What lies beneath

What lies beneath

A Story by Mark
"

Short Story of a murky past.

"

She stood on by the lake deeply gazing outward as if back in time.   The gray clouds crept in the wind as the waves lapped against the shore. The breeze made the trees and high grass dance. Nothing but the rustling of the leaves could be heard. Pulling her shawl tighter into her body she sighed.

It’s been 10 years. They came and went and now she is back to where it all happened. She wished she could go back in time and change that fateful day. She was eleven then. It was a day just like this but she was not alone. Her twin sister was there that gray dark day.

In her mind she could see the events unfold. She was jealous that her parents treated her sister like royalty and everything always worked out for her.  She didn’t mean for anything bad to happen but it did. Deep down she knew she hated her but that was then. Now she regretted pushing her down in the waves. Pushing her face in the mud.

“I am so sorry.” She whispered as she started to cry. She must have said it a million times. However back then she was happy she did it. Pushing her sister’s unmoving body out into the lake. She was glad then. She remembered she had to wipe the smirk off her face when her parents panicked and questioned her what had happened.  

She lied. She said her sister was playing at the edge of the lake and slipped in by a fallen log. Everyone looked and searched for her but in the end, her body was never found.

She stepped forward into the water to feel the water one last time. The cold murky water washed over her ankles. She thought of life these past 10 years and somewhere deep down she was still glad she did what she did.

She shuttered as she gave one last glimpse and turned away from the lake.

She was almost out of the lake when she heard a giant splash and a scream.

She turn abruptly to see someone floundering out in the middle of the lake. She took two steps back into the lake, the water now close to her knees.

She peered to see what was splashing. As see squinted she heard her name.

“Julie! Help!” the person screamed!

She went white. She knew that voice. It belonged to her sister. She gasped in horror.

“No, no, no she is dead!” she thought, her eyes watching the violent splashing out in the middle of the lake.

“Julie! Please save me!” The voice strained once more.

She froze. She couldn’t move. “You are dead!” She muttered over and over. The splashing stopped. The lake went still.

“I am losing my mind.” She said trying to catch her breath. She scanned the lake looking for life but nothing moved.

“I have to get out of here.” She thought.

As she turned, she screamed. In front of her was her sister. Missing eyes, algae tangled in her hair and twisted around her neck. Her sisters mouth opened, black liquid came out.

“It is your turn to sink Julie.” Her sister croaked.

Instantly she was pulled under the water as her sister stood above her.

She clawed and panicked sucking water in. Deeper and deeper she sunk into darkness.

Soon stillness returned to the lake. The gray clouds still crept in the wind as the waves lapped against the shore. Nothing moved but the rustling of the leaves in the trees.

© 2017 Mark


Author's Note

Mark
Quickly wrote this after having a simple thought of a lady standing by a lake.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The heart of your story is so real and worthy; has early hints of mystery which beckon the reader to read on. You've laid clues, given some fine descriptions. However, sad to say, its speedy writing throws up changes of tense/time, repeated use of words as follows,

'.. turned away from the LAKE. She was almost out of the LAKE when she heard a giant splash and a scream. She turn abruptly to see someone floundering out in the middle of the LAKE. She took two steps back into the LAKE, the water now close to her knees. '

Please edit carefully. Wouldn't say that if this post was insignificant but it isn't - anything but.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 24, 2017
Last Updated on August 24, 2017
Tags: Horror, Short Story, Scary, Death

Author

Mark
Mark

PA



About
Just me. Trying to get back into writing. Please, and I mean please comment and let me know what you thing. more..

Writing
Fallen Moon Fallen Moon

A Story by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..