Sunset

Sunset

A Story by Aj Brisson
"

This is a scene between two characters from another work of mine. I was just experimenting with their interactions with each other and I consider this one of those pleasant surprises that writers get

"

The sun was setting over the lake, paining the sky and the crystal water with the dazzling oranges and pinks of summer’s dusk.  Just audible over the gently rocking waves were the faint buzzing sounds of mosquitoes and the evening anthem of chirping crickets.

Spike took one final drag of his cigarette and in a smooth motion, flicked the smoldering butt into the water where it went out with a hiss and floated on the surface like a tiny cancerous boat. He stretched his arms out and laid down on his back. His black t-shirt and choppy black hair fanned out around him on the unsanded wooden dock.

He closed his eyes against the fading pink light of the sunset and heard a frustrated groan, the sound of a pen scratching on paper, and a loud rip. He opened his eyes just in time to see Dalton crumple up the page from his notebook and chuck it into the sparkling waters below where it floated next to his feet.

“Litterbug” Spike said with a grin.

Dalton looked down at his friend who was still laying on the dock. “Right,” he said, “and cigarette butts are so damn good for the fish.”

“Nemo’s picking up a bad habit.”

“Jackass.”

“What are you oh so dramatically throwing into the lake anyways?” Spike asked getting up on his elbows.

Dalton pushed back his bangs �" jet black with a bright red stripe dyed into them �" and began to use his upper teeth to nibble on his lip ring; a motion that Spike recognized as his companion’s tell to frustration.

 

“Oh, come on.”Spike sighed, “don’t go all secretive writer on me, now. ‘It’s not finished yet! Don’t look! I only wrote it in ten minutes!’

Dalton shook his head. Spike was always surprised that his friend never jingled when he did that, considering how many piercings were in the boy’s face.

“It doesn't matter.” Dalton mumbled.

“Okay, I might just believe that if you weren't throwing s**t into the water like that old woman from Titanic.” Spike rolled over onto his side and ran a hand down his body. “Paint me like one of your French girls.”

Dalton gave his friend a playful push. “You’re the artist, remember?”

“That’s right and you've seen every damn doodle I've ever done did….you dink.”

Dalton laughed. “Fine, if I tell you do you promise to shut the f**k up?”

Spike shrugged. “I don’t make promises I can’t keep.”

“It’s something for Sean.” A blush quickly spread out over Dalton’s pale face.

Spike sat upright and gave his friend a nudge. “Oooh! Writing horny little notes to the boyfriend are we?”

“Why is everything always about sex with you?”

“Not always, just frequently.”

“Pig.”

“Prude.”

“Anyways,” Dalton said with a dramatic eye roll “I wanted to write something for his birthday, something… romantic I guess.” The blush had now gone from pink do a red so bright it nearly matched the stripe in his hair.

“And what, you don’t wanna tell him how you feel?”

“I don’t know how to tell him how I feel! S**t, do I even know how I even f*****g feel? Every time I try to write something sweet, it just wont come out properly. Then I start to think about all the guys he’s been with before me, which is a lot�"“ He ran a hand through his choppy hair and cast a glance at Spike who was fishing another Pall Mall from a crushed pack and lighting up. “Can I bum one of those?”

“You don’t even smoke!”

“Maybe one will calm me down or something.”

Spike shook his head, “No way. These things are horrible, disgusting and bad for your health.”

“Says the guy sucking them back like it’s nobody’s business.”

Spike took a deep drag and exhaled a cloud of smoke. “I’m trying to smoke them all so there’s none left for you to have. It’s a public service, really.”

Dalton shook his head. “Yes, you’re quite the philanthropist.”

“Hey, what did I tell you about using those big fancy writer’s words around me? You know I was never one fer yer book lernins an’ such.”

Dalton chucked.

“Anyways, go on. You think about the guys before you?”

“Yea, and I start to wonder if I’m just like them, you know? Here one day then gone the next. Then whatever I write for him starts to come out bitter and almost mean, and when I try not to do that, everything just seems forced. I mean, clearly I care about him and everything and he makes me happy but I just can’t put it into f*****g words! It’s frustrating…it’s�"“

“Love.”

Dalton stopped and looked at Spike, his brilliant green eyes as big as saucers. “What?”

“Hate to tell you, bud �" but you’re in love. Cupid took his arrow and shot you square in the a*s.” He laughed. “Gay joke not intended, just a happy accident.”

“I may be new to the whole dating thing, but shouldn't love be…I don’t know…easier?.”

Spike roared with laughter. “This isn't a Disney movie, Cinderella. You know how people say that soul mates are like two perfect puzzle pieces?”

Dalton nodded.

“It’s actually more like trying to cram together a couple of pieces from totally different puzzles. It’s a struggle, you fight, get frustrated and think it will never work �" these two pieces are just not meant to go together. But, eventually after the fighting and frustration, they manage to fit almost like these two totally different pieces from two totally different worlds were made to connect with one another.”

Dalton gave a weak smile.

“That’s a pretty good way to describe it actually.”

“Well, I am pretty good.” Spike said. “But I don’t think you’re supposed to describe it, not completely.”

“So, what…I show him I love  him instead?”

“By God, he gets it!” Spike shouted before laying back down on the dock. “Take him somewhere romantic, show him a good time…use protection.”

Dalton smirked. “Okay, how about a movie date?”

Spike shook his head. “Nope, surround sound and sticky floors are not romantic.”

“Dinner date?”

“Great plan! Fatten him up so he can’t get away.”

Dalton sighed. “Okay Romeo, what is a romantic place?”

Spike thought for a moment, his smoldering Pall Mall stuck between his lips.

“Graveyard.”

“Come again?”

“I think graveyards are romantic.”

“Because…you’re totally fucked?”

“Because, it’s calm, quiet and has this mystical feeling �" like you can feel every couple there who has loved each other so much in life, that are now together forever.”

“That’s actually a really sweet thought,” said Dalton “and surprising coming from you.”

Spike took another drag from his cigarette. “Plus there’s no lake for some dickhead writer to throw crumpled papers into.”

 

            

© 2013 Aj Brisson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It was so funny but very sweet at the same time;) Spike seemed an uncaring man but in the end he was being a friend. His suggestion made me laugh and the last line? Awesome! Dalton was so cute when he blushed while trying to find a present and trying to organize a very good date with his man. You really did a good job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aj Brisson

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I plan to write much more with these characters.



Reviews

It was so funny but very sweet at the same time;) Spike seemed an uncaring man but in the end he was being a friend. His suggestion made me laugh and the last line? Awesome! Dalton was so cute when he blushed while trying to find a present and trying to organize a very good date with his man. You really did a good job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aj Brisson

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I plan to write much more with these characters.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
4 Reviews
Added on July 4, 2013
Last Updated on July 4, 2013
Tags: boys, summer, dialogue, gay, lgbt, relationship, love

Author

Aj Brisson
Aj Brisson

Canada



About
A 19 year old aspiring writer. The best thing about writing is escaping into the many worlds you create. The scariest part is meeting the horrors that dwell within the shadows of these worlds. more..

Writing
Typewriter Typewriter

A Story by Aj Brisson