The Oceans of Space

The Oceans of Space

A Story by AirieLeva

Before the end of time there was nothing, and there was everything. There was laughter and love. As the world went forward the planets did to. Being slowly pushed together by gravity and the force of nature. Everyday scientists fear more and more that the planets will one day destroy us all.

“They’re getting too close,” Emilar Danma says, staring at the screen in front of her. “If they continue on this path they will destroy everything.”

“Then there’s that,” Dr. Elliot says, pointing at the meteor that was bearing down on the group of planets.

Emilar nods sadly, she sighs and turns back to the group of people that had accumulated behind her. They all were nervous, shuffling their feet and whispering to each others. Emilar sighs again, glancing down at the ground. But there was no way to stop the oncoming attack. It just was something that was going to happen.

“Due to unfortunate circumstances that are happening in space today it seems that our project will be delayed. However, this means nothing at all considering of course, there are ways around this and, um,” she started, glancing at Dr. Elliot for help.

“Look guys, we’re not going to lie to you,” Dr. Elliot says, taking off his glasses. “There have been some changes, and unfortunately they are not good ones either.”

“What does that mean?” someone from the crowd calls out. “What are you saying?”

Emilar steps forward, “We’re saying that we have done something terrible. Very, very terrible.”

She looks at all of them, one by one. Emilar glances between them and the monitor on the wall. Finally she shakes her head and takes a deep breath.

“I’m sorry to inform you all that there is less than two weeks left of life. When we sent out that ship it collided with an air pocket in the atmosphere, and because of that the planets have slowly been creeping together,” she says.

“What does that mean?” A women in the back calls. “Are you saying that we ruined the planets course of circulation? Considering the facts, can we even do that?”

Dr. Elliot clears his throat, “We mean that in less than two weeks the planets will collide, obliterating everything and everyone in its path. So now we ask you to choose. Go home, and be with your families. Spend the possibly last moments of life with them, if that’s what you feel you must do.”

No one moves, yet some people share looks, one younger man even shuffles closer to the door.

“What’s the other option?” He asks, stopping. “You said there was two, and if there’s a darkness crawling towards us like a bad omen what better option would there be than to go home to our families?”

“You can stay,” Emilar says.

The man shakes his head and turns towards the door, walking about four steps forward. Moving so fast that it was almost as if the wind was pushing him forward, guiding his path.

“You can stay,” Emilar repeats. “And try to help us find a way to fix our mistake. And save the world, and every other planet out there.”

“The choice is yours,” Dr. Elliot mutters, bowing his head.

All around the room a loud outrage of whispers broke out. Some considering the proposition, others completely against it. Emilar glances once more at the picture behind her, almost like a looming time clock. One that was counting down the seconds until destruction. Then she turns to those left in the crowd, praying that they would choose to save everyone while there was still time for them all to be saved.


© 2019 AirieLeva


Author's Note

AirieLeva
(Based off of a picture)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love your overall storyline & the way you jump right into the action, so your opening is compelling. It's unusual to convey a group conversation without introducing your characters, but you manage to structure the dialogue so clearly, it's easy to follow & a few personalities emerge, enuf to sustain this short little ditty. I love the way you end things with a choice hanging in the air. The way you've presented this choice, it could represent different things for different readers. You have a few sentences where the subject & verb do not match. Other than that, strong writing (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


Good content interesting to say

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2019
Last Updated on May 15, 2019

Author

AirieLeva
AirieLeva

Los Angeles, CA



About
I believe that through books the world and everyone in it can still find hope, even at the darkest of times. The real heroes are the ones that you find within yourself when you and others are in need... more..

Writing
The Moment The Moment

A Poem by AirieLeva