Blindsided

Blindsided

A Story by "Aleeza"

Being married to a football fanatic, when I think of being blindsided, I see it in my mind as a football player being hit from his blind side and tackled. Usually when the clock strikes 4:30. In other words, we can see clearly at 12, 3, 6 and 9, but it’s those in between spots that we cannot always see clearly. That’s why when we are driving they always instruct us to be aware of our blind spot. To be blindsided means: hit or attack (someone) on the blind side. Like I said: when you’re looking through the mirrors as you’re driving but there’s that one spot that doesn’t catch your eye and then bang; it happened. Well, so many times in life we can be blindsided. Like through break ups and divorce. Through life altering circumstance like disease and even death. The best-case scenario is to be blindsided by love or the gift of life. Either way you experience it, it comes on without notice and takes us all by surprise. That’s how I feel that most of my life has been. Some harsh and some wonderful.

I remember the 1st time I experienced anxiety. My insides shuttered in fear and trembling for what seemed to be no reason. I had no idea it was coming and no idea why it happened. The Lord has since healed me of the worst of it and I have been free of all medications for almost a year now. I am now at the point where I can pray my way through it, with my worship music on. I must worship through it all. Although, I clearly remember one night a couple years ago, my husband was working a mid-night shift job and I was asleep. Out of nowhere I woke up in a complete panic. I began to sweat and shake. I tried to pray but my fear was too great. The last thing I remembered was wanting to jump from my 2nd story window, but it was painted shut and I couldn’t get out. When the panic began to subside, I went straight to God’s word. From that point I began placing sticky notes around my house that dealt with fear and anxiety. I stuck one right on my bedroom window that I walked by daily (The very one I tried to jump from) and it encouraged me greatly, that scripture was Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you…. Oh, how sweet those words sound! Those who know me, know the first thing to do to encourage me is to guide me straight to His word and into an atmosphere of worship. Everyone has their way of dealing with the pressures of life, mine is to worship my way through it every time.


Sometimes, my first response to be blindsided by something in life is to get emotional (I naturally blame menopause). I have a small group of friends that I reach out to immediately and instantly they pray and redirect me back to His word. One of them just kindly says; You know what to do! She’s right, I do know what to do, she just sometimes has to be a soft reminder in the midst of my chaos. We all get blindsided in life at some point. Sometimes, circumstances in life come at us with no warning, it’s like a slap in the face with a giant hand and it stings. The question is: When you get blindsided in life, how to you cope? Do you panic? Do you pray? Or do you run? I was definitely a runner. The minute I couldn’t cope I ran and I ran far away from anyone I thought would hurt me, lie to me, or betray me.Recently, I was blindsided by something in my life, it was Revelation. The revelation that no one can betray me faster than I can betray myself. Not even the devil. The truth remains that we give him way too much credit and authority over our lives. This week I had breakfast with a friend, and in our morning conversation the Lord brought such revelation to me on how quickly we can turn against ourselves.

 

We grumble about what we don’t have or what we can’t do, to the point that we sound selfish and prideful. During my time with her I realized how much I needed to surrender my own selfish pride unto the Lord and receive His blessings with a grateful heart, even if they don’t look like what I thought they should. Not that I am un-grateful or prideful, but we all have those moments. The question then entered my mind: How can we as Children of the most Beautiful living God be so hateful about ourselves when it is He who resides in us? If the Lord lives in me then every good thing in me is of Him. So, if He lives in me then how can I not love who He is in me and what He does through me? 2 Tim 1:14 says; Guard, with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us, protect the good treasure that has been entrusted to you. We need to become acutely aware of who He is for us, to be prepared when the trials and excitements of life blindside us. The word says to be on guard at all times. Luke 21:34 Constantly be on your guard so that your hearts will not be loaded down with self-indulgence, drunkenness, and the worries of this life, or that day will take you by surprise.


We must get better at the way we re-act in life. I personally look forward to the day when All of my first responses to life’s hard challenges are always that of a sound mind and calm emotions, because it always works out for His Glory and not our own. So, the next time you get blindsided by life’s circumstances, how will you respond? My prayer is that we all learn to respond in a matter that says: Lord’ I trust you. All that I have and All that I am is in You!


Psalm 16:5-11 You, Lord, are all I have, and you give me all I need; my future is in your hands. 

How wonderful are your gifts to me; how good they are!  I praise the Lord, because he guides me, and in the night my conscience warns me. 

 I am always aware of the Lord's presence; he is near, and nothing can shake me. 

And so I am thankful and glad, and I feel completely secure, 

because you protect me from the power of death. I have served you faithfully, and you will not abandon me to the world of the dead. 

You will show me the path that leads to life; your presence fills me with joy and brings me pleasure forever.

 

© 2018 "Aleeza"


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on April 25, 2018
Last Updated on April 25, 2018

Author

"Aleeza"
"Aleeza"

PA



About
I have a tremendous passion to share my heart with anyone who is willing to listen. I write about the experiences I've lived throughout my life before and after accepting Christ. Everything I have wr.. more..

Writing
Undone Undone

A Story by "Aleeza"