The Innovator- Reaconia Chapter 4

The Innovator- Reaconia Chapter 4

A Chapter by Aleks Edwin
"

Destruction and chaos force two young men to leave home and search for family. Unbeknownst to them, a disaster has taken place far away that will change their lives forever.

"

Four: The Innovator


The limit to Roanan's patience was arriving quickly.

“We can't just sit around an' wait, brother.” he said to Aleks. The two were crouched along the treeline just outside of their hometown of Pilant, peering at the city, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Weeds grew tall around them and Roanan brushed one aside that tickled his cheek, it was also getting increasingly warmer outside the longer they sat there, he squirmed in his place, “I'm tired of this, Kale, we 'aven't heard anything all afternoon.”

“Alright,” Aleks said stubbornly, “you're being a child.” he laughed at his older brother who, ever since he could remember, has always hated waiting for anything; who always jumped off the edge without seeing what was below to catch him. With one final look around to make sure it was safe, the two stood from their hiding spot and waded through the grassy ditch back to their house.

It was horrifying to see how much their town had changed in only a fortnight. When normally there would be people bustling through the streets, there was now nobody to be seen; the town square should have been overflowing with stacks of harvested wheat and barley, but instead sat empty and charred. Many areas of the city now lay burned and ashen, and there was a house down the street that still had flames curling around its black beams.

They stepped into their house, careful to avoid the glass and debris that littered the floor, and climbed up to their room. Roanan collapsed face down onto his bed, arms outstretched in welcoming embrace, and Aleks sat on his bed, resting his tired head against the wall, looking out his window onto the street.

Roanan rolled over to get a word out, “We can't stay 'ere anymore, Keil.”

Aleks was relieved at what he said, it had been on both of their minds for the longest time, and he didn't want to be the first one to admit defeat. It was always a personal contest he played to where if Roanan was strong enough to face their troubles, then he was too. But the situation was looking grim.

“I know.” Aleks said back to him, “We should have left with all the others, Ro.”

“I was 'oping things would get better.” Roanan said with a yawn.

“That was the third night in two weeks, and who is to say they won't come back a fourth?” Aleks said, he could feel his eyelids getting heavier. The two had barely escaped being discovered the night before and had spent the night in the woods while another wave of soldiers tore through their town. After the second raid, most of the townspeople had left, realizing how little was left here for them. Whole families risked moving after their hope went up in flames along with their crops and houses. Neither of them slept out in the cold night.

“Sleep then, Kale.” Roanan said, “We'll 'ead out tonight.”

Roanan's decision made Aleks anything but sleepy. How can he be so calm about this? Are we really about to leave? Where are we going to go? There he is again, always making a decision without thinking of the consequences. He knew he shouldn't have taken his bed for granted. His nerves made a knot form in his stomach that could not be sated.

Light snores started emanating from the other side of the room, and as previous nights proved, Aleks knew he wouldn't be able to sleep after that, no matter how tired he was. He had never been able to sleep when the sun was in the sky anyways. He rolled his eyes and scooted himself out of bed; If he wasn't allowed to sleep, he would pack.

He lifted the chest from the foot of his bed and dumped out all of its contest, leaving a heap of linens to go through. As he sorted, he made a checklist in his mind; flint, steel, water-skins, knife, whetstone, candles, cording, needle, thread, money, bedsheets, canvas, food, anything that they would need. Nothing could be left behind, there was no telling how long they would be away from home. He began stacking his clothes inside of a shoulder-strapped rucksack, fitting as much as he could in the small bag. Most of the items he needed were down in the pantry closet, so he quietly tip-toed his way past his sleeping brother; he was at the top of the stairs when he heard footsteps crunching on broken glass below him and the breath caught in his throat.

He looked around the room in a panic, thinking of what he could do. They are back already? It can't be. The next few seconds flew by; in a flash he was next to Roanan, clasping a firm hand over his brother's mouth, to which he opened his eyes in shock. Aleks motioned for him to be quiet with a finger to his lips and pointed downstairs to where the threat sounded its footsteps again with the gnawing of more shards.

They both sat stunned as they listed to the intruder below; Roanan quickly got up and grabbed his empty bag, carefully moving to his chest in the corner, hurrying to collect his things. A loose board in his path had other plans and let out a loud cry under his weight, making both of them freeze, and the footsteps below them stop.

A few loud heartbeats passed before anything else was heard. Roanan carefully set his foot down after he could no longer hold his balance. He looked to his brother, mouthing words and erratically waving his hands in an effort to tell Aleks a plan without making any noise; all he received back was a shrug of confusion. Without warning, a loud step emanated from the bottom of the stairs, seeming to float there without any effort.

Roanan jumped back to where Aleks was standing and leaned in close to his ear, “Get ready to fight.” he muttered under his breathe, and then strode to the wall next to the staircase and pressed himself flat against it, ready to attack the intruder. Aleks crouched down next to his bed, just out of sight. He looked to Roanan and saw a red flush creep up his neck and a shake in his hand. He looked scared. Aleks felt his own face and found it warm to the touch, he was probably more red-faced than his brother, the way his heart was beating.

The steps crawling up the stairs came at an alarmingly slow rate. Aleks counted them, but was quickly losing patience; although it did give him time to relax, and he could see it even gave Roanan a chance to let his guard down a bit. When the count hit thirteen, the tension thickened in the air again. Only two more.

Roanan let out a shout that sounded like his best battle cry and lunged around the corner, to the intruder and Aleks rushed to the stairway when he heard a woman's shrill response; Marias was there in Roanan's arms, gasping for air, obviously the most scared of the three. She looked like a fish out of water, a fish who hadn't slept in days and needed to jump back in the water for a bath. She looked weak in the knees and Roanan picked her up and carried her to his bed. Her face was gaunt and her cheek was still bruised from the first Pyron invasion. Shortly after that was the last time they had seen her.

“I think my heart is going to fail.” She said, finally able to get a breath in, she slapped him on the arm, “you can't be doing that to me.”

“Apologies, ma'am. We thought you were Pyron.” Aleks said.

“And I thought you were. That's why I was being so careful.” she laughed, still clutching her chest above her heart. The room while silent while she tried to catch her breath. A questioned lingered in the back of each of their minds, and after a brief moment, it was Marias who asked it first:

“What are you two still doing here?” They looked at each other and neither of them really knew the answer.

“Waiting for our pa.” Roanan said, “Buur said 'e would be back in two weeks time, but it has been three.”

“That also has me concerned, I have spent countless hours thinking on it. I wondered if he met some of our friends on the road, all those folks who left town, and went with them?”

“He would not have gone with them without any of us there.” Aleks piped in, “I know he would come here to make sure we were safe.” Roanan nodded in agreement.

“That is like him, isn't it?” she smiled, “such a sweet man.”

Aleks and Roanan saw her expression change at the thought of Buur, it was almost as if everything was normal again and all of her problems were dust in the wind.

“What are you still doing 'ere, Marias?” Roanan asked, taking her out of her daydream.

“This is my home, why would I not be here?” she responded sharply.

“Everything is destroyed. There will be nothing left of this town.”

“Yes, I saw the flames. Just terrible.” She seemed so calm. So tired. She finally took a deep breath and was able to relax, she unclenched the space above her heart and brought her arm down. She looked around the room and saw Aleks' pack lying in wait on his bed.

“So you are leaving.” She said, “good. I was going to suggest it.”

“We will go to Plock and try to find Buur before 'e makes his way back here. It would 'urt him to see our town like this.” Roanan said.

“You should get your bags together, Ro.” Aleks told his other brother; then looked to Marias, “we want to leave tonight.”

“Yes, that is for the best.” she said, followed by the humming of an odd tune. Aleks went downstairs to grab the items from his list, leaving Roanan and Marias in the room. Roanan picked up the chest in the corner that he was interrupted from before and dumped out its contents. The portrait of his wife fell out after everything else and he put it and their daughter's pillow into his travel bag first, followed by a few clothes he selected at random.

“I wish you would come with us, Marias.” Roanan said. There was a clanging downstairs as Aleks dug through the pantry and Marias quit her song.

“I've traveled enough in my days. I am not leaving here and that's all there is too it.”

“What if they come back again?”

“They might burn some houses or strike me or drive the last of us out. Nothing new, sweet one.”

“I'll be worried about you.”

“You would have come by and checked on me more if you was worried, Roanan. I really will be fine, Someone has to be here for when you return.”

“If we find our grandfather, there is 'ardly a chance we will come back 'ere, Marias!” Roanan said, he was becoming increasingly frustrated with her, “we need you to come with us.”

“I'll only slow you down. But if that is your decision, to not come back, I will send a letter with you for dear Buur.” She pushed on her knees to help her stand up and hobbled to the stairs, “you both finish with your packing, I will meet you by the north gate in an hours time.” She went down the steps one by one.

Roanan put her to the back of his mind once she left, he threw the last of his clothes in his bag and grabbed the sheet from his bed, wrapping the thin cloth around his waist like a sash; the more he could avoid carrying on his shoulders, the better. He felt the exhaustion like a worn-out shoe; he could hardly remember the last time a decent rest came to him, and he decided not to count the wonderful moment of sleep he got before, no matter how deep it was. He worried for his brother and figured that Aleks got much less sleep than he did, his throat was hoarse and he knew he had been snoring. Perhaps that was just the screaming. He chuckled to himself. Roanan grabbed his bags, looped Aleks' over his shoulder and hauled them downstairs to meet with his brother, who was shoving the last of their necessities into a pack. Aleks noticed Roanan coming down the stairs alone.

“Where is Marias?” he asked.

“She went to her 'ouse to write a love letter for old granddad,” Roanan replied with a large eye-roll, then his brow curled up in confusion, “she should 'ave come right through here, did you not see 'er?”

“Nobody came down the stairs before you.”

“She left just moments ago.” he went to the front door, making sure there was no threat before sticking his head out to look down the street in the direction of her house. He knew Marias, and discerned by the way she moved, that it should have taken her longer to get down the road than it did. Where did she go?

“Well, she is gone, but she will meet us at the north gate soon.” Roanan told his brother. He sank into a chair and a cloud of dust and ash billowed around him. His eye-lids grew heavier with every deep breath.

“Alright then, at least that gives a little more time to pack.” Aleks said, slowing down a bit. A slight shake took hold in his hands, “I'm scared, Ro.”

“What for, little brother?” Roanan mumbled.

A silence filled the room while Aleks really thought about the answer. “Leaving,” he finally said. “And for Grandad. Everything really.”

Roanan cleared his throat in an attempt to hide the quiver to his voice that he knew would be there, “It will all work out, Keil, you wait and see.”

“But what if you are wrong?” Aleks sounded harsher than he intended.

Roanan was finding it hard to remain calm. “I don't want to think that way!” he lashed back, he tried not to let it show that he was scared too. “I know that, as a rule in our lives, thing's are supposed to not work out. But Buur is out there, and we need to find 'im, cause he's all we got left.”

Aleks could hear his brother stand and come back into the kitchen, Roanan grabbed the bags from him and took them to the front door.

“We've got everything we need, Keil. Now, we've got time before we meet Marias, so sleep. You look like hell.”

He is right, I'm worrying too much. But then again, he's not worrying enough.

“Oh, and I'm sure you'll keep watch?” Aleks said in a jest, lifting the mood.

“Is that so unbelievable?”

Aleks shot him a glance that told Roanan it was. He walked to the lounge chair in the main room and could hardly remember laying down before his eyes closed in slumber.


Roanan's world came back to him when his head fell forward and jerked him awake. It took him a moment to collect his bearings before he focused on his surroundings. Aleks was in a deep sleep on the chair, he barely moved since he laid down. Roanan was jealous of his brother, his eyelids where heavy and all he wanted was close them and forget about their problems for the evening. Aleks would kill him to see he was falling asleep while on watch.

He looked out the broken pane of the front window and saw the late afternoon sun casting its orange glow across their burnt town. He did not know how long they had been waiting, but he assumed it was about time to go meet Marias by the north gate. Roanan walked over to Aleks and tapped him on the shoulder, exactly how Aleks would wake him up every morning.

“Time to go, brother.” Roanan said when he saw movement.

Aleks grunted in response, “It's that time already?”

It was a blink of an eye before they were out the door, with bags and burdens around their shoulders. They warily stepped through the streets, keeping a careful watch out for the dangers that could be lurking around every turn.

The sky was getting grayer as they went along, moving around the last corner to the northern road. The gate stood in the distance like a stoic stone giant keeping its sights always on the lookout, but Marias was nowhere to be seen.

We could have slept a while longer, was the first thing to Roanan's mind, not knowing how much time had passed since Marias had left their house.

“Perhaps she is on her way.” Aleks said, putting words to Roanan's thoughts.

“Ya.” was his simple response, he had a strange feeling in his gut and did a quick sweep of their surroundings. Something did not feel right. “We should take cover 'til she gets 'ere, brother.”

The two went up to the stone archway and stepped off the path towards some trees that offered the perfect coverage. They crouched low in the shrubs to mask their presence from any of Pyron's prying pawns.

The gate still stood in sight and both Roanan and Aleks looked up and down the road countless times, looking beyond any charred house and tree and shadow to find any trace of their wayfaring friend.

Normally, the city would be seemingly coming to life at this time; candles would be lit and the windows would glow, giving the darkened sky a slight orange tint. The end of harvest season would have folks gathered in the streets for weeks of celebration, songs of dancing and laughter and gossip would fill the sky. But instead, the night remained dark and dreary, and the air was absent any jovial noises.

It was the dark and the quiet that made the two realize that something must have gone wrong.

“She should have been 'ere by now.” Roanan said.

“Well, how long has it been?” his brother inquired.

“Surely more than an 'ours time.”

Aleks looked to Roanan with a presumptuous grin on his face, “You fell asleep!” he laughed.

Silence from Roanan only confirmed his suspicions and made him chuckle, “After you said that you could stay awake and keep watch. Oh, it never fails, Ro!”

A flush came to his brothers embarrassed face, “I did not fall asleep, Keil, just rested my eyes is all! And that's not important. We need to find Marias.” he said defensively, changing the subject.

“What do you think we should do?” Aleks asked, “should we risk going to look for her?”

Roanan was growing worried, “Maybe that is the best thing. I will go, per'aps you should stay in case she were to come after I leave.” He took the straps from his shoulders and set his bags down, getting to his feet.

“What if you run into Pyron?” Aleks said, “I think it would be best to stay together.”

“Fine, leave your things 'ere though, we'll have to be quick.” With that said, the two darted out of their hiding place, clearing the gap from gate to town in no time at all.

Smoke from a freshly destroyed lot blocked out what little light they had from the rising moon. The dark sky made it near impossible to find their way among the new rubble and debris that littered the streets.

It still pained Aleks to see their town this way. It had been destroyed for almost a fortnight but it never got easier to see. Carts, now damaged and black, still lined the curbs, empty of any harvest that should have been their. He looked to the sky and saw the vaulted cross of the House of Prayer rising above the smoke. He stared intently at the building as he got closer and his eyes made contact with the broken, dark, soulless windows of the church; they seemed to be desperately looking back at him, pleading for help.

An overwhelming sense of hopelessness filled him then, and for the first time in as long as he could remember, he wanted to pray. It was as if a magical force took hold of him and was forcing him to his knees.

Keil.” Roanan called to him in a forceful whisper, bring Aleks out of his trance. “What are you doin'? We 'ave to go!” He was standing considerably farther up the road, among some timbers, waving his brother onward.

Aleks got up, and shook his head, trying to remove the perception that clouded his senses. He stole another glance at the church before running to catch up with his brother. A deep feeling of sadness still clung to him like a cold chill. He missed this town, he wished for their friends to be back, for light to be pouring out of windows and for guiding voices to lead them through the night, even if it was a song from the House of Prayer. What he used to resent was now replaced by a longing in his heart. And he knew Roanan felt the same way, even if he failed to show it. There was not a thing in the world they would keep if it meant that everything would return to normal if they gave it up, especially if it destined Buur to be back.

But nothing now could change what had happened to Pilant. No amount of wishing...or prayer... could restore burnt buildings or make people turn around from their journeys to a safer life. So Aleks put his thoughts away and kept walking on with Roanan, managing their way through the dark as best they could.

Finally, they climbed over a timber that jutted out into the intersection of the road, and rounded the corner to see Marias' house sitting dark and alone on the street. It was surrounded on all sides by houses that had succumbed to fire and lay in ruins, but her house itself remained unscathed.

Roanan walked up to the windows, which were dark like the others, but unbroken, and peered inside, “She's not 'ere either.” he said confused.

“Perhaps she left to meet us.” Aleks stated.

“We came the most direct way, we would've met 'er.” Roanan looked inside again, he had his hands cupped over his eyes as if to see better. “There's nothing in there.”

“That is impossible.” Aleks said, he followed his brother's example and looked inside the unscathed house. Roanan was right; all of the furniture and belongings were gone from view. A flash of white caught his eye and he looked to the floor where a single sheet of paper laid folded and in wait. “There is something there!”

As soon as he said that, the door creaked open and caused both of them to jump back, Roanan immediately had his hand on his knife to defend any threat. They kept their eyes on the door, waiting to see someone on the other side, but nobody was there. Aleks crept along the outer wall of the house and tapped on the door to open it further, a slight breeze emanated out of nowhere and tugged at his clothes, seeming to pull him inside, “I think it's safe, Ro.”

The two took cautious steps into the door, taking an eager look around. Aleks could hardly remember the last time he had been in Marias' house, it had to have been when he was little, just after moving to Pilant to live with the Garning's. He picked up the letter, it was crisp and yellowing and had a layer of dust sprinkled over it; he wiped it clean, making the particles float to the floor to join the others. There was dust everywhere.

“No one 'as been 'ere in years.” Roanan said.

Aleks went to the window, where charred wood next door gave off enough of an ember glow to read the letter; he opened it, and gave a laugh when he read 'My Darling Buur' written on the first fold in an elaborate hand. His smile turned, though, when he saw the date scrolled on the top corner, he whispered it to himself, “Year Fourteen S.B. Iaoel the eleventh.”

“What was that, Keil?” Roanan asked, he was looking down the hall.

Aleks did the sums in his head, “This letter is dated nine years ago.” Roanan came to him and grabbed the letter, Aleks pointed the date out to him, “Look, year fourteen of the Sease-Beauvoir family reign, but they have been in power twenty-three years.”

“Iaoel the eleventh. Nine years, seven months.” Roanan said, the two looked at each other. “What is going on 'ere?”

A shout from outside seemed to answer, though it was not the voices that they wanted to here. “They're in there!” The voice sounded and an instant panic shot through the brothers. The shadow of a man ran across the road outside the open door, the ember glow nearby making a red glint shine from his armor.

“Run, Keil, out the back of the 'ouse. Go!” Roanan stuffed the letter into his waist sash and drew his knife.

“I'm not leaving you to fight alone!” Aleks said, and took another knife out of his boot, and the two prepared themselves for conflict.

Three more shadows occupied the night and looked to be surrounding the front of the house. A rock came crashing through the front window and tumbled to their feet. It was shortly followed by a lit torch that spread its destructive flames across the floor, illuminating the darkness. Through the arms he held in front of his face to shield from the heat, Aleks saw one of the men step up to the door, he had a sword in one hand and iron cuffs in the other, they both shimmered in the flames. Aleks tightened his grip on his dagger, holding onto the little savior for dear life, his heart pounded in his chest.

Roanan saw the man too and stepped around his brother, away from the flames, to confront him, never taking his eye off the Pyron enemy. He could hear his brother breathing nervously, and realized he felt the same way when he saw his hands shaking in front of him.

We can do this. Roanan reached out and gave Aleks a pat on the shoulder, urging him forward, and the brothers went to either side of the soldier, who stood his ground, expertly watching the two victims inch closer.

“Careful with those, boys, you'll cut yourselves.” The man mocked in a gritty voice. It made Roanan's blood boil to be talked to like a child. He could see Aleks' face turn hard with a clench of his jaw, it was obvious he felt the same way.

“All you have to worry about if your friends will come save you once we take you down.” Aleks said, forcing some grit into his voice; with that the man tossed his head back in a laugh, he threw his arm back and put his full weight towards bringing his sword down on Aleks.

He was interrupted, though, by an instant explosion of air that originated from inside the house, sending the soldier flying out into the night air. He landed in the street with a clang and left the brothers standing alone and in shock. The door slammed shut by an unseen force, and the two brothers stammered back.

What is going on? Roanan thought again, the unknown forces scared him more than the armed enemy soldier did.

He and Aleks waited in the room for something to happen. The flames still swirled on the floor, sending smoke billowing into the air, but other than that, everything was calm for a moment.

Then, just as suddenly as the first time, a cyclone of wind filled the room, extinguishing the flames and turning the still dust into a flurry of activity. The air's invisible fingers grabbed hold of the brother's clothes and pulled them into the back of the house, away from the door, where the other soldiers where already trying to break their way in again.

As much as the two fought the force, it dragged them into the back room, where an opened window sat in wait. The gale released them from its grasp, and they situated themselves and looked to each other in wonder. They heard the men hammering on the door in the other room, so Roanan grabbed Aleks' shirt and pushed him to the window, “You first. Might as well listen to whatever brought us 'ere.”

Aleks sat on the windowsill and maneuvered his way to the ground outside; Roanan jumped down after him. There was rubble on three sides of the house that blocked access to the men on the road, who still seemed preoccupied with the front door. Whatever closed it seemed to have locked it pretty tightly. Aleks and Roanan ducked low and clambered through the debris as quietly and quickly as they could.

It was difficult to concentrate after everything that had happened, Aleks' head was swimming, whatever mystical force had helped them had left his mind in a daze. All he wanted to think about was getting away, but his thoughts failed to budge. What was that? His hand slipped on a plank of wood covered in soot, and reality commenced as he crashed to the ground hard on his shoulder. He froze immediately and listened, hoping the ears of his enemies failed to pick up the sound. He felt a pain in the palm of his hand and noticed a dark smudge streaking across it; the soot stained spots on his clothes too, he saw, making him look like he lived on the streets for months.

He thought he could lay on the ground and sleep forever, and not have to worry about the Pyron men finding him. His legs burned from all the climbing and he felt as if he had gone all he could for the night.

Roanan, seeming a bit more clear-headed, ran to his brother and stood above him; he grasped Aleks by the collar and hoisted him to his feet, “Always keepin' an eye out for ya, uh?” he whispered, mostly to himself. “Now come on, we're almost to the road.”

The moon had once again forced its way through when they had put some distance between themselves and the smoky air of the newly burnt houses. Roanan could feel himself running short of breath and new that the smoke was effecting his insides.

The north gate had once again graced the two with its presence and he hobbled his way up to the stony arch, with Aleks in tow, panting harder than Roanan was.

“Go grab the bags, brother, I'll keep a look out.” Roanan said, he coughed and spit a black glob from his mouth, making a dark splash on the gravel below. He desperately wanted some water.

“Here,” Aleks said, crawling up the ditch away from the trees. He struggled under the weight of their belongings, and awkwardly handed Roanan his half. “Now lets get on with it, we need to remain out of sight.”

Roanan looked behind him once more to be sure they were not being followed before he listened to his brother's advice. “There,” he pointed, “walk just under the tree line out of the moonlight.”


That is what they did for what seemed like hours. Though he was tired, Aleks' eyes remained wide open in wonder; his mind recalled the air clawing at his clothing, and lifting him right off the floor. Gales that appeared from nothing, strong enough to send an armored man flying into the street. It was forces straight out of make-believe. Like magic. But it was real, it had happened to them, and he longed to know what it was.

It amazed him how often he seemed to be thinking exactly what Roanan was. The same longing must have been pulling at his mind because he reached under his waist sash and removed Marias' letter, which was now a bit crinkled and smudged with soot. Roanan peeled back the front corner again and seemed to be only focusing on the date; Aleks saw his eyes dart back and forth over the one spot countless times, trying to comprehend some secret meaning.

“What are you thinking?” Aleks asked him, bringing him out of a trance.

“That there is no way tonight actually 'appened.” he replied with an uncertainty hidden in his voice.

“What do you think that was?” Aleks asked, not knowing what to call the strange forces.

“I 'ave no idea.”

“Well, what do you think happened to Marias?”

“Not a clue.”

“And the date? What does that mean?”

“I am just as lost as you are, brother.” Roanan snapped, “I cannot even conceive what 'appened to us. All I know is we are lucky to make it out of there. With or without 'elp.”

“Ya, I know.” Aleks said stubbornly, and with that it was silent for a long while.

“One thing I 'ave to ask ya though, Keil.” Roanan said, turning around to be face-to-face with his brother. “What were ya doin' in front of the 'ouse of Prayer tonight?”

The question caught Aleks off guard, and the same senses that flooded him before came back to him in an instant. He remembered the longing in his heart and the wanting that had made him want to kneel in front of that church.

“I... I cannot say.” Aleks mustered, “Not that I want to keep it from you, but, it's hard to explain, ya know? Just like what happened at Marias', It was as if a force had control of me.”

“I get it.” he said quietly, “I was worried for ya then, brother, 'cause I knew that was not like you. After you lost your family, and I lost mine, we swore never to go back there; I was 'oping you were not givin' up on me.”

“Never.” Aleks said and the two laughed as they kept walking on, feeling like dead men; they were tired, hungry, exhausted, lost, empty, confused and cold. Aleks' feet grew numb a while back and he lagged behind Roanan. He put all his energy towards wondering, not about anything in particular, simply the night as a whole. Yet, it all came down to one question that pulled constantly at his mind: Where is Marias?

He had no answer, but pondered it to no end. He entertained ideas about what could have happened, but thought them all preposterous. So far, he came to the conclusion that Marias has been dead for nine years and all of their interactions since then had been with her ghost. But if that is the case, then what has she been waiting around for? And why did she fail to appear tonight?

He shook his head in an effort to remove the silly ideas; He was too tired to be harboring such delusional thoughts. “Roanan, I've gone as far as I can tonight.” He said when he realized the numbness had grown up into his legs. He always hated being the first one to surrender, though, wanting too seem strong to his older brother.

Aleks was happy when Roanan said: “I was 'oping you'd stop soon. I was strugglin' there for a bit.”

They stepped off their beaten path into the trees on the right, going in a safe distance from the road and the sights of passerby's. Aleks' shoulder gave out a cry of relief when he lifted his bags from them, tossing them to the ground. His neck and back stung from where the straps cut their way in with every movement; Aleks lifted his arms above his head and slowly rolled them back, feeling every bone and joint pop and twist under the force. It was the greatest feeling in the world at that moment. He saw Roanan cringe where he was sprawled out on the ground, nestled by the large root of an old tree.

Aleks laid on the other side, positioning his belongings to form the perfect headrest. He settled down into his bed, stretching and yawning before letting out the biggest sigh of relief he could muster, completely letting go of the thoughts and tensions he kept inside of him. For the first time in a long while, he thoroughly relaxed. Second greatest feeling in the world.

Not even the beginnings of Roanan's snoring could hold him back from closing his eyes and immediately sinking into a deep sleep.


. . . . . . . . . .


The chirping of fluttering songbirds brought him from his slumber, and could feel the heat of the morning sun urging his eyelids to open. The earth was warm below him and the wind played lightly with his hair; it felt cool on his skin and he took a deep breath of the woodsy scents that it had to offer.

He opened his eyes to all the senses around him. The light shimmered through the swaying branches and waving leaves, causing him to squint; the trees around them were so full of life compared to the gray shelter it was to them the night before. It was early morning now, and the world around them was waking up to a beautiful day. Aleks sat up and dusted off his shirt and hair before walking over to Roanan, who had managed to roll down a small hill in his sleep.

As custom, Aleks tapped Roanan on the shoulder to get him up, to which he grumbled and turned over.

“Come on, Ro!” Aleks said, he grabbed his brother's arm and pulled him over onto his back, making sure that a beam of sunlight landed directly over his eyes; to that, Roanan squinted and finally opened them.

“Alright, I'm up.” he said in between a yawn.

“You know that was your shift to keep watch...”

“Ya... I know... you should 'ave known this would 'appen.” he said pathetically, laughing behind his shame.

“I'm hopeful that maybe once you will prove me wrong!” Aleks stood over him and leaned over, giving some playful slaps to Roanan's face.

It was a blessed sign that the morning was starting off with good cheer. It was the fifth morning of their travels, and the air seemed to feel lighter each new day. The somber mood that had afflicted them after leaving Pilant became easier to bear the further they got away from it. Though the questions of what happened that eve still festered, but they were not as pressing and mind consuming as of late.

Roanan stood up to stretch and gather his belongings, “Well, Keil, we should reach Plock today.” he said.

“That's one thing to be thankful for. I just hope that grandad is still there.” A moment of reflection followed.

“ 'e's been gone twenty-four days. Almost a month. I wonder what's keepin' 'im.” Roanan said after a spell.

“We'll have to ask when we see him next.” Aleks said, trying to remain positive after all this time.

They walked back out into the main road, less worried of being spotted by a threat. The third night of their journey had yielded them an Inn nestled amongst the tree's. They were able to afford naught but a spot in the livery; the two chatted with other guests and the keepers, and though they had heard of the Pyron threat from other wanderers, there was nothing to show of it where they were. That night was the only night they slept somewhere other than the ground, and it remained a fond memory as they brushed the dust and dirt from their shoulders.

The midday had crept up behind them and caught them unaware. It was surprising to see that the sun had risen so high in the sky. The heat remained at bay, but it was terribly windy. The trees all around them gave out audible sighs as their branches and leaves were tossed about. It was a refreshing change of weather, though Aleks even had to don an extra layer to keep out the chill the wind caused. He set his pack down to grab a cloak for Roanan when he saw their salt pork in a wrap that made his mouth water. He realized that both of them had eaten very little all day.

“I think its time we took a break, Ro.” he said as they rose over the crest of a hill, his stomach growling the whole way.

“Sounds like it.” Roanan laughed, he set his bags on a large boulder and grabbed his cloak from Aleks, fighting the breeze while he put it on.

He and Aleks split a piece of bread and divided the last of the pork. It felt wonderful to sit, having walked so far in the last few days. They wanted to get to Plock by the time nightfall blanketed the sky, and were doing everything but running to make their goal. The closer they got though, the more the worry set in.

Aleks had hoped that they would simply run into Buur on the road, as he was running late on his way back home, and their journey would end there. They would find a place to settle and start over. But, that was not seeming to be the case, and Aleks' hopes were fading with every mile.

He knew that Roanan felt the same way, though he would never show it.

Aleks pulled his surcoat tighter around him as a large gust sent a chill to his bones. “I hope we get there soon, I want an Inn... and to find granddad, but mostly to get out of this wind.”

“Let's get goin' then.” Roanan said, shoving a final bite of bread into his mouth, “I'm ready to see 'da too.”

Their hopes became realized as they came to a crude wooden sign at the fork of an intersection; 'Plock' was painted on an arrow pointing to the left, an arrow for 'Bellevue Point' to the right. They chose left, following the two paces the sign said that would take them to Plock, and to Buur.

Roanan was beaming, “I told you we would make it today!” he said, and all Aleks could do was roll his eyes and try to keep up as Roanan had a burst of new-found energy.


The town of Plock was much like Pilant; it too was a small farming village surrounded on all sides by trees, with nearby cliffs that overlooked the ocean, full of people with modest lives and good intentions. It actually almost looked like home. There was one major difference though: It was not engulfed it flames.

Roanan had seen Plock on two occasions: once on a voyage with his new bride, having boarded a ship in Plock to sail the north sea and start a new life in Shadow Crest. And another time coming back from Shadow Crest when his wife and child died. Though that was two years past, Roanan still knew his way well enough through the small town.

Dusk was beginning to make its presence known as they walked up to the village, ready to be done with their travels. They entered the town coming over a low stone bridge that barely seemed to hold itself up over a murky river, its crumbling belly barely above the surface. A wooden gate stood itself at the end of the bridge, and was guarded by a man with a torch.

“Well, this is new.” Roanan told Aleks, he was about to call to the guard when the man called out first.

“Greetings, travelers.” He said after eying the two and deciding they held no threat. The brothers could tell that this man was not of the crown, having no sigils or special armor to show off his importance. Rather, he wore simple leather armor and was most likely volunteering his time for his community by standing watch. His torch flickered in the breeze.

“Good eve.” Aleks said back.

“What brings you to Plock?” he asked shrewdly.

“We are looking for someone who said they would be here, and we wish to rent a room for the evening.”

“Aye, and were are you from?” the man asked, looking directly into their eyes.

The two looked at each other with annoyance, not wanting to deal with questions. “Pilant, if it matters to ya.” Roanan said, “Now if we can enter, we 'ave had a tiring journey.”

“I see. Well, as it would be, all our Inn's are full. We've received many guests traveling from Pilant, bringing awful stories with them. That's why we built this gate, and why I'm standing watch.” the man said with haughty self-importance.

“It matters none if there is no rooms available, we'll make do.” Aleks said, the last bit of news brought some new hope. If others came from Pilant, maybe granddad did stay behind.

“Very well, stand back if you would.” the guard said, lifting a wooden stake from the ground and pulling the gate open in a wide arc.

“Ta very much.” Roanan said to the man as they passed him and finally entered the town.

The bridge entered at the upper city of Plock, where the majority of the shops and businesses were held. Tall buildings, all having been closed for the night, loomed all around them in the entry courtyard. The two were surprised to see the amount of people in the square.

“No room in the Inns? 'ow about no room anywhere.” Roanan said as he stared at all the bodies making themselves comfortable on the cobblestone tiles, leaning their weary heads against the walls of buildings, wherever they could find room. Some of the faces Roanan could recognize, behind the grief-stricken glaze of their eyes; they were faces he had seen around Pilant, working in the fields or shaking out a rug, but he could not place any of their names. He was looking for a face that would recognize him too.

Aleks must have been thinking the same thing, and Roanan saw him run to a group of people cuddled up next to the only belongings they had left. Aleks tapped the shoulder of a man the same age as him, a once childhood friend.

“Kalan! Its Aleks!” he said, “I'm happy to see you!”

All he got was a grumble in response, as Kalan pulled his blanket higher over his face.

“Have you seen my grandfather? Buur. Buur Garning?”

“No. Now go away Keil.” the other man said, not once looking up.

“Are you sure? We've heard he was here la---”

Kalan's father sat up and got in Aleks' face, “Look kid,” he said. “Things have changed. We can't help anyone but ourselves. Now move on.”

Roanan came up and took Aleks by the arm, leading him away. “We'll ask someone else.” he said, resisting the urge to fight back.

And so they did; the two walked around the square, asking everyone they thought would have heard of their grandfather's whereabouts.

There were others walking around the square too, businessmen of Plock, selling their goods and products to those who could afford such luxuries; food and clothes and tools. A Chandler was at the center of the square, setting up some of his candles to make light and warmth for the villages unexpected guests, some of who had been there for more than a week. The two brothers asked the merchants questions too, seeing if they remembered an old, stern-but-kind customer of theirs; but no one could be of help.

They moved along the stoney street away from the courtyard and across a bridge that led to a solitary hill, where Plock's House of Prayer stood, like a monumental beacon looking over the lower city. There where more torches lit at the front of the great church, illuminating another crowd, this one full of bowed heads full of silent prayers. A monk stood at the head of the crowd, shouting Trea's word to the devotees.

“You best not let any magical feelings make you go mad, Keil.” Roanan whispered, and Aleks elbowed him, laughing. A cough silenced the two, though, and they looked over to see a woman go in the crowd go into a fit, holding a dirty scarf to her mouth in an attempt to stifle the noises. Aleks understood now that these are the people who were the worst off; the poor, the weary, the sick. The people who's lives went up in smoke when Pilant did.

Aleks frantically scanned the crowd for any sign of Buur, hoping not to see him among these people who had fallen into grim situations. “I can't see any of their faces.” he said, letting his worried emotions show to his brother.

Roanan then understood what Aleks was trying to do and examined the people too, growing quickly frustrated not being able to see anybody.

Grandda!” he shouted, causing the monk to stop mid-phrase and the entire crowd of people to gasp and turn in unison. Moments passed in silence as hundreds of drooping, exhausted faces looked back at the two, some whispering to each other, and some without an emotional response.

Always acting without thinking of the consequences. Aleks thought.

“Can I help you, Sirs?” the monk asked in a shrill voice.

“We're looking for Buur Garning.” Roanan stated.

When another spell passed without a word from the crowd, the monk said, “This man must not be here, but you are most welcome to join us in prayer.”

“I'd rather not.” Roanan casually said, and Aleks elbowed him again.

“Then you may take your interruptions with you when you leave.” the clergy man boldly declared before returning to the scripture inside of his head. The crowd turned around as one body to continue to listen to the Man of God.

This time Aleks was the one to pull Roanan away, though he was still the one fuming. “That was foolish of me, Grandda would ne'er 'ave gone to the 'ouse of Prayer. No matter how desperate 'e was.”

“He could still be anywhere, Ro. Let's keep going.”

The brothers stepped around the crowd, keeping an eye on every face they passed. The mass of people, though, seemed to be never-ending; Aleks and Roanan moved as carefully as they could, stepping around the forms that descended all the way to the lower city. The stairs curved around a hill as it went down, and people lined the stairs with their heads bowed, always in the direction of the church.

The two continued asking, no one in particular, if anyone had seen or heard of Buur Garning; they even asked about Marias. At the bottom of the hill, they came to the residential district, passing under the bridge that they crossed to the House of Prayer. Houses all around them were full as well, their lights still illuminated in the front windows as the people of Plock attended to their guests.

“Do you think he is staying in somebody's house?” Aleks asked as they stumbled through the people-lined streets.

Roanan nodded at a woman who's face he recognized, “Have you seen Buur Garning?” he asked, to which she shook her head 'no'. He then looked to his brother, “That's a lot of 'ouses to check.”

“Well, there are two of us.” he said sarcastically through a yawn.

The two came to another courtyard with the same scene as the rest of the town: full of people and hopelessness.

Roanan slid his pack off of his shoulders and answered Aleks' yawn with another. “Let's start in the morning, then,” he said, “It 'as been a long day.”

They found a spot on the cobblestone nestled in between two families. Aleks asked the woman close to him if she minded their company, to which she nodded and slid her belongings over to make more room.

“Ta very much.” he replied, “I thought all kindness fell with Pilant.”

She simply smiled and turned the other direction.

What is wrong with everybody? He thought. The past events seemed to have changed them, not a single person had been kind to the two since before the first Pyron attack. Except Marias... but who knows where she could be, or if she is even alive... or real.

Memories and ideas flooded through Aleks' mind as reflected on the recent past, so much that it gave him a headache; he laid back and closed his eyes with a deep breath.

Roanan was next to him, watching the shop sign above him sway to-and-fro on the breeze. “You alright, brother?”

“Just confused is all. I'm glad we made it here, though.”

“Ya.” There was a pause, “Do you feel guilty that we're not out there looking for pa?” Roanan asked.

“I was. But then I put my head on my pillow and forgot about everything else.” Aleks jested. “Besides, it makes more sense to look for him in the daylight and after we've rested.”

“You're right,” Roanan said, “tomorrow we can ask around when people are active and 'ave their 'eads out of their rears in 'opleless prayer.”

“You better watch what you're saying there, boy.” a man close by said, “prayer is all some of these people have.”

Roanan lifted himself onto his elbow, ready to defend himself. “I do not believe I was talking to you, sir. And besides, prayer was all I 'ad once, and it let me down, so I'll say all I want to about it. Now roll yourself back around.”

The man grunted and turned away from them, cursing under his breath. When Roanan laid down again, Aleks was grinning from ear to ear, “Impressive.” he told his older brother.

“I 'ave no energy to fight back or be civil.”

“I see no reason to be civil anyway, with the way that people are treating us.”

Somebody across the small courtyard let out a ragged cough.

“At least were not next to him.” Roanan muttered.

“Just go to sleep, brother. We'll both feel better in the morning.” Aleks reassured, and the two laid back down for some much needed rest. For a moment, everyone, albeit the occasional night gryllee, was quiet.

Another cough rang out. And another. Aleks opened one eye, dreading the thought of trying to sleep through that sound... Roanan's snoring was bad enough.

Cough. 

Aleks perched himself up to try and locate whomever was making the noise. People were vocalizing their displeasure to the man, saying “not again” and “be quiet, old man.”

Aleks' ears perked at the last call, and hope filled him yet again; he looked in the direction of the crowds unsympathetic remarks. Aleks had to squint to make out the man's face in the dark; he was hunched over in a fit, with a handkerchief-ed hand to his mouth.

When the realization came to him, a spark of energy jolted through his veins; he turned and shuffled through his bag, digging for his empty wine-sack. He hit Roanan awake and told him to come quick.

It was quiet in the middle of the square, with the only the sound of Aleks' footsteps filling the air, along with the slow trickle of water from the center fountain. He stopped to fill the bag, only taking as much as he needed, and bounded off again towards the old man. Aleks knelt down when he got to him, handing him the water. The face that looked back was not who Aleks hoped it would be, but it was one step closer to finding it.

“Orlon, drink this.” Aleks said.

It took the old man a moment to recognize him, but when he did, a gaunt smile spread across his face. His shaking fingers went from reaching for the water bag to clasping onto Aleks' hands. “Oh, I am so happy to-” cough “-see you, young one.” Orlon sighed.

“Glad to see you too, old man.” Roanan said, coming up to them. He gave Orlon, who was taking his drink, a pat on the shoulder.

“Ah, Roanan, you are here too. Good. I was afraid the two of you were dead.” Orlon said when he got a breath in.

They put their voices to a whisper when they received some incriminating looks.

“Why would you think that?” Aleks asked.

“Its been so long since I left Pilant, and when you failed to come around, I assumed the worst.”

“We only got 'ere this evening.” Roanan explained.

“Well then, you both are insane for staying in that town as long as you did.” the old man said, running short of breath.

“You should see it now, Orlon. Pilant is completely destroyed.” Aleks said, “we left five days ago on the fourth Pyron invasion.

Orlon nodded like he was expecting the news. “I knew that those b******s would keep coming back, that is why I left the first night. We should have all listened to your grandfather, I suppose. Where is old Buur anyways?”

Both Aleks and Roanan's faces turned sour. “We were hoping you had seen him.” Aleks said grimly.

“Oh dear. No, I'm afraid he's not here. I looked for him first thing, too. He told me he had some business in Plock on the day that he left. I figured perhaps he got word of Pyron's attack and rushed home to the two of you. But when I got here, nobody in Plock knew of the attack yet. It baffled me.”

Aleks and Roanan were confused too, they looked at each other with the same thought in their minds. If he's not here, then where is he?

Not a word was said for a long while, and Orlon continued to sip on his water, seeming to ponder the same question. He had a look in his eyes, under heavy lids, that obviously showed that he missed his friend. “I worry about him.” he finally said.

“Perhaps 'e is in somebody's 'ouse? Maybe you just 'avent seen 'im.” Roanan rationalized.

“Oh, son. I've walked as far through this town as my old legs would take me and I have been asking around for more than a fortnight. No one has heard of Buur.” he yawned, “Or of Marias for that matter.”

“He has to be here.” Aleks told Roanan, “we've come to far for him not to be here.”

“Let's take a look around in the morning like we planned.” Roanan said, “we'll decide what to do if what Orlon says is true.”

They looked back to the old man, whose eyes had drifted closed and he was hunched in a sitting position, asleep. 

“Orlon,” Aleks said, giving a gentle shake to his shoulder to wake him, “you need to lie down. We'll talk to you in the morning. We have something to tell you about Marias.”

The old man nodded without opening his eyes again; Aleks and Roanan helped him onto his back and placed a cushion under his head, leaving him to rest. They walked back to their stone beds with heavy hearts, having what little hope they still carried ripped away by Orlon's words. All they could do now was hope that he was wrong.

Every ounce of new-found energy Aleks had when he saw Orlon was now gone, and his exhaustion wore in. The news depressed him and a sick feeling of worry set in his gut. He was nervous to find out what the next day would bring.

“I know you 'ave a difficult time not worrying about things, brother.” Roanan said, noticing the jitter in Aleks' hand that he placed to his stomach, “but the best thing for you to do is to not think about it. Worry about finding Pa in the morning.”

Roanan laid down next to him and let out a large sigh, closing his eyes.

Aleks was envious of Roanan and his ability to let things go, to set his problems aside and pick them up when he was ready to deal with them. Aleks closed his eyes and let out a sigh, trying to mimic Roanan's intentions.

His imitation failed. “What if he's not here, Ro? He's all we have left.”

“I know. We 'ave to sleep though, Keil. That is what is most 'elpful to us now.”

Aleks rolled in his bed, turning away from Roanan's callous advice. He stared at the swaying sign that Roanan was eying earlier, hoping that focusing on something would distract him from his thoughts.

“Im scared too, Keil.” Roanan said after a moment, “I miss my granddad.”

His brother's words were enough to divert the attention from Aleks' mind. It was very rare that Roanan shared his feelings, or said anything genuinely emotional, and it gave Aleks a sense of honor to be the one to hear him. It made Aleks reflect on the bond between him and his brother, that only grew stronger with each hardship they faced together. No matter what happened in the days to come, the two would be fine as long as they had each other. The thought brought a smile to his face. “I miss him too, Ro. Now sleep.” Aleks said, mocking his brother.

For the first night in many, a calm, relaxing feeling washed over him, and he gave into it. At first, it was odd to feel peaceful in one of the most tumultuous times in his life, but then he embraced it with welcome arms.

This must be what Roanan feels like all the time. Aleks thought, and he gave a snicker. It was the last thing that came to his mind before his weariness completely succumbed to a warm, serene blanket of darkness and he finally went to sleep.


. . . . . . . . . .


“Aleks, get up. Something's 'appening.” he heard Roanan say, and when his mind awoke, he could definitely tell something was happening. He felt the woman next to him shuffling and standing.

When he opened his eyes, the gray light of a cloudy morning filled his senses; there were people all around him hustling to their feet as if to stay down meant certain death. They were all mumbling to each other, all as confused about the commotion as Aleks was.

When he got to his feet, the world made a bit more sense. People were staring in the direction that they had come the night before, towards the church, were a frantic man was shoving and pushing his way through the crowd.

“What's his problem?” Aleks said, to nobody in particular. He looked through the field of faces across the courtyard and saw Orlon standing squinty-eyed, looking more perplexed than most.

The whispers spread their way through the crowd faster than the man could travel, and Aleks and Roanan grew strangely anxious as they saw the wave of gossip flow towards them.

“We should go to Orlon.” Aleks said, and started moving amongst the bodies around him, with Roanan close behind. The gasps and sighs grew louder as they went, the wave coming ever closer.

Aleks placed his hand on the small of a woman's back, to let her know he was behind her, and she turned to him with a dainty hand to her aghast mouth.

“Have you heard?” she piped, “There's news from the capitol, there was a murder from the Pyron clan. It's posted at the House of Prayer.”

What are Pyron doing all the way in the capitol?

“Ta very much.” Roanan told the woman, then he turned to his brother, “Lets get Orlon.”

They passed the news on as they went, to keep the flow going, and when they reached their old friend, word still had not reached him. Or perhaps it did, but was told too quietly for old ears.

He seemed relieved when he saw them, and grabbed on to Roanan's arm like a lost child re-uniting with its parents.

“What is happening?” the old man asked.

The two had no time to answer him before the group, as a whole, began walking up the road towards the House of Prayers curved stairway. It was rough going; people were rushing shoulder to shoulder and poor Orlon could hardly manage to stay on his feet. Aleks and Roanan supported him on either side, explaining to him everything that the young woman had told them moments ago.

“I wonder if they also got news of the attacks in Pilant.” Orlon said.

“I would imagine someone in the capital knows by now.” Roanan said, “Its been over a month since they've started their raids.”

“Ya, let's hope somebody from Pilant headed that way when they left.” Aleks piped in.

The crowd slowed to a crawl as they forced their way through the narrow streets and pathways of Plock. People seemed desperate to see the news, and grew more hostile the slower they went, their impetuosity making them throw elbows and shoulders into their neighbors, jostling with those around them in an attempt to move faster.

What could be making such a fuss? Aleks thought. It was then that he saw a man nudge his way against the crowd, coming towards them down the stairs, looking frantically at all the faces around him.

The man got close enough for Aleks to make out his face, he saw it was his Kalan, and recognized that it was his name that his old friend was calling out.

Why would he be looking for me? Must have had a change of mood since last night.

Aleks took a hand off of Orlon's arm to call out. “Kalan!” he yelled, loud enough for his voice to carry over the crowds roar.

The man heard a response to his cries, and turned in the direction of which it came. Aleks saw a smile of relief spread across the face of his former friend. Yet, there was something mixed with his smile that Aleks could not make out, but he had a feeling in his gut that told him it was not good.

They met at the bottom of the stairs, and Kalan spoke immediately. “Have you seen the bulletin?' he asked. Roanan stared on, and when Aleks shook his head, Kalan continued. “Then you need to come with me right away.”

Worry. That's what else I saw in his smile.

He recognized it when he heard the concerned tone in Kalan's voice. And although he was now evermore curious, he grew reluctant to follow. The sense of urgency that Kalan gave off when he started shoving his way back through the crowd, though, made Aleks rush closely behind.

He'd climbed a few steps when he looked back to Roanan and Orlon. Roanan was waving him on ahead, telling him to go read the news, but Aleks felt a sting of guilt like a knife in the gut.

Whatever is on that bulletin must be important, and I can't read it without my brother.

He called ahead for Kalan to stop and turned around. Roanan seemed to be struggling on his own carrying the old man, who was now breathing heavily and doing very little to support himself. Aleks ducked under his other arm and took half the weight when Orlon started to protest.

“Stop fussing over me. You two go on ahead. I'll rest here. Whatever is on that paper be imperative for your friend to come and get you.”

“Alright then.” Roanan said, he seemed more than willing to set the old man down. They walked him over to the edge of the stairs and sat him on a step, leaning against the stone wall.

“Are you sure you'll be fine?” Aleks asked him. Orlon only nodded as he set his head against a rock, lifting his arm only enough to shoo them away. “Go.” he said in a dry, raspy voice.

Kalan stood in the center of the crowd, letting people past him as he waited for Aleks and Roanan. When they met him, the feeling of urgency again took over, and the went as fast as they could.

“Hurry, you need to see this.” he said.

“Can you just tell us?” Aleks asked, growing somewhat sick of this hurried pace that had been with them all morning.

“It's really not my place.” Kalan said with enough conviction to put an end to the conversation.

The stairs finished their curve and the front of the House of Prayer made its appearance known; there was again a crowd all around it, although the people in this one weren't bowed in prayer or silent. There were shouts and cries coming from all directions, and the air was full of noise.

Aleks could see a single yellowing piece of parchment twitching in the breeze on the church's door, and there were people rotating in front of it, each taking their turn to read the great news.

“Out of the way please! They are here.” Kalan shouted to the folks in front of him.

Aleks gave him a strange look, and Roanan leaned forward to speak into his ear. “Are they expecting us?”

People turned around when Kalan announced their arrival, and flashes of shock and sadness spread across their faces.

“It's them.” a lady sighed, followed by a man who whispered: “Those were the two searchin' for him.”

Him? Who's him? Buur! No.

The crowd started backing away, letting them through. The air that had been bustling with excitement and calamity all morning now fell into an eerie calm.

The eyes of hundreds of people could be felt as they moved forward, but Aleks avoided all of them and looked straight ahead, only at the renowned letter.

It seemed to take forever to reach the stairs of the church, and when they finally did, Aleks paused, not sure if his legs would be able to make the ascent. He realized that he was shaking and there was a nervousness inside of him that could not be quelled.

Aleks could hear Roanan's heavy breathing behind him and knew that his brother felt the same way.

“Let's go, Keil. There's nothing on that parchment that can stop us. We can 'andle anything.” he said.

Roanan took the first step up, and Aleks reached up and clasped onto his arm, propelling him forward; he knew that he would not make it alone.

Get a hold of yourself, Aleksandar Keilrich. He told himself. He felt like a child again, shaking, scared and clinging onto his brothers arm just like he had when he came to live with them after his entire family had been massacred.

The same energy he felt then was in the air now, a strangely familiar foreboding sensation, emanating from that one sheet of parchment. When he got close enough to make out individual words, he turned his head away, not able to look at it.

Instead, he looked back at the crowd. The stone courtyard in front of the church had cleared a few paced around them, and all the people watched on silent as could be, like they were holding their breath.

He saw Kalan was amongst them, as well as a few others that he recognized as he scanned the masses. He saw the two children that had ran in front of them on the last day they worked the fields in Pilant. They seemed to have grown immensely in the recent hardship they faced. Back then they seemed like nothing in the world could stop them, and then Pyron did. No longer were they happy and running; they only stood and stared, with gaunt, sunken eyes.

The little girl looked from him to the parchment on the door, and for a moment, Aleks forgot why he was there. He turned forward but still resisted to raise his eyes.

He saw that Roanan left his side and he slowly looked up to see his brother's feet at the door of the House of Prayer; he scrolled up higher and saw Roanan's hand following the words on the parchment, moving from line to line, dwelling on each word. When his hand fell to his side, Aleks' heart sank and his breath caught in his throat.

In a beat, he climbed the stairs and stood next to his brother. He saw a tear fall down Roanan's cheek and his head roll forward to the ground. Roanan unfurled a clenched fist to wipe the hot tear from his face.

“Ro?”

"Why did he go to Lossain without telling us?” Roanan asked.

A twitch from the parchment caught his eye and there were no more excuses Aleks could think of to stop him from reading it.

The first thing he noticed was the royal seal stamped in golden wax at the top of the fold. A brilliant sun topped with a gilded crown. He scrolled down and began with the titles:


From the offices of his majesty, King Drom Averus Sease, and his queen, Lady Romay Madeira Beauvoir.


My dearest people of Reaconia. I have sent letters like this to every township in the realm, sending with them the gravest of news. It is a matter of sincere regret to me and to this realm to announce that the Pyron clan is again at large, having plundered and burned the town of Pilant in the far eastern Woods. Those people directly effected by this treason are uppermost in our thoughts, and we commend you for your bravery, having endured so much with patience and courage. I have sent troups to your aid and, with Trea's help, hope to have you returned to Pilant within a month. Back home, you will be able once more to enjoy the happiness of household and see many good days among you. We anxiously look for your return home.

In similar news, it pains me to say that the treacherous reach of this abominable clan has touched the capitol: One from Pilant, a man we discovered to have the name of Buur Mirro Garning, was murdered within the city walls, having traveled across the country to bring me news of the Clans treason. It is my opinion that this heroic man's knowledge contributed to his death, which came after I spoke with him, depriving me of the pride of personally conferring upon him the Emperador Cross, the greatest of all rewards for valour and devotion to duty.

Any who knew this man will be welcome in the capitol, and we will keep an eye on the horizon for your arrival.

It seems that history may be repeating itself, but there is no need to worry. Just as it did thirteen years ago, this realm will prevail and the Pyron clan will be quelled.

I pray that good graces fall in every other corner of my monarchy.



Drom Averus Sease


Tears fell without warning, and a grievous feeling of uncertainty fell over him.

“I knew it, I knew something had happened to him.” he said, loud enough so only he could hear. He looked at the words again.

I know what it says, but what does it mean? What happens now? He was all we had left.

He turned to Roanan, who still had his head sulked and his fists tightened; the faces around him were a blur, and he could hear tiny cries in the air from people moved by what they had just seen. He walked over to Roanan and wrapped his arms around his older brother.

It is my turn to be strong now.

Roanan returned the embrace and let out all of his emotions. He trembled in Aleks' arms and sobbed into his shoulder; Aleks had to fight the urge not to burst into tears himself. As hard as it was for him, it meant the end of the world for Roanan. Buur had taken Aleks into his home and had raised him for over ten years, but he had been Roanan's true grandfather, had raised him from birth, helped him through the toughest of times, and now he was gone. And he was never going to come back.

The young woman that had told them the news in the crowd earlier that morning had stepped out of the mass and came to them. She reached the top of the stairs with outstretched arms and hugged them both.

Roanan lifted his head at the touch and she smiled at him. “You will both be fine. I've read the letter and, to me, that man is a hero, you should be proud.”

Her words were soothing, and exactly the thing that they needed to hear. Roanan stood up straight and looked her in the eye. “Ta very much... again.” he said with a smile.

“I think you should go to him.” she said, looking back at the door of the church, where the parchment hung, “If he can make it all that way, you can to.”

“We do need to go, Roanan. The letter said we'd be welcome, and we can find out what really happened to him.”

“Yeah.” he said, nodding, still comprehending the situation.

Roanan started walking away, and the crowd parted in front of him like the sea divided by the hull of a ship. Aleks made eye contact with the girl again, smiling as gratefully as he could before running after his brother. People eyed the two the entire way back down the stairs, whispering their praises and blessings to them as they passed.

“Roanan, perhaps we should leave now, while we still have plenty of daylight---”

“Keil, I just need a moment alone.” he snapped, and then turned on the crowd. “Will everyone move. Please.”

Again, the air grew silent, and Roanan continued on his way.

Halfway down the stairs, Aleks found Orlon right where they had set him down. His head was still set against the stone wall, and his crossed arms rose and fell with his shallow, sleepy breaths.

“Orlon.” Aleks said, barely above a whisper, and the old man's eyes popped open.

“Oh, hello boy.” he said, “Apologies, I never sleep very soundly anymore, though it never fails to creep up on me.”

“That's alright. I just wanted to tell you that Roanan and I need to leave.”

His jovial attitude quickly left him. “What do you mean? Where is your brother?”

“Orlon...” his voice caught in his throat, he needed to tell Orlon what he had read, but saying it aloud for the first time proved harder than he ever imagined. He took a moment to admit it to himself before he went on. “Grandda--- Buur... he's dead.” Aleks cleared his throat. “He was murdered in the capitol. That's why we need to go.”

The old man raised a wrinkled hand to his astounded mouth, and Aleks saw tears well in his eyes. Orlon grasped the color of Aleks' shirt. “Now you listen here.” He began. “You take anything of mine that you need, and when you see your grandfather... you say goodbye from me. Do you understand.”

Aleks had no choice but to nod, Orlon's conviction was too strong to refuse.

“Now go.” the old man said in a cough, then he reached under his shirt and brought up a small bag from around his neck. Aleks felt a few bricks beneath the thin material. Aleks started to voice a protest when Orlon spoke again, “Take that too. I will be fine, nobody will turn away a poor old sick man. You find your brother and you leave.” He gave Aleks a light shove, pushing him away, enough to propel him down the rest of the stairs.

Orlon watched Aleks closely, making sure the young man kept his head forward and was out of sight, before he clutched his chest above his heart and let the pain show on his face. “Well, old Buur, looks like we'll be seeing each other before we know it.”


Aleks wasted no time; he shuffled through the crowd as fast as he could, looking for Roanan. He reached the courtyard and found the spot where they had spent the night, and saw that Roanan had not been there. Aleks packed up their bedrolls, checked their belongings, stopped at the center fountain to fill their wine-skins and then went over to Orlons pack. He fought the urge to ignore the old man's request, but knew that Orlon would fume for the rest of his days if he failed to listen. It felt wrong, but he stuck his hand in the first pocket of the worn pack, looking at the belongings it held inside.

In the end, Aleks had an extra knife, some hardy candles, fishing line, strips of dried meat and a handful of dried bread squares, along with the money pouch. Before he could change his mind and put it all back, he left the square; all that was left to do was find his brother.

After a while of traveling, and asking townsfolk where to go, he found Plock's western gate and the path that they would travel to get to the capitol.

Roanan was there, and smiled when he saw his brother.

“Are you alright, brother?” Aleks told him, handing him his bag.

“Ya. I actually am fine.” Roanan said, “Now, 'ow do you feel about bringing that girl along with us?”

Aleks could do nothing but let out a laugh. He always knows how to ruin a moment.

“I would rather not face the crowd again,” Aleks said, “She was pretty, though.”

Roanan wrapped his arm around Aleks' neck and started walking, “I'm sure we'll find one like 'er for ya soon though, brother.”

“Perhaps in the capitol!”

“Yes.” Roanan said, “Let's get going.”



© 2014 Aleks Edwin


Author's Note

Aleks Edwin
Hope you enjoy this one!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

383 Views
Added on May 1, 2014
Last Updated on May 1, 2014
Tags: brothers, adventure, family, tragedy, Reaconia


Author

Aleks Edwin
Aleks Edwin

Portland, OR



About
Hello everyone! glad to meet people here! I recently started writing again after (too long of) a break, and it is again a great hobby of mine! Not many of my friends are writers, so it's great to b.. more..

Writing
I Want. I Want.

A Poem by Aleks Edwin