GHS Essay - Learning Something New

GHS Essay - Learning Something New

A Story by Cole
"

written for GHS application

"

** This was written for my Global Honors Scholar Program application **



            It was my first day of high school when I first experienced Air Force Junior ROTC. I had been placed in the class on accident, and intended on exchanging it for French Three. However, I decided to give the class a try. For the initial ten minutes I was extremely nervous and was positive that I would change the class. Then, the Senior Leadership came into the room to tell us about the Corps, what programs it held, who they were and about opportunities available to cadets. Instantly my attitude changed.

            After that first day I was excited about being a part of the program. I couldn’t wait to be able to wear the uniform, work for the Corps and learn about the etiquettes, drill and ceremonies, uniform regulations and anything I could. That day, I even made the goal to become one of the most successful Corps Commanders the Corps has ever had. Therefore, I began my journey to reach my lofty goal.

            My first three years I spent in various leadership positions, participated in numerous events and strived to increase my knowledge and understanding. By the end of my third year as a cadet I had attended at least 50 outside events, met many high ranking military personnel, performed in most every Drill and Color Guard event and attended all Corps ceremonies while serving in approximately five different leadership positions. I learned about flying a Cesna, commanding a flight, honor and color guard maneuvers, what all Corps teams and jobs did, life skills such as time management and so much more. Those three years of constant drive for better understanding prepared me for my fourth year.

            As a cadet of excellent performance I was chosen to serve as the Corps Commander. But I had not yet reached my goal. Granted, I was already the most decorated cadet the Corps had produced. But, I had not yet achieved a successful career as Corps Commander. In the summer before my year as Commander I decided to undergo a training period as well as a reassessment.

            Before my fourth and final year as the Cadet Colonel I underwent more training to ensure capability to serve my Corps well. First I spent a few weeks studying other units and spoke with both their instructors and cadets. Then, I worked with a specific unit to hone my drill and exhibition skills. Finally, I concluded my summer with serving as a standard cadet at Summer Leadership School. By spending my summer preparing for my year as Corps Commander I was ensuring that I would be able to lead the Corps successfully. I wanted to know more about possible inner workings of other successful Corps, and to recall what it is like to be a cadet of no leadership standing. With this, I felt that I was ready for my senior year in AFJROTC.

            At the end of my career as the Corps Commander for Air Force Junior ROTC unit VA-20011 I had made a name for myself. By having devoted myself to learning anything and everything there was to know about the Corps and various skills and policies to implement I had reached my goal �" I am now noted as one of the most dedicated and successful Commanders the unit has had. From the beginning of my time in AFJROTC I was excited and motivated to be a part of the program and to do what I could to provide for the Corps. Now, my time is extinguished with the Corps and it is time to move on. However, my next chapter in life involves college at Mary Baldwin and participation in the Virginia Women’s Institute of Leadership and hopefully the Global Honors Program. And, I am beyond ecstatic in beginning my time there and am preparing as much as I can in ensuring I optimize the experience and education I receive.

© 2013 Cole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on February 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 17, 2013
Tags: essay, academic, honors, military, learning something new

Author

Cole
Cole

Charleston, SC



About
The name is Cole. A writer, college student, dreamer, and learner. Very open minded and friendly person for the most part. I enjoy life as can be, and I continuously search to learn more whether it's .. more..

Writing
Dear World Dear World

A Story by Cole


The Voyage The Voyage

A Book by Cole