Apocalypse Journal

Apocalypse Journal

A Story by AlaricMG

Journal Entry 1/2/2013


There is no one left to talk to. My grandma died a week ago and I am still getting used to the silence. A bird seems like a good option for breaking it, but all the pet stores were looted, metal shelves empty and broken. You see, three weeks ago was the apocalypse. I don't know if this account will be worth anything to anyone, but I think I should still make it. Perhaps someone will come along and read my neat stack of papers next to my typewriter. I would use one of the computers in the library downtown, but the electricity is out, no one at the plant to run the machines. Anyways, back to the end of the world. After all that is the point of this, isn’t it?

 

The disease struck very quickly, the media dubbing it the Sleep Disease. (The reason for it being that you would go to sleep and not wake up.) It was characterized by black blotches on the skin, hallucinations, loss of memory, difficulty in breathing, loss of appetite, and heart palpitations. A lot of the time your heart would give out before sleep. Scientists tried to study it, but it was spread across the world within a week of its appearance, and as you might imagine it had a high communicability rate. Popular opinion said it came from Africa and I don’t know if I feel the same way. Other people, like the Plaza Janitor think it came from the government’s experimentation.

 

“From the no good CDC,” he says. Plaza Janitor is a bit crazy now and I haven’t learned his name. But it doesn’t matter. Names have become meaningless. I’m just ‘Girl’ and he’s just ‘Plaza Janitor’. There aren’t very many people here in Spokane now. Or they’re hiding, which I think is just as likely.

© 2008 AlaricMG


Author's Note

AlaricMG
I'm not really sure where I'm going with this or if I'll even continue as it seems like I won't be able to do anything new with this genre. But anyway, I've been reading this book, "Wastelands: Stories Of The Apocalypse," and this was inspired by it. Just a few quick paragraphs. You might take notice of the date, lol. Just a few weeks after the Mayan calender ends and we're supposedly going to end along with it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You've got a good beginning for a story, so I think. True, there has been a lot written in this genre, so it's up to you to come up with some new, original ideas to put into your story. You can do it if you'll just take some time.
Your friends are right--you are pretty good at writing, but like most all of us here, you need to continue to work and improve.
I wouldn't worry too much about the Maya and their predictions---there's none of them here to take the heat for being wrong. No, it's not over till it's over.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You've got a good beginning for a story, so I think. True, there has been a lot written in this genre, so it's up to you to come up with some new, original ideas to put into your story. You can do it if you'll just take some time.
Your friends are right--you are pretty good at writing, but like most all of us here, you need to continue to work and improve.
I wouldn't worry too much about the Maya and their predictions---there's none of them here to take the heat for being wrong. No, it's not over till it's over.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 11, 2008
Last Updated on September 11, 2008

Author

AlaricMG
AlaricMG

Spokane, WA



About
I've been writing for about seven years now and I'm hoping to be published someday. Gosh I hate these sort of things. Anyway, my friends say I'm good, but they just might be doing that to spare my fee.. more..

Writing