.  You're vicious!"  he said half-jokingly, observing the bruises all over his torso.

 

                Risten glared at him.  "I could've done worse."  Derek laughed.

 

                "Well keep in mind that I could've as well."  he smirked at her then, "Next time I won't go easy on you."  Risten shook her head.

 

                "You don't hurt too bad, do you?"

 

                "Nah, I'll be all better by tomorrow.  I've learned my lesson though, suffice to say.  But what about your neck?"

 

                "Ha ha...wow, what were your initial impressions of me, I wonder.  That's nothing, Derek."

 

                "I'm only joking.  It's just such a shame I spoiled your pretty neck."  he looked at her playfully.

 

                "You want to see my sword skills next?"  said Risten under her breath.

 

                "No thanks, Rose, maybe some other time.  I've had enough of your thorns for today."

 

                "Rose?"

 

                "That's my nickname for you.  Like it?" 

 

Risten just shook her head and touched his red cheek.  "Whatever you say, Derek." 

 

“Tomorrow we will head out to find you a proper instructor.”    

 

“I thought we were leaving today…”

 

“Now, now, don’t be impatient, my Rose.  We both need to be well rested before we go.  Especially you.”  He glanced sideways at her.  “Let’s go in; I’m starving.  I hope you like root vegetables; I think that’s all I have right now.”  He pursed his lips and studied her for a moment, then nodded.  “Yeah, you seem like a potato kind of girl to me.”

 

Risten laughed out loud.  “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

 

Derek stood up and rubbed the back of his head.  “You don’t like potatoes?”

 

“I didn’t say that.”  she replied, standing and dusting her hands off.

 

“Potatoes are undeniably sexy.”  said Derek, nodding.  Risten rolled her eyes with a snort of laughter and leaned forward to silence his grinning lips.

 

~*~

 

Later that night, Risten lay asleep in the bedroom, Derek on the sofa.  The house was silent, outside, the forest silent.  Black covered all in this moonless night, and every creature dared not break the silence. 

And yet, a shadow emerged from the forest, even blacker than the night.  It approached the bedroom window, which was open to let in the cool breeze.  The shadow flashed into the room, and bent over the sleeping Risten.  A gloved hand emerged from the billowing sleeve, and touched her shoulder.  She woke and turned, expecting to see Derek, but found herself transfixed in Arias' deep yellow eyes.  She wanted to yell for help, but Arias quickly put his finger to his lips.

 

                "Peace, Risten.  I have only come to tell you something very important.  Will you hear me?"  his voice was a low, barely audible whisper.  Risten stared at him a moment, still trying to fathom how strange he was.  He was so handsome, but no trace of emotion whatsoever was to be found on either his smooth, pale face nor in his voice.  Risten couldn't help but think that he had somewhat an air of sorrow and longing...for something her senses couldn't reach.  Derek had taught her how to use magic to access or connect with another person's mind.  Granted, she couldn't quite read or otherwise manipulate another someone's thoughts, but Risten could sense a desire for something in Arias.  She knew not what, and aside from that, Arias was completely blank.

 

                "I will listen."  said Risten.  Arias blinked once and stared out the window.

 

                "Very well.  My lord won’t approve of me being here, so I must be brief.  To state it quite simply, Prince Sebastian, who is at the moment very ill, is your twin brother."

 

                Risten gasped so fast that she coughed.  She stared at Arias with her mouth open slightly, her eyebrows bent in disbelief.  Her mind began racing to find that face...the one from the dream...tanned skin, dark eyes, dark hair, a smile like warm sunshine...the one who drank a poisoned wine and fell very ill...Risten could hear her heart pounding in her head.  His heart pounding in her head.  She began to tremble convulsively.  All this time...Sebastian was clinging to his life...her one and only family.  The dream was a prophecy, a message, a cry for help.  Anger and fear burned in Risten's heart.  She felt the fire raging in her veins.  Risten grabbed Arias by the shoulders.  He looked at her, blank-faced.

 

                "Listen to me, are you completely sure?"  Risten said through her teeth.  Arias nodded.

 

                "Yes."

 

                "Do you know anything else?"

 

                "No more.  You needed to know this, for his sake and yours.  I must leave now, farewell."  and before Risten could say another word, he disappeared into the night. 

 

Risten remained there, kneeling on the bed, her mind and heart racing.  She never had a family.  She never knew her parents.  She had no uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins...not even friends of her parents.  And now she had a twin brother?  Had Derek known this?

 

                She ran out the door and went into the living room, where Derek was sleeping soundly on the couch in nothing but his boxers.  A candle was lit above the fireplace, and the light was enough to see the bruises on Derek's skin from his and Risten's fight earlier that morning.  She approached him quietly, and bent down until her face was inches from his.

 

                "Derek..."  she whispered gently.  Derek woke with a start, and eyed her curiously.        

 

                "Risten?  What's wrong?  Are you all right?"  he croaked, stretching his legs over the arm of the sofa.

 

                "I'm fine, Derek.  I need to ask you something important.  I don’t know how to say this, but…is Prince Sebastian my brother?"  Derek ran his hands through his disheveled hair and lowered his eyebrows, so his sleep-blurred vision could focus on Risten.

 

                "Your brother?  I don't think so...but...then again, who knows?  You two do have some similarities.  I have no idea.  Why do you ask such an odd question all of a sudden?"

 

                "Similarities?"  said Risten quickly, touching Derek's cheek with the back of her hand.  "Tell me about him, I've never actually seen him."

 

                Actually?  What do you mean?”

 

                “I may have seen him in a dream once, I’m not sure…”  her voice was quite and pensive.

 

                "Well,”  Derek said, crossing his arms, “You both have tanned skin, brown hair, dark brown eyes...wait, come to think of it, you two have very similar noses...wait, did you have another nightmare or something?"  he sat up on the sofa, grimacing from his sore muscles. 

 

                Risten sat on the rug and shook her head.  "No, I didn't have a dream.  Arias told me."  Derek glanced down at her.

 

                "Arias?"

 

                "Yeah, the guy who offered me help before."

 

                "That...was Arias who offered you help?  Did he mention anybody else?"  Derek seemed suddenly rigid.  Risten thought for a moment.

 

                "Yes, actually.  He refers to this other person as his 'lord'.  I believe he called him Brennan...of the White Forest?  Something like that."  she said.  Derek turned his head away, heaved a shaky breath, and grabbed the back of his neck with his hand.  He groaned through his nose.

 

                "Is something wrong?  Your scar is paining you?"  said Risten, returning to her knees.

 

                "A little.  Here, come here, Risten."  he held out his arms to her.  Risten didn't move.  "We will head to Epsilia in the morning.  It's too dangerous to wander about in the forest at night." 

 

                "Epsilia?"

 

                "The Grand City of Stars.  The Royal City.  Now come."  he looked at her with a playful, commanding expression.  She sat on his lap carefully, and rested her cheek against his chest.  The sound of his heart beating under his skin comforted her to some extent.  She took a deep breath, and tried to push the image of her ill brother from her mind.  She already loved him and wanted him so much.

 

                "Risten, in Ancantha, there are creatures called Fledglings.  They began a war twenty years ago that resulted in many Ancanthian deaths�"but that’s another story.  A fledgling is somewhat like a vampire; although they bite not merely to drink blood, but to inject a dangerous poison into the body of their victim, more or less, an enemy.  They are called fledglings because they are still somewhat inferior to vampires, as they are not immortal and can be killed in any way a human could.  A year ago, I was bitten by a fledgling.  If I hadn't got to a healer as quickly as I did, the poison would have killed me, or at the very least, left me paralyzed, blind, deaf, something of the sort.  I am very, very lucky to be alive and well.  Survivors of being bitten are seldom heard of, if ever at all.  However, the poison left trace of its spread; across the back of my shoulders...that's why I bathe so often.  If I don't, the scar will itch and burn...it hasn't healed completely, I guess..."  Derek breathed deeply at that, and pushed his back into the sofa's cushion.  Risten held his hand.

 

                "So that's how you got the scar...I'm sorry that happened.  But…why are you telling me this now?"  she said quietly.  Derek leaned against her head.

 

                "Risten, the fledgling who bit me...was Brennan."

 

                Risten swallowed hard.  Brennan...was a fledgling?  And Arias...was he one too?  Risten felt a hard spot in her heart.  She liked Arias.  She liked him enough to trust him.  She shivered at the thought of how close she could've been to the one who had hurt Derek.  She wrapped her arms around Derek's waist.

 

                "I'm sorry, Derek..."  she said quietly, sounding deeply guilty.  He kissed the top of her head.

 

                "Why are you apologizing?  You didn't know."  he said, embracing her tightly.  "But now you do.  Just be careful, all right?  You're a strong girl, stronger than you think.  You have powers deep within you...waiting to be discovered...and I will be here to help you.  Always.”  His face grew solemn. 

“But promise me something, Risten."  he said, squeezing her hand tightly.

 

                "Anything."  she said firmly, after a moment.

 

                " I love you, Risten.  You’re the first person I’ve ever cared about so much.  No matter what happens, will you trust me?  Will you promise me that?"

 

                Risten looked up at him curiously.  She was willing to go through anything for his love.  What could happen to test her trust?  Before she knew if her choice was the right answer, she said: "Of course, Derek, I promise."  Derek's expression was serious, as if he didn't believe her, but he gave her a small, somewhat sad smile.  She sat up and kissed him gently to seal her promise.  Her lips met his, and he moaned with satisfaction; both of them drinking thirstily from the fountain that keeps love alive...

 

                Sincerity.

 



© 2011 Aianarie (INACTIVE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, i finally got around to read this chapter, ITS SOO GOOD!!!! please put the next chapter up soon!!!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ooooh this is getting GOOOOOD.....i like the romance at the end much better. cant wait to read the rest!!! post more!!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2011
Last Updated on November 9, 2011


Author

Aianarie (INACTIVE)
Aianarie (INACTIVE)

Eugene, OR



About
**IMPORTANT: This account is inactive. To keep up with me, A.M. Wied, follow me at the Facebook link below! Thank you for your support!** Hello~! My name is Ashley and I am a great many things, .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..