Deathly Heat

Deathly Heat

A Poem by AJNJ
"

Sad Summer Haikus

"

Summer parches lakes 

To cracking grey earthen bowls

Thirsting squirrels weep

 

Raising yellow beaks

To the sky, a burning shroud

Mynas pant for rain

 

Brownish wart on green

A butterfly hops on leaves

Sun rays scorched its wings

 

Blazing asphalt roads

Scalding tender little paws

Puppies yelp in pain

 

Nourished on a drop

A sapling daring to bloom

Praying for more dew 


© 2020 AJNJ


Author's Note

AJNJ
Not sure...please tell me if they touched you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very appropriate theme, dear P! I have heard you are having a heatwave on the subcontinent with temperatures well over 40 degrees centigrade in some places, and for days on end, too. Your series of haikus, all perfectly on point, illustrate just what suffering the flora and fauna are enduring. From tiny mammals to avian friends, butterflies, flowers and even pets like cats and dogs. All are suffering in this heat and desperately awaiting the cooling change and the arrival of the monsoon. It's all well described, showing the lethargy of the season while also giving a glimpse of hope in your resolutely blooming bud in that final haiku. It's a wonderful conjoined series of haikus that have come together in a lovely cohesive whole. Its fine work. Stay safe in your air con, dear P! Else your poetry ideas may wilt in this heat! Much enjoyed! :))

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

A little Bethoven will go a long way indeed...I need a release...more words perhaps...?
.

3 Years Ago

I look forward to reading what comes next, then! :))
AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Maybe about scorched, sleep-deprived squirrels and rabbits! All that comes to mind in this May heat .. read more



Reviews

Brits, we don't do well in the sun, wilting at the first sign of the stuff, but we do persevere, knowing the black cloud is never too far away for the ritual rain dance. Beats me why we pay thousands to go to hot countries. Still, the birds are chirping and nature is blooming, it's a win, win.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

This is a brief spell when the air seems to be on fire! Indeed, not the right time to trot to this s.. read more
absolutely touched me...so much so i forgot they were haiku...i was lost in the imagery...even the dog's paws are burning.
like feet on hot sand on the beach.
well done.
j.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

The air is on fire! It feels like that. Thank you very much sir!
A series of perfectly penned haikus. That scorching heat can certainly cause problems for creatures and plant life alike. These are so rich in imagery Pestonjee. We have hot weather here also, and this creature is hiding from the sun in fear of the burn. No dried out lakes yet though. Lovely work.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

The heat here is peaking now and the temperatures are touching about 44 degrees Celsius. Just had to.. read more
We haven’t entered this level of summer brutality here yet, but I know it’s coming. And your series of haiku evokes the oppression and omnipresence of the heat so well. The weeks without rain where even mature trees seem to be panting and withering. Being on edge wondering if everything is simply going to turn to dust. Feeling cut off from nature because we don’t feel equal to the fury of her moods.

But the poor animals have nowhere to run and must endure the rainless heat for days on end and adapt or perish. The everydayness of this struggle is well presented here. And the distance offered in the poem-voice mirrors the distance of nature itself which neither feeds nor starves with discrimination. All bounty and all deprivation are equally dispersed without consideration for circumstance.

I thought these not only offered a great snapshot of a moment, but also touched on something most regions of the world are facing as a new reality. Heat and drought dominating at least some point in the year and both the animal and human population not yet adapted to the harshness of the shifting environment. Can feel the heat in reading your poems, and am dreading its arrival here. Great work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

The heat here is peaking now and the temperatures are touching about 44 degrees Celsius. Just had to.. read more
Eilis

3 Years Ago

I think haiku are one of the easier forms to experiment with. The constraint makes you really think .. read more
AJNJ

3 Years Ago

You’re welcome. Thanks to you too!
Apart from the excellent write, you have touched on a very difficult situation and we have seen the difficulties you have been going through, burning Koalas etc.
those poor birds/animals don't really know anything other than to be affected
very sorry situation

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Indeed, I can see furtive painful activity from my window! It’s summer hell. Thank you for appreci.. read more
A quintet of lovely and unique imagery.
Each haiku stands on its own, yet all flow together, nicely.
Impressive work!


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Thank you very much sir. Written at 1 am so Im glad this piece is appreciated by you :) Big Thanks!
We are having some Summer days in Michigan. We need, the rain flooded many parts of Michigan. I enjoyed the poem, the heat of Summer. Always a pleasure after a long Winter. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Thank you very much dear sir. Your words are a great source of joy to me here.
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

I am glad and you are welcome.
i could add my own verse to this, something along the lines of

'beads of sweat trickle as laptop heats the lap, Ana thirsts for reprieve'

Don't know about you but it's been hot here the last few days.

I should complain after the cold but there's a noticeable laziness about when the weather is hot

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Hahaha! I like that Ms. Ana! :)
Laptops do heat up quite a bit and the reason I switched to.. read more

message received sir .. loud and clear... I am mightily impressed with this fine example of stacked haiku .. give ya self a pat on the back from me and the gang and have a well deserved pint on me....

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Gave myself a pat and an exra pint and hence a bit late in responding to this encouraging review, de.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


my pleasure entirely...
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
;)
Quite a sad evocation in these lines; the relentless brutality of the heat of Summer and the scalding influence it has on the lives of so many helpless animals. When water is scarce and the heat dominates the landscape even a droplet is valuable for survival. Your Haikus convey the sense of suffering here very well. Whatever the species, all are affected by the heat and survival becomes all encompassing. I liked the final image of a parched bud threatening to bloom. A pure image of hope and survival against the odds. So very well done. A very artistic offering, if i may say.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AJNJ

3 Years Ago

Thank you dear sir PicAssO! You got me so rightly here. The agony of these 9 hottest days of the yea.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 26, 2020
Last Updated on May 28, 2020

Author

AJNJ
AJNJ

Writing
O Fugly One! O Fugly One!

A Poem by AJNJ


Picaro Picaro

A Poem by AJNJ



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sorry Ladies! Sorry Ladies!

A Poem by AJNJ


Ripples Ripples

A Poem by AJNJ