The Institute of Children's Literature

The Institute of Children's Literature

A Story by A.L. James
"

Whay happened to my second lesson, Writer's Cafe it aint'

"

I signed up for a college course through this company. I had heard mixed reviews about them. Some people said' "Oh they just want your money. They will say nice things to you and then bug you to take more classes when you finish the course, but you will never get published if you trust them."
When I got my first lesson edited, I suspected that the nay-sayers were right. It was peachy sweet, even though the article was a bit lackluster.


OK, I figured. The website has some fabulous articles about how to write, what formulas have been proven winners, ect. Even if it is a happy pat on the back sort of thing; I am going to get all the information I can outta these folks. My second assignment was just a fun romp scribbled before I headed to work one morning.



What an eye opener! I got back my edited assignment covered with so much red ink I could hardly see the original underneath. My instructor took a great deal of time editing that peice of junk. He patiently explained why some things didn't work, and what I needed to do to fix it. He sent his own articles that were not posted on the website for me on basic punctuation and English grammar.



This is a public apology to a terrific proffessor. Proffessor McColley, I will never turn in rushed scribbles again. I will treat you with the respect you deserve. I am sorry I ever doubted you.



To the rest of you aspiring authors I would say-

If you can afford to take this course, it is a wealth of practical information. If you really mean to become an author, you should scrape together the cash and get help from the pros. It isn't that expensive really. The class costs about the same as a tank of gas per month. ( If you drive a small car.)

Hope and pray you get Proffessor Kevin McColley for your instructor.

Oh, what a guy!

© 2008 A.L. James


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That's a good anecdote for evidence that the Institute of Children's Literature is worthwhile. The only way we know whether some of these sites is good value or not is based on other people's referrals. Thanks for the personal information.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
1 Review
Added on July 23, 2008

Author

A.L. James
A.L. James

A ghost town in Central, TX



About
I am a 53 year old widow. I love life, and I love writing. My day job will allow me to go to conventions and events as often as I wish during the summer. I am interested in fantasy and sci fi. I l.. more..

Writing
The stable The stable

A Story by A.L. James


Spelunking Spelunking

A Story by A.L. James


Frasnip Frasnip

A Story by A.L. James