Yearly Physical

Yearly Physical

A Story by Lexy

Today was my first doctor’s appointment without my mom accompanying me. Recently, I got my license that allows me to drive wherever I want to, so it wasn’t a huge deal that my mom wasn’t with me, though it was still a bit weird. Even the nurse who called me in from the waiting room made a comment about it; it’s been a long time since anyone except my mom brought me here.

                  “All on your own today?” the nurse asked as we headed back into the offices and examination rooms.

                  “Yes,” I said, and left it at that.

                  “We’ll be in room 3.” And so I followed her down the hallways to the designated room. There, the nurse handed me that uncomfortable gown with the slit in the back and took my temperature. “He’ll be here in a second. Just go ahead and change into that.”

                  “Ok, thanks.” She left, and I changed. I sat on the table to wait. Though I finished growing years ago, my feet were still dangling off the edge, resting on air instead of the step provided. The cold silence trapped in the room is one step below intolerable. I had brought a book with me�"something for school�"but I had no real desire to read it. So I just sat there until the doctor knocked on the door.

                  “Hi.”

                  “Hello. No mom today?” He would point that out first.

                  “No.” I hesitate before adding the second part, because he should know, since he is her doctor too. “She’s in the hospital right now.” He glances up from his laptop he was using to prepare for the physical.

                  “What? Is everything alright?”

                  “Well, she was experiencing a lot of pain. The doctors have finally agreed to take her appendix out; we’ll see how she feels then. When I leave here, I’m going to go see her.”

                  “Well, let her know that I hope she feels better.” He took the stethoscope from around his neck and started to put it in his ears, ready to begin the physical. “How are you today?”

© 2012 Lexy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on May 12, 2012
Last Updated on May 12, 2012
Tags: short story, doctors, mothers

Author

Lexy
Lexy

NY



About
I'm about to start college in the fall. I love Astronomy, space, and science, and plan on majoring in this (and then spending a lifetime in school). I spend my time watching baseball and writing, and.. more..

Writing
Valentine's Day Valentine's Day

A Poem by Lexy


What Else What Else

A Poem by Lexy