Miracle: A Semiological Analysis

Miracle: A Semiological Analysis

A Story by Stein
"

I wrote this paper for one of my Communications classes in November 2007. This is an academic paper.

"

In February of 1980 in Lake Placid, New York, a team of young hockey players all in their early twenties managed to pull off arguably one of the greatest moments in sports history. It’s hard to imagine that with all of the great moments that have occurred in sports over the last twenty five or thirty years that the greatest one was on a sheet of ice by a bunch of kids in New York. The film Miracle (Walt Disney Pictures, 2004) is about the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team led by legendary coach Herb Brooks, who is played by actor Kurt Russell. Brooks had been a member of the 1960 Olympic team but one week before the games he was dropped from the roster. The United States went on to win the gold medal and from that point on Herb Brooks wanted to win a gold medal as a coach more than anything. Brooks assembled his team specifically to defeat the Soviet Union’s hockey team, hand picking players for specific reasons. Brooks wanted to build his team to fit his system and strategy instead of picking the most talented players available. The main thing was that Brooks wanted to build his team similar to the Soviet team and simply give them a taste of their own medicine, which nobody had tried to do before. Brooks had his hands full at first trying to teach his young team the strategy he wanted to use to defeat the Soviet team. Soon enough the young players began to believe in Brooks and trust him above all else. After some tough games prior to the Olympics, the United States came back in all of their games to win a gold medal, overcoming impossible odds and pulling off a miracle. While the players on this team thought they were just playing a hockey game, the game itself was actually symbolic of the Cold War, but more important that if you believe and trust in one another you will have hope.

            In my paper one methodology was used to analyze the film Miracle (Walt Disney Pictures, 2004). Semiological analysis was the main methodology used in the paper. It offers a very full box of analytical tools for taking an image apart and tracing how  it works in relation to broader systems of meaning (Rose, 2001). Semiological analysis is broken down into three categories that examine specifically what a sign is and what it means. First there must be an understanding of what exactly a sign is. There is four parts to this process. The sign is the most basic unit of language (Rose, 2001). A sign has two parts, the signified and the signifier. The signified is a concept or an object (Rose, 2001). The signifier is a sound or an image that is attached to the signified (Rose, 2001). The other aspect is the referent. The referent is the actual object in the real world that the sign is related to. There are three kinds of signs as described by Charles Sanders Pierce, the icon, index and symbol. In iconic signs, the signifier represents the signified by apparently having a likeness to it. This type of sign is often very important in visual images, especially photographic ones (Rose, 2001). In indexical signs there is an inherent relationship between the signified and the signifier (Rose, 2001). Symbolic signs have a conventionalized but clearly arbitrary relation between signifier and signified (Rose, 2001). Signs also work in relation to other signs, which mean that it’s important to recognize these signs as well; paradigmatic and syntagmatic. Syntagmatic signs gain their meaning from the signs that surround them in a still image, or come before or after them in sequence in a moving image (Rose, 2001). Paradigmatic signs gain their meaning from a contrast with all other possible signs (Rose, 2001).

            The first scene that was analyzed was a scene where Herb Brooks makes his team do sprints after the game. In this particular scene the United State hockey team is playing the Norwegian National hockey team. Several players were sitting on the bench and looking in the stands at girls, commenting on how good they all looked. Brooks sees this and becomes angry. The two teams skate to a 3-3 tie and at the conclusion of the game Brooks tells Doc Nagobads, played by Kenneth Welsh, to grab a whistle. Assistant coach Craig Patrick tells the team they must stay on the ice and once they do Brooks tells them if they won’t work during the game they must work after and makes them do sprints. At the end of each sprint Brooks tells the team a reason why they aren’t good enough to win at the Olympics. Saying things like “You think you can win on talent alone? Gentleman you don’t have enough talent to win on talent alone”! And “the name on the front of your jerseys is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back….get that through your heads”! Brooks also keeps yelling out “again” when the team fails to perform to his liking during the sprints. Eventually the team has been doing sprints for so long that the rink manager wants to clean the ice and go home and Brooks refuses to finish. The rink manager then goes and turns the lights out on the team while they are doing their sprints. Brooks continues to make the team do sprints in the dark and eventually assistant coach Craig Patrick and Doc Nagobads begin to question why Herb is being so tough on his players. The scene ends with player Mike Eruzione, played by Patrick O’Brien Dempsey, yelling out that he plays for the United States of America and Brooks tells his team that will be all and walks off the ice.

There were several signs that offered symbolism during this scene. The major one that stands out is the use of light. During the entire film, the scenes are bright and very saturated. In this particular scene the players are on the ice and things become very dark for the first time they are on the ice. This has symbolic meaning for the team as a whole. The darkness while the team is skating is symbolic for the fact that this is the lowest point for the team thus far. Darkness represents the lack of knowledge, which also symbolizes ignorance (Webster’s, 2007). The players in this scene and up to this point have been somewhat ignorant to the fact that they don’t know exactly what it would take to win at the Olympics. This further emphasizes that they must trust and believe what Herb Brooks is trying to teach them, that they can win if only they listen to what he says, but more importantly believes in what he says. When Mike Eruzione says at the end of this scene that he plays for the United States of America, the film has reached its climax. At this point the team begins to realize that they are representing their country and begin to understand exactly what it will take to win at the Olympics. This part of the scene also represents pride, which is symbolic of what was going on with the Cold War at the time. When Brooks tells the players they have finished and he begins to walk off the ice you can see a white light behind him. This light is a contrast to the darkness that filled the entire scene (Color Wheel Pro, 2007). While the lights are still out, this white light behind Brooks symbolizes a positive connotation and sign of things to come. It also shows what had been accomplished after the game, that the team now has a sense of knowledge of what must be done if they want to win at the Olympic Games. This scene sets the stage for what is to come during the remainder of the film.

            The second scene analyzed was a scene near the end of the film after the United States had defeated the Soviet Union. In the scene the game has just ended and the players all begin to storm the ice and celebrate while the Soviet Union team looks on. Several players are congratulating one another and on the bench coach Herb Brooks is celebrating with his coaches. Brooks then looks over at the coach of the Soviet Union and he looks at Brooks in disbelief. Brooks is looking at the coach of the Soviet Union as if he doesn’t know what to say and shrugs his shoulders. Herb Brooks then proceeds to walk from the bench and over to a runway where he can see his wife and his children. He looks up at them and smiles and his wife Patti smiles back at him and Brooks proceeds to then walk to the runway and into a secluded hallway. Brooks finally realizes the magnitude of what he has accomplished and pumps his fists in the air. Brooks then sits down near the wall with his head in his hands and begins to let everything soak in. Meanwhile the team continues to celebrate on the ice, while Brooks celebrates in silence. There were several signs of symbolism in this scene. Near the end of the scene when Herb Brooks walks into the secluded hallway to celebrate, he is doing so in silence. This is symbolic of the long road that Brooks has taken to achieve his goal and that he has accomplished the one goal that he set out to at the beginning of the film and that was to beat the Soviets at their own game. When Brooks kneels down near the wall and has his head in his hands you can see that there is a light at the end of the hallway as it arcs around behind him. This is symbolic of two things. The first is that the light at the end of the hallway represents a light at the end of the tunnel, as if to say that everything he and his players had worked so hard to accomplish is now within reach and can be obtained. The major goal that the team had set was to defeat the Soviet Union and they had accomplished that and now the real prize was just at then end of the tunnel if they could beat one more team. This scene could also be symbolic for another reason as well. When Brooks is kneeling down near the wall in the hallway by himself and the hallway goes behind him and the light is behind him this could symbolize the positive event that had just taken place and the feeling of perspective that Brooks is feeling. The light is white, which is a positive sign. White also symbolizes success (Color Wheel Pro, 2007). Both things had just taken place in the hockey game. Closer to Brooks things appear to be darker. Black is associated with power, but more so it gives the feeling of perspective and depth (Color Wheel Pro, 2007). Brooks is clearly trying to put things in perspective after winning the biggest game of his life. This scene is the emotional high point for the protagonist in the film.

The film Miracle (Walt Disney Pictures, 2004) begins with a montage of late 1970’s current events that are covered during the opening credits to give the viewer the idea and feel of what it was like at that time. This also helps to shape the attitudes that Americans felt at the time in the midst of the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union. As the film begins, University of Minnesota hockey coach Herb Brooks is interviewing for the job of head coach of the United States Olympic team for 1980. Brooks has to meet with members of the American Amateur Hockey Association (AAHA) to interview for the job and during the interview explains how he plans to defeat the Soviet Union hockey team, which won gold medals at the Olympics in 1964, 1968, 1972 and 1976. The United States hasn’t defeated them since 1960. Brooks also explains how he plans to have his players train harder and longer than they had before to be able to compete with the European teams, specifically the Soviet Union, and win a gold medal. After the meeting Brooks returns home and during a Halloween party with his family receives a phone call from the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) saying that he had been chosen to coach the United States hockey team at the 1980 winter Olympics. Herb Brooks then finds himself with assistant coach Craig Patrick, played by Noah Emmerich, at the tryout camp that the USOC and the AAHA had worked to put together to scout players and eventually choose them for the team. Brooks however shows Patrick a list and explains that he has already chosen his team and is looking specifically for the right players, not the best ones. Brooks ends the camp after only a couple of hours and informs the players of who has been chosen and gives the players chosen a test which they must complete and return to him. While all of this is going on, Brooks is being confronted by Walter Bush, played by Sean McCann, who is the man in charge of the United States hockey team, for not going for the entire week with the tryouts. Brooks explains that he already knows what players he needs to compete and that they had all been chosen for specific reasons. Bush complies and Brooks goes home to prepare for the first day of practice. In the next major scene Brooks confronts one of his goaltenders, Jim Craig, played by Eddie Cahill, for not taking his test. Craig says to Brooks that he doesn’t see what it has to do with stopping the puck. Brooks looks frustrated and tells Craig that he just took the test anyway and proceeds to leave the dorm room. Craig chases after Brooks, realizing that he made a mistake and when Brooks asks him how he is doing he responds, explaining that since his mother has passed away it’s been a rough time for him and his father. Overall, Craig explains how his mother wanted him to be on the Olympic team and he wants to do this for her. Brooks allows him to stay on the team and proceeds to leave. The first day of practice offers an entirely different issue. Jack O’Callahan, played by Michael Mantenuto, is one of the players chosen for the team and he has an ongoing feud with Rob McClanahan, played by Nathan West, that dates back to three years earlier when they played against each other in a college playoff game. O’Callahan feels that he was the victim of a cheap shot and has yet to get over it. On the first day of practice O’Callahan feels that it is the right time to get revenge and hits McClanahan in the open ice. The two players go on to fight and Brooks explains to them that hockey is a game of passing, flow, and creativity and not a game of old rivalries. He tells his players that they need to become a team right now. The next major scene is when Herb Brooks is sitting in his office at his home and his wife Patti comes in to ask him if he can pick up his son from hockey practice. Herb and his wife argue about the situation and he asks what the problem is and she replies that he didn’t have the courtesy to ask her if he could coach the team. Herb apologizes and says that he hopes she can forgive him because if she doesn’t support him then it won’t have the impact it would if she had supported him. The team then begins rigorous training that goes on for several weeks. Brooks tells his players that they must be prepared because they will train like they never had before, all in an effort to play with the Soviet hockey team. During the team’s first game they are playing the Norwegian National hockey team and during the game the players sitting on the bench are more concerned with the girls in the stands than what is happening in the game. Brooks is frustrated and tells Doc Nagobads to get a whistle. The team meets at center ice where Brooks proclaims “If you don’t want to work during the game, we’ll work now.” Brooks forces his players to do sprints and each time they finish he tells them a reason why they aren’t ready to play in the Olympic Games. Eventually the sprints have gone on for so long that they end up skating in the dark because the rink manager wanted to go home and he turns the lights out on them. Mike Eruzione finally ends the punishment when he yells out that he plays for the United States of America and Brooks tells his players that they can leave. This is a major scene for two reasons, the first being that it is the climax of the film and the second being that Herb Brooks has finally gotten across to his players that if they believe in him then they can go a lot further than they thought they could. For the remainder of the team’s trip they begin to become the team that Herb Brooks thought they could become. They continue to go through practices and the chemistry continues to grow on the team. Eventually Brooks brings in a player named Timmy Harren, who is having a strong year for the University of Minnesota Gophers. Harren is brought in to see how the team will respond. Immediately Mike Eruzione begins to struggle and Brooks tells him he better start scoring or he will be cut. After a game against minor league all-stars some players ask to speak with Brooks before they board the team bus. They go on to explain to Brooks that they feel like they have become a family and they don’t want to lose anyone else. Brooks complies and sends Harren home, leaving the team intact. Next the roster needs to be cut down to 20 players overall and Brooks is forced to make a tough decision. He eventually decides on whom to cut and then must prepare his team for a trip to New York City to face the Soviet Union just three days before the opening ceremonies for the Olympics. The United States fall to the Soviets 10 to 3 and after the game Brooks has yet another big decision to make. During the game Jack O’Callahan injures his knee and Doc Nagobads explains that if it is only a ligament pull he should be ok but if it is a tear he will not be able to play. Brooks doesn’t say anything to O’Callahan while he is on the table except that Doc will need to take a picture of his knee before they could make a decision. Brooks then gathers his things to head back to his hotel and goes on to tell goaltender Jim Craig that he thinks he will give him a rest and not play him in the opening game of the Olympics. Craig becomes frustrated with Brooks and tells him that nobody understands him or why he made them take tests. Brooks asks Craig if it is really everyone or just him and Craig asks if that is what this was all about and offers to take his test. Brooks then responds by saying that he “wants to see that kid in the net that wouldn’t take the test.” When the teams arrive in Lake Placid both decisions have been made. Brooks tells Jim Craig that he will start in net and also tells Jack O’Callahan that he will keep him on the team instead of dropping him in favor of another player. In the first game the United States is playing Sweden and finds themselves losing after the second period. Rob McClanahan suffers an injury and with the risk of losing another player Brooks asks Doc if he will be able to play at all the rest of the game. Doc explains that he will not injure himself anymore but won’t be able to do much. Brooks proceeds into the locker room and yells at his team for not trying and in an effort to spark them tells McClanahan that he doesn’t have time for quitters. This sparks the team and they manage to tie the Swedish team to keep their medal hopes alive. The United States hockey team continues to win games and then find themselves in a game against the Soviet Union. It is at this point that Herb Brooks and his players realize that this game is much more than just a game. To most Americans this wasn’t a hockey game; it was a battle between the United States and the Soviet Union. The United States team comes out on the ice to chants of USA! USA! USA! And after a tough first and second period find themselves down to the Soviets heading into the third. Brooks realizes the moment and tells them that they have a huge opportunity to win and to take it all in for a few moments. He also reminds them that they have come from behind in every game in the tournament. The United States then goes on to defeat the Soviets and pull of the greatest upset in sports history. The United States then goes on to win the gold medal completing the miracle.

This film has more than just one sign that had symbolic meaning. But overall the film had one sign that stood out as its overall meaning. When examining exactly what that meaning is you come to realize that it isn’t that hard to figure out. The overall meaning of the film is really the meaning of the moment. When there is a will to win and accomplish a goal and you work at it and above all else, trust and believe in yourself and those around you trying to accomplish the same goal you create a sense of hope and will be able to accomplish the goal you set out to accomplish. The main thing to remember is that it doesn’t matter who you are or what you believe in just as long as you give your best and leave nothing on the table.


Works Cited

 

The Owl at Purdue. 2007. The Writing Lab and Owl at Purdue and Purdue University. 4 December 2007.

 

 

Webster’s Online Dictionary. 2007. Philip M Parker, INSEAD. 6 December 2007. www.websters-online-dictionary.org.

 

 

“Color Meaning.” Color Wheel Pro. 7 December 2007. www.color-wheel-pro.com.

 

 

Rose, Gillian. Visual Methodologies. London. Sage Publications, 2001.

 

 

Barsam, Richard. Looking at Movies: An Introduction to Film. New York. W.W. Norton, 2007.

 

 

Miracle. (Dir. Gavin O’Conner. Kurt Russell. DVD. Walt Disney Pictures, 2004.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

             

© 2013 Stein


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1232 Views
Added on June 23, 2013
Last Updated on June 23, 2013
Tags: Miracle, Movies

Author

Stein
Stein

Pittsburgh, PA



About
I am a father and a 2009 graduate of Clarion University of Pennsylvania with a degree in Mass Media Arts, Journalism and Communication Studies more..

Writing