Indistinguishable Flames

Indistinguishable Flames

A Story by Aloysha Giane Vito
"

a guide on which torch to follow when one finds themselves in a cave

"

Such as the glimmer of freshwater, humans have adapted a keen eye for whatever glimmers, for whatever glimmers resemble and shows us where the lifeblood of life itself might be- water. So as far back as human history foretold, man has always searched for what has glimmered. Today we may have forgotten that glimmer’s role in evolution and survival, but the glimmer- whatever it means now, still bears its reflection in our eyes and casts a myriad of fancies and a symphony of color within our minds.

Such as news. Such as the jewel that holds Prometheus’ flame, bright and glorious! This flame leads the way, and when held at good distance and held by those who wish to lead the way out of this our sorrow, of this our cave- it can surely lead us away from the dark recesses of ignorance and bring us- as the Shepherd of Hermas once did, into the living light of truth. This flame, however, can also be utilized to harm and to render one blind. This the flame so bright and true, its truth can be pressed unto the eyes that see, and by their resulting blindness, do the blind rely ever so heavily on the deceiver who holds their hand and leads them to wherever the deceiver pleases and not the path in which the light reveals.

Resist this primitive and animalistic desire to be enchanted and held captive to your addiction to the light’s glow at the cost of your sight. Resist this modern and nihilistic delusion of refusing to bear witness to the truth the light shows in favor for the shadows your eyes see and staying idle as the light leaves without you, rendering you blind as the world around you darkens without the light present to guide you, and the shadows of your false conclusions fade into the very same darkness. You must stand amidst the light, not outside of it and not with your face pressed against it. You must be in its presence, yet resist when it threatens to blind you and run after it should it threaten to leave you. This light is not divine. It is the light of a torch whose fire comes from the mountain in which the true Light shines above us all. This is a mortal light, let not your obedience to it render you mindless, let not your pride against it render you blind. This is the light of the sensible, it shines bright yellow and orange, but so does the light of the liars. Be wise as to not be left by the wise who hold their wise flame and be wise as to not be blinded by the profane flame of liars.

© 2019 Aloysha Giane Vito


Author's Note

Aloysha Giane Vito
belletristic once again, hammer down on style and grammar pls

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9 Views
Added on October 18, 2019
Last Updated on October 18, 2019
Tags: essay, Belles-lettres, truth, news, awareness, activism, Plato's cave