Roses and Ruins Scene 1

Roses and Ruins Scene 1

A Stage Play by Ace
"

It's meant to be a romance with a twist. This is the first stage play I've ever written and isn't the best. Please help me.

"
MARY
A young girl of around 23. Slightly shorter than HAROLD. Fiend of HAROLD.

HAROLD
A young man of around 24. Around average height. 

ARNOLD
Same age as HAROLD. Average height. Close fried of HAROLD's.

EMILY
A girl half a year younger than HAROLD and half an inch shorter. HAROLD's girlfriend.
RENALDO
A tall attractive man. Around 25. HAROLD's rival.

ANGELA
A quiet girl who is a couple inches shorter than HAROLD. Old friend of ARNOLD's.

MUGGER
A shaggy looking homeless man. Average height. Around 33.
























ACT 1
SCENE 1
(Scene opens into a small room in ARNOLD's home with a small sofa, coffee table, and chair C and a desk SL against a wall. There is also a bar SR and a door and window in the U wall. HAROLD is sitting on the sofa while ARNOLD is sitting at the desk)
HAROLD
Arnold, I can't see her again.
ARNOLD
Why not? You guys are such great friends.
HAROLD
That's the problem. She's too amazing. She's begun stealing my heart. I just can't let her. That's why I can't see her again.
ARNOLD
Types what HAROLD just said into typewriter
Well that'll be a problem. I invited her here to drink with us.
Crosses R to bar and picks up a bottle
Do you think she'll like this new scotch?
HAROLD
Well I guess we'll find out when she gets here. Why didn't you tell me you invited her?
ARNOLD
I didn't think it'd matter. Not like I knew you felt like that about her. That reminds me, if you are starting to develop feelings for Mary what does that mean for Emily?
HAROLD
That's just it. Emily and I have been growing apart lately but I can't just break up with her for Mary. It'd kill her and I just can't do that to her. She's always been there for me and I still have feelings for her, but they're duller than before.
ARNOLD
Well I don't think you should lead her along. It isn't a good thing to do. It'll bite you in the rear later on.
Continues to fiddle around with the drinks.
HAROLD
I don't know what to do man. It is all so confusing. Hey, get me a shot of whiskey would 'ya?
ARNOLD
Pours whiskey
Need a pick me up don't you?
HAROLD
Stands and walks R then U taking the glass from ARNOLD
At the moment. Yes.
Downs the drink and puts glass down
ARNOLD
Well don't drink too much. You can't hold your liquor. She should be here soon. So go make yourself look nice.
HAROLD
Good idea. Remind me which one of these doors goes to the bathroom.
ARNOLD
It's the door on the right. Bathroom is the first door on the right.
HAROLD exits SR
Poor guy. His romantic suffering may be just what I need for my book.
Walks SL to desk. Starts typing on typewriter.
HAROLD
Enters SR
What are you writing now?
ARNOLD
I just had a sudden inspiration for my new book and I had to put it down on paper.
HAROLD
Sits on sofa
I can never understand how you can write that silly --
Doorbell rings
ARNOLD
Hold that thought.
Crosses UR and opens door.
Ah Mary, I was just wondering when you would show up.
MARY
Sorry I'm a little late. I stopped to pick these up.
Holds out a box of doughnuts.
ARNOLD
Takes box and moves aside.
Good. I was getting a bit hungry. How about you Harold?
HAROLD
Pops out of thought
Pardon?
MARY
Giggles and smiles.
Would you like any doughnuts?
HAROLD
Yes I would actually.
ARNOLD
Well why are we all just standing around. Come in Mary. Have a seat and relax. You two chat while I get some drinks.
Crosses SR to the bar and begins pouring drinks
MARY
Walks D to the chair and sits
Hey Harold. What have you been up to?
HAROLD
Not very much. Just the usual routine. Not anything really interesting. What about you?
MARY
Well I met this really nice guy. He helped me find a book at the store the other day. I've talked to him another couple of times and he's nice.
HAROLD
Mood changes to saddened and jealous.
Sounds like he'd make you a great boyfriend wouldn't he?
MARY
Notices the shift in mood but remains oblivious
He's gay.
HAROLD
Immediately ashamed
Oh...I uhh didn't know. My apologies. 
MARY
Feeling sympathetically
It's okay, you didn't --
ARNOLD
Walks D toward the empty R half of the sofa. Sets drinks down on the table
Here we go. Now then, what were you two talking about while I was over there completely oblivious to your conversation.
MARY
Picks up a glass
Oh nothing at all. Just talking about what we've been up to.
HAROLD
Picks up a glass and downs the contents in one gulp
Both ARNOLD and MARY look and him a little surprised by his action.
ARNOLD
You may want to slow down there bud.
HAROLD
Yes, yes. You're right. Oh dear look at the time. I have to run guys. See you later.
Stands and crosses U and exits out of door.
MARY
Sighs
I wish he would've stayed a bit longer.
ARNOLD
And why is that?
MARY
Oh I don't know. I just like being around him that's all.
ARNOLD
Realizing what she means. Grins.
Have a little crush now don't we Ms.Mary?
MARY
Flustered
I do not! I would never have feelings for Harold.
ARNOLD
Seeing through her lie
You're a terrible liar. Just come out with it. Not like little old Arnold is going to tell anyone.
MARY
Well, I do have some feelings for him. I think I'm in love with him! Oh Arnold what am I to do. He has a girlfriend already and she's so much more pretty than me and less socially awkward.
ARNOLD
Well that's a matter of opinion. Now then, why do you say you've fallen in love with Harold?
Walks to the desk and starts typing at the typewriter.
MARY
Well it's just that I always feel my heart beat faster and I can't seem to get over this feeling. I can't describe it but it kills me all the time.
ARNOLD
Well that is a terrible feeling isn't it? How long has this been going on?
MARY
Oh I don't know. Maybe a few weeks now. I didn't want to tell anyone because he's an amazing friend and I don't want to ruin our friendship. And he also has a girlfriend remember.
ARNOLD
Yes. Well this is truly a terrible situation. Maybe you ought to go home and sleep on it. Let me absorb this information. 
MARY
Okay Arnold. I'll see you tomorrow okay?
ARNOLD
Okay my dear. Now go home and sleep.
MARY
Stands and exits through U door.
Bye now.
ARNOLD
Shutting door.
Good bye.
Walks over to bar and pours a drink.
Well this is going to be fun!

END OF SCENE

© 2014 Ace


Author's Note

Ace
I tried my best to seperate the actions from the dialogue since the format from my software didn't transfer. Sorry. Give me tips on the dialogue and actions. Like I said, this is my first attempt at a script so please help me out with everything

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on December 24, 2014
Last Updated on December 24, 2014
Tags: romance, screenplay, one scene, incomplete

Author

Ace
Ace

Brighton, CO



About
I am in high school and I try to write but most of my writings are less than desirable and I want some honest feedback. more..

Writing