Wooden Tears

Wooden Tears

A Poem by Pratik

   

Don't you just love those long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour - but a little piece of eternity dropped into your hands - and who knows what to do with it?”

― Tennessee Williams (A Streetcar Named Desire)

 

Some prayers are answered

Before the sky turns lemon-grey.

Thus one day, not far beneath,

My frozen steps hailed the Sunday dunes,

Walking down the forest path,

I greeted the thousand lanterns that you had lit,

Their flames quavering on walls of pearly white.

As I gazed down at the face- unblemished by time,

Our travels were reborn - those gyrates in the Scottish glens,

Where the nurtured bluebells and shy violets,

Had wept on my foot sores.

That was a long, long time ago,

What has gone by can never be.

But today there are no complains, all wrongs undone,

Never mind the time-this wicked, woolly afternoon, amidst softness and rains,

Together, let us sow the buds

Of tabooed tales and Wiccan dreams,

Promises and poetry; Books and beyond,

They don’t betray the Inner Sea - cascading waterfalls on cosmic shores,

For this flesh is cast in a wooden frame,

That curbs the waves in taverns of sunset tangerine.

But I know, in the shallows of your nervous laugh,

Sometimes you can hear their aqueous murmurs- like a rustle through the leaves.

Their rhymes too weak to reason with you,

But know this - long after you are gone, gone away once more,

I will keep this happy story alive.

Until the buds raise their humble heads,

I will feed them with these wooden tears.

And in my last days, when I know you won’t be around,

The blossoms of our creations will put me to sleep,

In the rubble of a Viking graveyard.

© 2012 Pratik


Author's Note

Pratik
Often circumstances and liabilities distance us from the ones we love... sometimes no matter how hard we try, we are not able to make our beloved ones realize that they are indispensable in our lives.. Distance often pulls relationships apart... often societal rules come in the way of togetherness... but if you love someone deeply, it suffices for both the souls... you don't need a socially procured and acceptable name to define that emotion; there is no need to enclose things in predefined brackets... Nurture the memories you have spent with that special person, it might be as short a period as a drizzly afternoon... these memories can make you realize that what you feel is REAL and there can never be a greater truth! And sometimes these feelings will find their way to the person of your desire, without you putting in any effort.. that person may not reciprocate equally; but small little things will make him/her realize and appreciate your feelings... you don't need more than that!
I got tied up in things for a time and wasn't around! But now it feels nice to be back among my friends in writerscafe! I wrote this is piece after a very long time! So you can say its a come-back for me! Hope you guys like it :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is poetry Aaran, I loved to come over here, and read your walk in poetic amber.
This is what makes, me dwell in poetry, to read poets like you!
Thank you for this marvelous write. Each detail has a huge dexterity, tact, feeling, imagery, rich reach, study, feeling, I could go on.... I totally loved it!

E.L.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thank you Emily... I still have a long way to go to master that skillful, seamless and effervescent.. read more

11 Years Ago

Wow, I'm just a Netherlandish girl, who loves to write in English :) and learn so much from you guys.. read more



Reviews

Lots of little treasures tucked within this poem. We need to treasure the special moments in life, as you said. There are no universal rules, no road maps, just our heartfelt and gut feelings when a treasured moment appears, be it with our special loved ones or friends. We know we will never let this go and know that we were blessed for that long or short period of time. Lovely poem, thanks for sharing and WELCOME BACK!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks Helena! Glad you liked it :)
You are an exceptional writer, Aaran... weaving in wondrous imagery and emotion into each thread of your poetry... Here you journey us across the vast landscapes and the sunset seas, within and without.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks Craig! Always do appreciate your insightful reviews!
"Together, let us sow the buds
Of tabooed tales and Wiccan dreams,
Promises and poetry; Books and beyond,"
I enjoyed the complete poem. The ending made the poem complete. Life allowed us to do and learn many things. Good to have you back. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks sir! I got stuck in things for a while! Can't say I have loads of free time- but I have resol.. read more
Oh how I have missed your writings Aaran!..I am so glad I read this... it was so difficult to pick my favorite lines, for all of it was just Fantastic.!!Your imagery is Wow!! You have a fabulous style of writing... weaving whimsical with reality, creating a dreamy work of art. Excellent write!

"Before the sky turns lemon-grey.

Thus one day, not far beneath,

My frozen steps hailed the Sunday dunes,

Walking down the forest path,

I greeted the thousand lanterns that you had lit,

Their flames quavering on walls of pearly white.

As I gazed down at the face- unblemished by time,"~ I love, love, love, the vision you have penned so magnificently!


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks a million dear friend!! You always give the best of reviews! Thumbs up to that!!
forever love.........the poet promises to keep the memory of their time together alive.......beautifully done.
Poetry is personal and I find it fascinating to read the different things that your readers took away from your piece......yes?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks Neva!! Glad you liked it :)
I really appreciate this It speaks to me .I lost two friends this week and I feel it so intensely.Thank you fro writing this

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pratik

11 Years Ago

Sorry to hear your loss Tate :( My condolences....
Beautiful poignant lyrical write indeed sometimes its not the quantity of time the quality that carries us through.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Depth and imagery is excellent in this poem that takes you actually there.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thank you John! I'm glad you liked it :)
Nice work, dude.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Pratik

11 Years Ago

Thanks man :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1324 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on September 3, 2012
Last Updated on October 5, 2012

Author

Pratik
Pratik

Raleigh, NC



About
Hello! I am Pratik Mukherjee from Calcutta, India - the city of Mother Teresa and the famous poet Tagore. My pen name is Aaran, a variant of the word 'Aran' and derived from the Aran Islands, a gro.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse


Heart Heart

A Poem by Tate Morgan