GHSA Essay - Accomplishing Goals

GHSA Essay - Accomplishing Goals

A Story by Cole
"

This was an essay written for my Global Honors Scholar Program application, and was written accordingly for that purpose with the intentions I had at the time in mind. My goals have changed.

"

**This was an essay written for my Global Honors Scholar Program application, and was written accordingly for that purpose with the intentions I had at the time in mind. My goals are subject to change**


Ever since I was a child I have wanted to serve in the military.  Granted, at such a young age I simply envisioned the boots on the ground fighting in a foreign area.  As I matured my passion to serve has increased and my goals have expanded to include global studies.  With these interests in mind, I want a career that will include my two passions; though I also want a career that will challenge myself and be of best service to our nation.  Originally, I was considering being a linguist �" a position for enlisted personnel; however, I discovered a different career field that best suits my goals.  Now, I am working towards becoming an International Affairs Strategist for the United States Air Force.

            The International Affairs Strategist field consists of Air Force officers with a minimum of seven years of experience in the armed forces.  Therefore, I must meet the requirements to be an Air Force officer as well as the field specific requirements.  All throughout the requirements for both tend to coincide with each other.  However, I don’t want to simply be eligible for the program; I want to be an impeccably qualified candidate with a superior chance of being accepted.  In order to do this I created a plan of execution that is divided into three categories: physical well being, education and training, as well as personal goals.

            To be a part of the Air Force I must be able to pass the Air Force Physical Fitness Test which consists of push-ups, curl-ups and a mile and a half run.  In order to be able to not only pass, but to hopefully achieve a perfect score, I have prepared a fitness plan that involves a physical training session that specifically targets improving my abdominal and upper body strength along with my endurance and capability to run the mile and a half in a short amount of time. I will also be working towards being able to run a half a marathon with three other friends who also plan to attend Mary Baldwin.  In addition to this I keep myself busy at most times with school activities such as drill team, parades and other miscellaneous events.  I also intend to participate in the Virginia Women’s Institute of Leadership program at Mary Baldwin as well as try out for the softball team and cross country or be a part of club sports at the school.  By accumulating my fitness plan, preparing my mother for enlistment and activities I am in currently and plan to be a part of during my college life I should be beyond well prepared for the Air Force.

            A standard requirement to be commissioned into the United States Air Force is to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.  The International Affairs Strategist field has the exact same requirement, with no specific degree mentioned, alongside a seven year background in the Air Force.  However, when I contacted the program director he said that there is greater priority given to candidates with a degree oriented with linguistics, politics or global studies; but the air force training specialty background plays virtually no significance nor gains any “bonus points”.  Before college though, I have to ensure that my time in high school is well spent. In order to do this, I have been taking the most advanced classes available to me including the following Advanced Placement courses: Chemistry, Language and Composition, United States History as well as Statistics.  Alongside of my difficult courses, I have been working towards an advanced diploma with honors recognition; which means that I would be graduating with our highest ranked diploma with a grade point average of at least a 4.0.  By working hard, even while still in high school, I will be ready and able to adjust to, and perform well in, college.   Now, to meet the requirement to have a bachelor’s degree I plan to graduate from Mary Baldwin College, so that without a doubt I will achieve an exceptional education.  While at college, I hope to double-major in International Relations and French; I also plan to work towards a minor in Leadership while studying Arabic.  By studying these fields I will be well qualified and given priority for the International Affairs Strategist career path.   In college I plan to work hard enough to be able to be a part of the Global Honors Program and to graduate with honors also.  Now, by working extremely hard to maximize my educational opportunities at both the high school and college levels; as well as aligning my education with the suggested studies and the honors program’s standards, I will for sure be an outstanding candidate for the International Affairs Strategist field.  In addition, I will also be able to increase my ability to be a beneficial officer to the Air Force and our nation.

Now, beyond the basic physical and educational requirements of both the Air Force and the International Affairs Strategist Field I have other, personal goals I would like to achieve that involve becoming as best of an officer as I can be.  This means I must not only meet but exceed standards.  In regards to standards, as mentioned above, I hope to achieve honors recognition all throughout my education as well as pass the Air Force Physical Fitness Test with a consistent score of a hundred.  By surpassing the requirements, and achieving what is deemed as “preferred” by the Director of the International Affairs Strategist.  Also, I have participated in our high school’s Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps.  While in the program I have strived for and served in the highest leadership positions available including: Corps Commander, Senior Enlisted Advisor, Flight Commander, Team Commander and Assistant Commander.  While serving in this program doesn’t give me any obvious benefits such as increased pay grade, higher chance of being accepted or anything of that nature, I have grasped a basic understanding of the Air Force, discipline and time management, physical training in the military, as well as learned leadership, customs and courtesies.  And I am sure that by having striven to achieve in the program I have received a grand amount of experience and knowledge of which I can put towards my college life as well as my career in the Air Force.  In addition, I have participated in numerous clubs and activities that have helped me in public speaking, understanding of foreign affairs, international cultures, conducting meetings, serving my community as well as my ability to orient with various different people.   All of which will be of astronomical benefit for my future goals which have to do with embassy work, organizing and presenting, serving my nation while working with many different types of people.

By maximizing my education, continuing to strive for better physical fitness test scores and seeking personal goals I will surely be able to grandly surpass the requirements while coinciding what the Director of the International Affairs Strategist field mentioned what would be preferred.  Not only will I meet these requirements and preferences, but also I will hopefully also be a fully capable and beneficial officer to serve my nation, the Corps as well as those who work for me.  With all this, by the time I am potentially a ranking General in the Air Force or retired I would like to be able to tell my descendents of the amazing stories as an International Affairs Strategist and how I was able to do it because of hard work, determination, an exceptional education and a dream to keep the drive burning.

            

© 2013 Cole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on February 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 17, 2013
Tags: GHSA, honors, essay, goals, military

Author

Cole
Cole

Charleston, SC



About
The name is Cole. A writer, college student, dreamer, and learner. Very open minded and friendly person for the most part. I enjoy life as can be, and I continuously search to learn more whether it's .. more..

Writing
Dear World Dear World

A Story by Cole


The Voyage The Voyage

A Book by Cole