Backyard Soccer

Backyard Soccer

A Story by Abishai100
"

Two Dartmouth soccer-aficionados travel to Algeria in the summer to offer a 'backyard-soccer' solution to street-disease.

"
A little community-spirit video-game fanfiction inspired by the immersive kids' game Backyard Soccer (Humungous Entertainment), a toast to democratic modern dance. Enjoy (signing off!), 
----

====

The streets of Algeria were troubled by post-revolution depression and modern capitalism worries. Youngsters wondered how to fill the time and address the sociocultural problem of general angst and create valuable street recreational activities to get over the haunting of political tides.



Amlan Satan and Ali Ben, two Algerian-Americans, graduated from Dartmouth (New Hampshire, USA) and traveled to Algeria one summer to set up a men's 'backyard soccer' recreational street-game league, to help the troubled citizens get over their sociocultural worries and angst in modern times. Amlan/Ali both played for the Dartmouth team as midfielder-striker, respectively, and had the necessary acumen to organize thrilling street-clubs in Algeria for backyard soccer play.



SATAN (Amlan): What young men in Algeria need more than anything is something to forget about mass depression!



BEN (Ali): Amlan and I work together as a sports-partnership and can organize this Algerian street-league for good play.



That's just what they did, and the allure of these backyard organized fenced-area field-painted games in the backyard area of a middle-class residential area of Algeria brought out many athletes and even non-Algerians who'd happened to be living in that suburban neighborhood. Soon, the backyard-soccer street-league had formed several club teams like the Force and the Fury, and Amlan/Ali themselves were co-captains of the league team the Blast. The games were swift and fun and drew in video-recording fans and cheerleaders who showed up in festive costumes to cheer on a suddenly inspiring street social activity that generated new life into the depressed community. It was a great success.



SATAN: It seems to me these local cheerleading fans will provide us with the needed community celebrations.



The backyard-soccer street league hosted its first-even tourney at the end of July, with the Force and the Blast standing at the top two positions and expected to face each other in the tourney championship game. The Force slashed through the competition, thanks to the play of a German-Algerian named Dan who had the uncanny ability to loft midfield passes resulting in great and thrilling header-goals. The local fans called him the Blonde Man ("BM").



However, Dan's Force was shocked by the upstart native Algerian team that street-league backyard-soccer summer. The team, comprised of only Algerians, was called the Fire. This dark-uniform wearing team functioned like a line-moving machine, using left-right passes to create an indomitable brand of efficient offense. They defeated Dan's Force 5-3 in the semifinals that first tourney-season in troubled Algeria.



However, in the championship-game, the Algerian Fire would face Amlan and Ali's excellent team the Blast. The Blast had nicely gone through the summer tourney ladder and though expecting to face Dan's Force team, were anticipating a fun game against the Fire. In that championship game, the Fire scored first and twice in the first half, generating a 2-0 lead and having the fans/cheerleaders think there was a major upset in the process, with the tourney/league organizers (Amlan/Ali) possibly being completely upstaged! However, in the second-half of that championship game, Ali streaked a solitary run to the goal line and shot a diagonal soarer to the top-right corner. This was followed by tight defense by the Blast which managed to control the Fire's offensive heat-play. Then, Amlan pulled off two midfielding genius plays by generating excellent long-shot diagonal passes to teammate-striker Ali who managed to score twice with two low-level high-powered shots into the back of the goal, leaving the goaltender speechless. The trophy was presented to Amlan/Ali, and the Algerian street festivity and fanfare generated that summer inspired the marketing of a new fun youth soccer video-game called Backyard Soccer!



AMLAN: We're thrilled the backyard-league has created in-home video-game excitement among kids!
ALI: We believe this Dartmouth-venture has yielded great spirit for the streets of Algeria this summer.
AMLAN: There's no reason community activity can't be linked to creative forms of marketing...and toys!



ALGIERS HERALD: What's certain is that this Dartmouth-venture's created modern Algerian street-dimension.

====
"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

© 2021 Abishai100


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on June 17, 2021
Last Updated on June 17, 2021
Tags: Video-Game Fanfiction

Author

Abishai100
Abishai100

NJ



About
Student/Minister; Hobbies: Comic Books, Culinary Arts, Music; Religion: Catholic; Education: Dartmouth College more..

Writing