Informant

Informant

A Chapter by Zephyair
"

"I'll be watching you."

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Informant.



     He turned the corner, looking over his shoulder as he went. He’d been found out and was now being followed; by the very person whom he had been watching much earlier that evening, or he thought. There was no way to be sure who it was. He cursed, having toppled over a trash can in the alley way and nearly tripped. The resounding crash echoed somewhat in between the apartment blocks and cursed once more, so much for a stealthy get away.

      He turned to see if that dark figure was still behind him. It was gone, just gone. He stopped and looked around, surprised. He was sure there was someone, something, standing over there, just beyond the light of the street lamp. He his heart race and breathing quicken as fear crept across him. He shouldn’t have let it out of his sight. He started backwards, then turned once more and broke into a run, deeper into the dark alley.

    And there it was again. That dark silhouette, he skidded to a stop. This was the closest he’d be been to it. And the longer his eyes lingered on it, the more he noticed the distinct curves that could only belong to a woman. She was walking toward him and before he knew it, he was a retracing his steps backward against the wall. His back pressed against the cold stone wall, there was no where to run. Screaming for help was not an option, the cops where on trail for a much different reason and knew better than to attract that sort of attention. And he had a policy not to hit woman and this one looked like she’d hit back, just as hard, if not harder.

       Her eyes were glowing a bright green in the dimly lit back alley and very predatory. He shivered. He was being reminded of the shows on television, where the lion or other large cat stalked their prey. He knew what the prey felt like now. She stopped, just a few feet away.

       “Well?” she spoke. Her voice was commanding, seductive even. He gulped and didn’t reply. “Well?” she repeated. “I’d like to know why you were following my poor friend earlier.”

       She meant his target of course, the one his boss had sent him to watch and gather intel on. “I-I don’t know what you mean,” he replied, playing dumb was possibly his only option here.

       She tilted her head to the side and peered at him with those glowing green eyes, inching closer. “Really now? Then you should really explain the multitude of pictures she’s taken of you with the phone. You’ve been stalking her for quite a while now…”

        Normally he was the one asking the questions, interrogating with either intimidation or violence, which ever worked. It was odd to be in the other position.  He felt his pulse quicken again and a cold sweat break out onto his forehead and neck. “Maybe she’s been following me,” he suggested, quite brazen.

      Her laughter echoed in the cramped space. “Liar.” She whispered once she’d calmed herself. “You’re such a poor liar. But alas, I don’t have time for you right now. I have better things to do.”

     She turned as walked away, but stopped at the street. “Be sure, I’ll be watching you from now on though.”

 

        -------

 

        After racing back to his apartment, Driscoll closed every window shade and window and locked them as well as the door. He was leaving nothing to chance and yet chills ran up his spine whenever he played her words over in his head. He felt like she could get him anyways. He rubbed his arms, trying to warm them from the cool night air with no avail and sat on the abused couch. His pulled his laptop from the hidden compartment in the coffee tablet and turned it on.

      Vlad would need to know about what happened, though he certainly wouldn’t be happy to hear Driscoll’s position had been compromised. He was vital to finding out the mastermind behind the newest ‘covens’. Just when they thought they’d closed them all, some random vampire decides to be a rebel and open another. He laughed, they beg for forgiveness pretty quickly when faced with the option of death. He wasn’t the kind to kill though. He was merely an informant and he was happy with that.

      But, this coven was starting to ruin that happy life. Again. This one would mark the fourth in the past 2 weeks to be closed, but he was starting to think that it was really just the same one, in a different location, or it could all just be a front, a distraction from a much deeper plot. He’d tell Vlad his suspicions, both boss and friend, Vladimir would take his information and suspicions into consideration when figuring out their next move.

      I’ll be watching you.

       He shivered and looked around. He was still shaken from that. There was no doubt that woman was in the coven as much as the one he’d been tailing. This vampire though, wasn’t as reserved as her counterpart. He knew it was a vampire, those unmistakeable glowing eyes. He’d seen them before, only ever in the shadows though. He’d never seen the face they belonged to. She was smart enough to keep in the dark in the alley and still didn’t get a good look at her even inches from his face. He growled inwardly, as he typed the email for Vlad and was sure to ask if there was any green eyed female vampires in the area. Of course, that was a really vague description, but he was sure he could spot those eyes again.

         He rubbed his face and dragged his hand through his dyed black and red hair. Frustration was building as his thought seemed to focus in on her. Without a name or a face, she was like an apparition. He wasn’t even sure if it was all his imagination or not anymore either.

        Click. Email sent. He stood and walked over to the fridge and sighed. Things he had to do tomorrow before sunset; grocery shopping and stock up on silver bullets. Silver burned vampires just as much as they did werewolves, though vampires recovered faster. Merely holding out a crucifix or bible wasn’t enough, reciting certain passages was the key to it. But, once again, he wasn’t a fighter, just an informant for many people. As long as he kept low and his eyes on the target, he’d get through life with flying colours.

    He wouldn’t mind upgrade from the drab apartment though. The wallpaper was peeling, the ceiling above the bath leaked where the above apartment’s bath was and the walls were probably only as thick as his hand. He knew this from experience, neighbours complained when he had noisy ‘company’ when he first started staying there.

   Beep. Beep.

   He returned to the laptop. Vlad had replied. It was unusual for him to reply so quickly. ‘Keep Following Iris, but watch your back for that other vampire.” Attached to the email were pictures of every green eyed vampire in the city. He scanned them, looking for those bright, hungry eyes again. Farther and farther down the list. There. At the bottom of course: Vidalia  Schwartz.

        He snickered. He was sure that was a type of onion.

       Alias: Absinthe

       Now he was confused, what the hell was Absinthe? He Googled it. He raised an eyebrow reading the description. She named herself after an alcoholic beverage that could give you hallucinations? He flashed back to those eyes and then to the face staring at him on the screen.

       I’ll be watching you.”

       He swore he saw her smirking at him, when he realized, she really was smirking in the picture, almost like she was taunting him. He slammed the screen shut, shaking slightly. He was just sleep deprived, he told himself. A little sleep and everything would be fine.



© 2011 Zephyair


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Zephyair
ffffff- I work at a grocery store, can you tell?
Vidalia is too epic a name for just onions...Driscoll is the brand name of raspberries we sell. XD



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5 Views
Added on August 22, 2011
Last Updated on August 22, 2011
Tags: watching vampire introduction ho


Author

Zephyair
Zephyair

Temiskaming Shores, Canada



About
Descendants has taken another turn for the better. Though I put it on hiatus for a while...a long while, its back. And with a new webcomic to compliment it...I think. more..

Writing
Bind Bind

A Book by Zephyair


Alternate Worlds Alternate Worlds

A Chapter by Zephyair


Not So Different Not So Different

A Chapter by Zephyair