Goal To Goal

Goal To Goal

A Story by Abhinav
"

This is a short story, a description really, of a football(soccer) match and all the emotions connected with it.

"
GOAL TO GOAL

May 23rd, 2002
Nottingham,UK

It was a snowy night. The English Blue Square Conference football league play-off was taking place between Burton Albion and Nottingham Forest. All fans were cheering for a home win. The atmosphere inside the stadium was electric. A lot was at stake, because the winner would  be promoted to the English Division 2. The match was heading for half-time. Nottingham Forest had got an early lead through captain Ben Wallace's well directed free-kick, from 30 yards out, which found the back of the net. Burton then equalized 5 minutes later through a superb header by Sonny Fernandez. Forest had chance after chance after that, without being able to score another goal.
The Burton manager Danny Cotsman was shouting at his defenders. They had been assigned a special task, a task to contain Forest's rising new talent, a 18 year old known by the name of Martin Davies. All eyes were on this gifted English teenager, who, in his first season at the club, had caught many opponents and team-mates by surprise. He almost single-handedly guided Nottingham Forest to 4th in the blue square league table by scoring 35 goals during the course of the season. His manager, Owen Fennie, was mightly impressed by the skill and speed of Martin. So, as it was, here they were, as the whistle blew for half-time at Nottingham, 1-1 in the play-off final. Owen Fennie led his team into the changing room.

The mood in the camp was positive. They were not leading but had many chances and the momentum clearly was with them. Martin was frustrated at not being able to score yet. Owen turned to his boys for a team-talk

"So far, so good lads"  said Owen to his boys, who looked a cheerful lot  ''But we musn't get complacent, you know''

''Yeaahh''  shouted the team together.

''Now, Dennis, you will partner Ben upfront. Place the ball into the area after they lose the off-side trap, and that is where Martin, you come into the picture''  finished Owen

''Got it sir''  mumbled Martin

''I said don't call me 'sir'  Martin, just Owen'' said Owen  ''So head out, we have got a game to win''

The men trudged into the battlefield, into the noisy home supporters who were screaming things like 'Ben the hero' and 'Martin!Martin!'. The whistle blew and they kicked off.
The first 15 minutes of the second half was evenly contested. Burton had learned from their defensive mistakes, it seemed,and they were now pounding the ball into Forest's half more often. The managers on the sidelines looked tense. As the hour mark was crossed, the score was still 1-1. Then, a break away move on the counter-attack saw Ben running towards Burton's goal. Martin on his left, Dennis to his right, exactly what the plan was. Ben almost released his shot on goal, but passed it to Dennis at the very last moment, leaving the defender wrong footed. Dennis crossed the ball into the box to an eagerly waiting Martin, who leaped up towards the ball in the air, stuck his head out, connected sweetly to the ball, which was on its way past Brad Jones into the back of the net. GOOOOOAAAAAALLLL!!!!!!!
The stadium erupted. Screaming fans shouted and shrieked. Martin was being congratulated by his team-mates. The giant scoreboard kept on flashing :MARTIN DAVIES 36TH GOAL OF THE SEASON!
Owen Fennie was happy but was not showing it. There were still 30 minutes to hold on.
But he needn't have worried. The last goal demoralised the Burton defenders. Ben scored 5 minutes later, Dennis converted a penalty and Bassong Belikas added another to make the final score 5-1. Owen Fennie was jubilant. He had guided the team to their first appearance in English Division 2 in more than 20 years. The fans were thunderous. The noise inside the stadium was unbelievable. The opposite manager was furious with his players. They had  lost in the play-off finals for 3 years running now. It was all over for them once again.

Inside the changing room, the party had begun. Players hugging each other, girlfriends, wives,and children all were present there. Even the manager was celebrating. Martin was the man of the moment. Every team member went to congratulate him on a brilliant season for the club. But he had eyes only for the one whom he spotted coming thorough the door. It was his 17 year old, high-school girlfriend, Tracy. They looked at each other for a split second before Martin grabbed her and kissed her passionately. Amidst hooting and shouting from his team-mates, they finally broke apart and walked together hand-in hand out of stadium.

© 2010 Abhinav


Author's Note

Abhinav
IMPORTANT:All the names,events described here a fictional, I just made it up, none of it never happened. And if you're wondering, No, I don't support Nottingham Forest!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this story. I remeber playing basketball with a kid like Martin. You brought back good memories within this story, and you did it well. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dev
This was a nice read. You've conveyed the excitement well *agreed* but being more inclined towards cricket I half expected more Drama.. :) but I loved the description of the winning goal and how he goes away with his highschool girlfriend..

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is pretty good - i think you have captured the excitement of the game well
great work :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

672 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 19, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010

Author

Abhinav
Abhinav

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Hey People.....My name is Abhinav and my motto is get out before they go down! I like to melt stuff...haha, not serious I love to write,play and listen to music....known to my friends as the fun.. more..

Writing
The Author The Author

A Chapter by Abhinav


Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by Abhinav


Lured Lured

A Chapter by Abhinav



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prelude Prelude

A Chapter by Domenic Luciani