The Late Night Band at a Small Time Joint

The Late Night Band at a Small Time Joint

A Story by Jim_F
"

An assignment of scenery that I enjoyed while I was in college

"
 The bass from the band rumbles and shakes the walls of the downtown bar. Many people are speaking but, all of the speaking sounds like one blurred chaotic and incomprehensible chant. All is dark except for the Yellow and Blue lights over the musicians and the white lights emanating from a few of the fans phones. The lights of the phones are swaying back and forth and jumping up and down to the vibrations of the music like fireflies on a windy night. The smell is of sweat from the non-stop commotion, old alcohol from spilled beverages and a small hint of a mix between cigarettes, pot and incense. 

 After a half hour of continued excitement the band takes a break and the crowded dancers leave to attack the bartender. While the lead band quickly and efficiently readies itself for their time to begin, the volume of the crowd picks up as they continue to speak over one another. The tall circular topped table in front of me is unstable keeping three girls from being able to place their drinks down for too long without having to worry about adding to the continually growing pool of liquid that is in search for the floor. One of the three girls is noticeably intoxicated, she sways to her own beat and is using the unsteady booze drowned table for support. 

 The new band begins and every soul in the bar rushes to the dance floor and starts nodding their heads to the music. The bright lights are dimmed and soon people are moving side to side, back and forth and a few in every which way not being able to choose. The music picks up until it is blasting and the faster the beat goes the more excitable and intense the crowd becomes. Bodies are touching and everyone is in rhythm. The band has created a single unstoppable force beneath their feet and they continue to feed the already inextinguishable fire. The power of the blaring music and the motion of the people continues for an insurmountable amount of time. And out of nowhere the impossible happens. The music stops and the unrelenting flame comes to an abrupt halt and dies. 

 All is now quiet, and everyone is waiting for a reason. A voice bellows from the singer, “Thank You and have a good night!” The mass hastily leaves the floor and most head outside forcing a rush of cold air into the semi run down building. The ones who decided to stay make their way to a no longer crowded line, waiting to be noticed by the bartender. Around me I realized that this once packed spot which was so full of life is nearly dead. There is no noise other than the few people speaking and the background chatter of the television mounted up behind the bar. The life of the night has come to an end and I venture out, taking a step into the dark chilled night.

© 2015 Jim_F


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on March 31, 2015
Last Updated on March 31, 2015
Tags: Scene, Concert, Bar

Author

Jim_F
Jim_F

Bloomington, MN



About
As wise as the man standing tall on the sky rise. A smile. He doesn't fall, he flies. All of a sudden there's a stop, a crash, he dies......What a Twist...... (Hint to the general populous: You do.. more..

Writing