Don't Hit Redial

Don't Hit Redial

A Story by Lexy

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” she asks, twisting her fingers in her lap. They sat together, on the edge of her bed.  The phone sat between them. She was sure that this call needed to be made, just as he was sure that this was in fact not a great idea.

“You’re the one who wants to do this.”

“That’s not what I asked you.”

“I could tell you what I think, but it’s more important that you do what needs to be done.”

“Isn’t that the same thing?”

“Just…dial the number.” She looks at him, fear and anxiety masked by an apparent hatred for him. At sixteen years old, this was a decision she made for herself, after years of searching and questioning.  Even now, after the fact, she did not know what possessed her to ask her mother for the number. Seven digits and an area code. She had the numbers memorized by now. Sharing a glance with Joe, she dialed the digits with trembling fingers.  Once she had the phone to her ear, he took the same trembling hand in his own, a sign of comfort, as inadequate as it was.

“Hello?” the other line picked up. The voice was deep, obviously male, and slightly slurred, despite the New York area code that told them it was three in the afternoon there.

“Hi. I-i-is this Rob Cruz?”

“Yeah-who the f**k is this?” Joe looked at Sheila, while she avoided his gaze.

“N-no one, sorry to bother you,” and she hung up the phone.

They were both right. But that didn’t stop her from letting the phone slip through her fingers, and mourning the loss of someone she had never known, someone she would never get to know.

© 2012 Lexy


Author's Note

Lexy
this was written as an exercise in my creative writing class.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very well-written! I would love to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lexy, you're still good! Where's the rest? I know you have more...
Did I mention I am thrilled to see you here? :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very nicely written, i liked it. but i dont know why it is rated mature!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 7, 2012
Last Updated on May 7, 2012
Tags: short story, creative writing, fatherless

Author

Lexy
Lexy

NY



About
I'm about to start college in the fall. I love Astronomy, space, and science, and plan on majoring in this (and then spending a lifetime in school). I spend my time watching baseball and writing, and.. more..

Writing
Valentine's Day Valentine's Day

A Poem by Lexy


What Else What Else

A Poem by Lexy