Fallen Moon

Fallen Moon

A Story by Mark

He kissed his girl goodbye and patted his son's head as he headed for work. It was 6:45, he had long drive ahead.


Getting in his car he put his backpack on the passenger side. Buckled and looked in his rearview. His family waving in the reflection as he left.


 He turned the radio on and started jamming out. He merged on the high way and headed west. The moon on the horizon glowed even as the sun came up. He could make out the few cities that inhabited the lunar surface.


"Oh to live there and have no worries would be the life." He always talked about taking a trip up to see the sights.

 As he stared he thought he saw something. A line on the moon appeared. He rubbed his eyes thinking it was an eyelash.


The line grew like a web... and the moon started splitting in two. Then three. Then four. Then even more.


The cars in front of him slammed their breaks. Others tried to veer away from the standstill and smashed into each other. He quickly dodged car after car a quickly took the exit. He had to get back. Back to his family. Sirens started blaring. Warning of the impending doom. He quickly hit the intercom on the car.

 

The phone rang.


She answered.


"Don't let our son go to the bus. Hold him there." He cried out. 


"Why? She asked. "What was happening?"


He floored his car. Looking in the rearview he could see the chunks start getting closer.


"Turn on the news. What are they saying?" He asked.


The was a short pause.


"Something happened with the drill!? Terrorist!" She exclaimed.


"I need you to get to the basement," He knew it would wouldn't save them.  "I'm only two minutes away." He said as he pushed harder on the pedal.


He rushed to his home and pulled into the driveway. Getting out of the car he ran to the doorstep. She was waiting for him as she held their crying son. She looked at him but he had no answers. He held her hand. The chunks started to hit all around them as they held each other close....


He violently awoke drenched in sweat. He was still in bed however his morning alarm was going off. He looked around the room. His girl was walking out of the bathroom from her shower. There were muffled voices coming from the television screen.


 "You would not believe the dream I had." He said.


 She took the towel off to her and started drying her hair.


 "Oh, really." She said.


 "It was about...." He paused.


 "What?" She asked.


 His body had chills.


"The lunar drill will be going live any minute..." the voice on the television said.

© 2018 Mark


Author's Note

Mark
Note: I think I might make the
"The lunar drill will be going live any minute..." the voice on the television said.

Inform the man that the Lunar Drill will be sent up via rocket to the moon to start mining for a rare mineral. It should be ready within 3 months.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on January 3, 2018
Last Updated on January 3, 2018
Tags: Moon, Family, Life, Death

Author

Mark
Mark

PA



About
Just me. Trying to get back into writing. Please, and I mean please comment and let me know what you thing. more..

Writing
What lies beneath What lies beneath

A Story by Mark