Prolouge

Prolouge

A Chapter by Zephyair
"

Prolouge...To the events that reshape the world. EDITED~!!

"

The sun’s shine was gone, covered by black clouds.

The birds stopped singing and the insects quieted, while dogs barked and growled at an unseen foe.

Street lights flashed, others blinked. People stopped their cars to stare at the darkening day sky.

Interference filled radio waves and internet connections, disrupting communications.

When the black clouds finally dispersed, they revealed a most unexpected sight.

A black sun and red sky, looking down on the people of Earth.

An eclipse? The apocalypse?

Despite the otherworldly appearance of the sky, nothing else seemed wrong, but it was only just starting.

This was the beginning of a new era.

A calling was sent out, too all those of a most strange descent, waking the sealed potential and powers within each of the Descendants.

Running through their veins ran a legacy long lost and once hunted.

A coma took them as the calling took effect.

Several hours passed and the world seemed to hold its breath for those who had fallen victim to the strange coma.

Screams filled every hospital as they awaken.

The Descendants change, both me mentally and physically.

The monitors beeped and flashed and it appeared that none would make it through to see another day.

Everything was wrong. No one knew what was happening.

The screams die down, quieting as the pain subsides.

The doctors and genetic researches stepped in to find the answers, as is their duty. More questions than answers are found. They could find no answers to why? Or how? Much less what?

They had only one advantage over everyone else. They knew that they were not what they were before the coma. They could no longer be classified as human or living.

On their outward appearance, they seemed to look like everything they ever wanted. No longer looking like the person they were. But at the same time, their hearts had stopped, but somehow they managed basic functions of life and still required the basic necessities.

 A week passes with no answers still.

They slowly become impatient and anxious, irritable even. The food they’re given could no longer satisfy the aching hunger they felt.

The longer that hunger was ignored, the more the predator in their minds began to stir.

Screams again, filled the halls or home where ever they might have had the unfortunate timing to be. Victims of a hunter unable to control their minds or bodies that acted upon instinct for survival.

A survival dependant on blood.

Rumours spread like wildfire. Several ideas came to mind, but only one seemed to stick. Vampire.

In a small city, the odds of falling victim to the ‘vampirism’ as it was later dubbed, was very low. Less than one person in every thousand, perhaps hundred thousand would become one.

Five called Shore City their home.

But they weren’t the only ones to change.

Scenes from horror movies seemed to play out as corpses rose from caskets in the funeral parlour or autopsy table. The true living dead.

Zombies.

Rotting skin, smelling of a fresh grave, they began their search for fresher flesh to consume.

Infectious, plague-like to anyone who managed to escape the hordes and mobs of the beasts.

It spreads like wildfire.

It seemed though, that Hollywood had prepared the people for this.

Walls were set up around major cities and those who did not wish to relocate into the cities or large towns, created their own walls and defended their homes on their own terms.

But zombies weren’t the only thing.

Ghouls.

Animal hybrids.

 They changed like the Descendants, but due to more explainable reasons. Caught unaware by zombies, they had fallen prey to the infection as well mutating into monsters that relied even more heavily on instinct that their living counter parts.



© 2011 Zephyair


Author's Note

Zephyair
....Its been three years since I started this book...Two since I put the first few chapters up..Its about time I update everything to its newest, refined and almost final version. Pfft. Its about time I got around to changing it from Prelude to Prolouge....Jeez, its not a song.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I look forward to more. I enjoyed the new ideas. I would suggest that you pay closer attention to word choice. For example, "comatose" is an adjective, not a noun and "eminent" is a person who stands above others (they call the pope "your Eminence"). "Imminent" is the word you want (ready to take place, hanging, threateningly, over one's head).

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well it has my attention,good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow this is good exactly what im looking for.
keep up the good work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I look forward to more. I enjoyed the new ideas. I would suggest that you pay closer attention to word choice. For example, "comatose" is an adjective, not a noun and "eminent" is a person who stands above others (they call the pope "your Eminence"). "Imminent" is the word you want (ready to take place, hanging, threateningly, over one's head).

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow...I must say it's better, though I did catch a few spelling mistakes. I feel inclined to ask whether or not your spell check is broken as well, lol.
Great job though

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

500 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 16, 2008
Last Updated on September 3, 2011
Previous Versions


Author

Zephyair
Zephyair

Temiskaming Shores, Canada



About
Descendants has taken another turn for the better. Though I put it on hiatus for a while...a long while, its back. And with a new webcomic to compliment it...I think. more..

Writing
Informant Informant

A Chapter by Zephyair


Bind Bind

A Book by Zephyair


Alternate Worlds Alternate Worlds

A Chapter by Zephyair