Can You Spot Me?

Can You Spot Me?

A Story by Akeshi Shimikai
"

This was an old group assignment that I dug up, and I thought I might as well post something on here, so here it is. Plot: Two cheetah siblings are abandoned by their parents and grow to hate them.

"

Childhood

 

“Aaron, you can’t beat me!”

 

Bianca raced through the field of golden grass, pushing off on her hind legs and running towards their laughing mother. The wind on her face, the laughing stars, and her brother’s gaining steps encouraged her to try to go faster.

 

“Come on you guys! It’s time for bed! You can’t stay out there forever!” There was a new competitor in their race, from the back came the looming shadow of a full grown cheetah.

 

“Dad, that’s not fair! You can’t do that!” whined Aaron.

 

“If I win the race, you guys have to go to bed.” With those last fleeting words, the full grown cheetah took off at full speed towards their beautiful mother.

 

“That’s not fair Dad,” Bianca and Aaron grumbled when they finally reached their mother.

 

“It’s time for sleep. Little cheetahs don’t grow any bigger without sleep.” Looking away, Aaron and Bianca pouted at their shortness. Reluctantly, they curled up around their mother as her soothing words lulled them into a deep slumber.

 

All alone children


The next day, the children woke up and their parents were nowhere in sight. Bianca looked all around the savanna, but only dead grass and trees were in sight.

 

“Where are Mommy and Daddy?” asked Aaron worriedly, his eyes wide and teary.

 

She looked at her brother, hesitant to answer. They knew that their parents had left a few days earlier, but both kits were promised that they would be back by morning. Bianca knew that she had to tell him the truth: their parents were gone.

 

“And they’re not coming back,” she added, matter-of-factly. “They left us on our own, Aaron.”

 

Bianca then started to walk off, gesturing him to follow. And though as sorrowed as he was by the news, he quickly caught up to her.

 

Scene Change


A murderous feeling had begun to spread inside Bianca. Her nonchalant exterior was fading as she grew more and more irritated. Over the days, Aaron had grown weaker, and after a close encounter with some humans, Aaron now nursed a hurt paw. For hours on end, they wandered across the hot savannah filled with dried up plants and very little food to sustain them. The first time they went hunting timid Aaron had refused to kill anything and had cried after Bianca had sunk her teeth into a small rodent. Darkness fell, and they lay under a Marula Tree, basking in the warmth of the ground until Bianca jumped up in agitation.

 

“We hate them,” Bianca growled furiously. Pacing back and forth on the dry grass, she almost hissed with resentment. Without their parents, how was she supposed to support Aaron? They were both hungry with no home. They were left with nothing, unprepared, and it was all their fault. How could they have left them with no help? Snarling, Bianca slowly laid down on all fours and tried to contain her bubbling anger.

 

Aaron, who had been watching her hesitantly, got up and slowly walked over, plopping himself down by her side. “...I don’t hate them,” he said quietly. Bianca gave him a fierce glare, and he winced, timid and frightened.

 

“Aaron… They LEFT us. They told us they would be back, and then, they just LEFT!” she hissed at him. “If I wasn’t here, you would have died. I can barely provide for us. You can barely walk. If they were here, none of this would have happened. I HATE them and you should too…” Aaron was quiet for a moment as he absorbed Bianca’s words, and after a bit, Bianca felt him snuggle into her side whimpering softly.

 

“Sis… Don’t leave me.”

Bianca shook her head and held Aaron closer. “I never will.”

Future

 

A rustling could be seen throughout the tall grass as two voices called out to one another, and wind rushed throughout the small community. Aaron raced through the field with Bianca close on his tail. He was no longer a scrawny, unconfident cub but a handsome, slightly smaller version of their father, which was never quite mentioned. Bianca was beautiful like their mother but just as strong as her baby brother, if not tougher, she liked to boast.

 

Some things never changed.  Killing still never settled right with Aaron, so Bianca lead most of the hunting trips. Also, no one dared mention anything about parents to them. Bianca had nearly scratched a neighboring friend when pried on the subject, and Aaron had refused to speak for a month. However, every night Aaron dreamed of his parents coming back and them being a family again, while Bianca deep down wished to know what had happened that night. 

 

One day, while lying in the shade of an acacia tree, Bianca and Aaron heard the sound of heavy step closing in. They looked up abruptly and saw an old hyena walking towards them. After a second, they recognized who it was: Julia, an old friend of their parents. “There is something you must know, my dear children,” she said to them, “the truth about your parent that has been buried for years.”

 

The hyena sadly looked onward toward the fading light, “I have lived in fear all my life because of what I have witnessed, but my days are coming short and I feel it is time you should know.”

 

Aaron and Bianca’s ears perked up, but they showed their backs to the family friend, one more reluctantly than the other. “We already know what happened Julia, they left us.. They didn’t want us anymore.”

 

“Your parents didn’t leave you they died trying to protect you! Please, listen to what I have to say. I have known your parents for ages and they loved both of you very much.” Julia pleaded at the two cheetahs’ fading shadows

 

“What?” whispered Aaron as his eyes lit up with hope, “I knew it. They didn’t leave us. They loved us.”

 

“Aaron,” Bianca said in a warning tone. Angrily, she turned to the intruding hyena. “We have no reason to believe you,” she spat, “I have lived all my life hating my parents. Nothing you say will change my mind.” Turning to leave, Bianca nudged Aaron. “Let’s go.” However, he didn’t budge.

 

“Please just listen,” Julia pleaded, “And you will understand why....”

 

“Aaron come on lets-.”

 

“I’m staying Bianca.” Aaron stared into his sister’s eyes defiantly. He looked to Julia and nodded encouragingly. “Go on.”

 

Clearing her throat, Julia began.

“It was a beautiful night, the wind blew gently through my fur, the stars laughed with joy, and the moon lit up the whole savanna. I decided to go on a walk, for the night was too beautiful to neglect. I saw your parents, they seemed to be in a disagreement with somebody… Though I tried not to listen to their conversation, my curiosity got the best of me. As I got closer, I saw the biggest lion I have ever seen. His eyes held fierce authority, while his body was tense. I feared for your parents as they faced this beast. He attacked them, and they desperately fought back. Your parents were trying to stop him for your safety. They were protecting you both. They snarled at each other, clawing and biting, each trying to be the last one standing. I couldn’t do anything, for fear overtook my body. In the end, your parents were killed and taken away by the lion. Before I could run and help, the lion saw me, and I, like the coward I was, ran with my tail between my legs. I never saw them again.”  

 

At the end of the story, Bianca remained silent, unsure whether to believe Julia’s story or not. Aaron, though, shook with anger, “Where did he go?” Julia looked in surprise, and Bianca sighed.

 

“Listen, you can’t beat this. He was-.”

 

“WHERE?!” Aaron roared.

 

Julia stood silently for a moment, before whispering “toward the rising sun.” Nodding with appreciation, Aaron raced off leaving his sister behind for the first time in his life.

 

“You’re going after him?” Julia questioned, staring at Bianca’s shadowed face.

 

“He’s my brother,” she said. “Of course.” She turned to leave the old hyena, but before she did, she took a step towards her, growling menacingly. “If you are lying and you have sent Aaron on some suicide mission after bringing his hopes up, you’ll regret it. You’ll regret it for the rest of your life.” Bianca lifted her sharpened claws, enforcing the threat. Then, she stepped back, giving Julia one last warning glare, and raced off into the brush to find Aaron.

 

After they had left, there was a silence that seemed to last forever, and the hyena for the first time, since seeing the tragic death of her only friends, cried, doubling over into a position with her tail between her legs and her head bent.

 

Aaron rushed through the barren plains. His sister could stay for all he cared. I still love my parents, he thought. After hearing the rustling grass behind him, Aaron knew his sister gaining on him. Darn it… she was always faster. Stretching his legs out further ahead of him, he pushed himself off his hind legs and increased his pace.

 

“Aaron, wait!”  He heard her pleading voice behind him. Bianca tackled him, and they crashed into the ground, rolling around on top of each other like when they were kids. This time Aaron pinned her.

 

“I’m going to find them,” he said. “You are not going stop me.” At this, he could see a sting of hurt in Bianca’s eyes and then anger.

 

She growled, baring her sharp incisors. “You don’t think I care too!” Aaron stared at her surprised. Bianca shoved him off of her and took deep breaths to calm her pained anger. “I am coming… I can't believe that story without proof.” Despite these reasonable words, a desperate look lay fixed on her face. There would be no arguing with her. With his anger drained, Aaron just nodded

.

“Okay. Let’s go,” said Bianca, racing ahead of him.

“Don’t fall behind,” she said. Aaron chuckled and felt a grin spread across his face before running after her.

“Not kids anymore sis.” Ha… I knew she cared, he thought. Slowing her pace, Bianca turned once more to speak to him, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

 

“Oh, and I let you pin me.” Sighing, Aaron shook his head, rolling his eyes.

“Sure you did.”

 

They ran till morning, following the rising sun like the hyena had told Aaron. Rocks appeared in the distance, and they came upon the smell of dried blood and the scent of their parents. “Mom, dad,” Aaron said softly. Bianca softly nudged him to move on. Aaron nodded, and they went to follow the trace. By the end of the day, they came upon a small community of animals, made up of lions of all ages.

 

“A lion village,” Bianca whispered.

 

Upon their arrival, the lions stood up defensively in front of their cowering children, who had never seen the likes of a cheetah. They called for their King, and he came out, an elderly lion worn and scarred. Aaron immediately tensed with rage. “Bianca… It’s him,” he muttered under his breath. Bianca opened her mouth to protest, but Aaron shook his head. “He’s twice the size of the other lions. He’s huge just like Julia said.” His voice was on edge and his legs were bent as if he was ready to pounce at any moment.

 

Then, the lion spoke, “What business do you have with my family?”

 

Aaron looked down right murderous. “Do you remember? Two cheetahs just like us that you ended up killing.”

 

“Aaron,” Bianca called out. “Stop.” She looked desperately at her vengeful brother.

 

“I don’t. I am sorry. You must leave. You are scaring the cubs.” The giant towered over them threateningly.

 

After taking a long look at the man, Aaron raced towards him. “You liar!” The other lions almost attacked Aaron, but their leader stopped them solemnly. He tackled him, and the lion laid there, knocked down in pain, as he watched Aaron almost sadly. Bianca leapt forward and nudged Aaron, shoving him off of the lion, not before Aaron scratched her across the face, yet in his anger, he didn’t notice. Stubbornly, she stood between him and the lion.

 

“Bianca, let me through!!! He killed our parents!!” He paced furiously, almost tackling Bianca in the process.

 

“No, I won’t let you kill anyone. You hate hurting people, Aaron. This will hurt you the most,” Bianca shouted. “I’ll attack you if I have to. You know I can beat you.”

 

“He killed them. I wouldn’t regret it. He killed them for protecting us!!” Aaron yelled desperately. At this the old lion, looked up with interest.

 

“They were protecting you?” he asked, a pained expression on his face. Not trusting Aaron to say anything else, Bianca nodded. The lion collapsed onto his hind legs and sighed heavily.

 

“Dad!” a faraway voice said. A female lion raced to the leader and looked him over. She noticed Aaron and Bianca and hissed. “What have you done to my father?!”

 

“It is fine, Lyla. They are the children of that cheetah couple,” the leader said.

 

Lyla was shocked. “Your parents?” she said quietly. Bianca nodded again. She shook her head. “It wasn’t my dad’s fault. It was mine.”

 

“Lyla, stand down!! It’s not your fault.”

 

“Yes, it is. It was me you were protecting, dad. I led you to kill them.” She looked towards both of the cheetahs. “I’ll tell you everything.”

 

By the end of her story, both the cheetahs were in shock. They didn’t say anything, but they were both still doubtful. The leader showed them scars to prove the attack and was able to explain all of Julia’s misunderstandings. Then, he brought them to where he had laid their parents to rest. “I was protecting her, but I wish I didn’t have to kill them. You can pay your respects. Take all the time you need.” He left with heavy steps, and they watched him go to his laughing daughter and smile.

 

Aaron sighed and looked at the ground to the mound of dirt that covered their father and mother. “So… He was hunting for his daughter when she was sick…”

 

Bianca nodded and her breath hitched. “And with his size and him being a lion and all, the other animals saw him as a threat.”

 

“Mom and dad were called to help the community, and they went to protect us,” Aaron almost laughed when he said it, his eyes watery.

“The lion tried to reason with the other animals, but they jumped him. He was scared about his girl. She couldn’t survive without her dad in her condition, so he fought back. Our parents witnessed that violence and went to confront him, fearing for us.” Bianca sniffled and used her paw to wipe a falling tear.

 

“They scratched his belly and his back, but he struck out and killed them,” he said quietly with a bit of anger.

 

“Then, the lion… h-he cried over their bodies and took mom and dad to a peaceful place to rest,” Bianca whispered.

 

Sighing, they looked at each other. “I don’t know if we should be relieved or upset,” Bianca muttered, smiling. Aaron shook his head. He reached his paw to touch the scratch on Bianca’s cheek.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said in a tone laced with regret.

 

“I know,” Bianca said. “I am sorry too.”

 

They looked around at the beautiful scenery. “He really picked a beautiful place. Mom and dad would have loved to take us here,” Bianca said fondly. “We would have chased each other until it was dark, and dad would have gotten us..” Bianca’s voice broke as she fell to the ground in tears. It had been the first time she had cried over them, and she let it all out. Howling and yelling in anguish.

 

“We are so sorry for doubting you guys,” Aaron said, beginning to cry as well. Soon the air was filled with cries and sorrow. Each cheetah shed their tears on their parents’ graves until they were fast asleep. 

© 2016 Akeshi Shimikai


Author's Note

Akeshi Shimikai
Probably some HUGE grammar errors in here. Sorry, I didn't check it more thoroughly. Leave any comments you want. It's a free country, right? If you think it is awful, tell me. Withholding info saves no one. Also, has anyone seen Bungou no Stray Dogs?? (Tigers remind me of the main character);)))) See ya!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting read. The ending was definitely interesting. A tale of mistakes done with good intent, leading to a weird life of misunderstanding for the cheetahs.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Akeshi Shimikai

7 Years Ago

Thanks. Check out the alternative ending if ya want. That is if you want. Appreciate the feedback. S.. read more
Brandon Wernke

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I will do so.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 20, 2016
Last Updated on November 20, 2016
Tags: fable, moral, talkinganimals, schoolproject

Author

Akeshi Shimikai
Akeshi Shimikai

LA, CA



About
Nobody really wants to know about me, right? Completely boring, boring, boring, average kid, so I'll cut you guys some slack. Life story: Anime. Participate in my contest ;). Anyways, send me some stu.. more..

Writing