The Glassblower's Masterpiece

The Glassblower's Masterpiece

A Poem by Cole
"

This is a poem in regards to what it means to be Transgender.

"

A fair facade of crystal glass


The world had paid to come and see,


Adorned and fawned, so acclaimed a masterpiece,


The glassblower had yet to believe.


Inordinate and disproportionate,


Where the soul had ceased to be.


But when the bard had come to sing


True a tale of a girl in well-worn jeans,


And a boy well fond of precious beads,


Inspiration had begun to ring.


A new design among the glass


In which the word had over-passed,


Expressive and true, and dawned anew


Only the glassblower would seem to believe,


Both elegant and esoteric


With a bit of soul in every weave


And then the bard had need to flee


When the masterpiece had come to be


To sing of a Glassblower of which to see


Who’s inspiration was that to be free

© 2013 Cole


Author's Note

Cole
If you are interested in more behind the meaning of the poem, you may request it through comment or message. I'll send it to you when I can.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The glass represents how many times, especially those who are trans, we are found hiding behind a facade that we create ourselves. The first creation that the Glassblower makes is that to please others, but yet he doesn't find any joy in his creation because it doesn't represent himself, and rather sees it as hideous and not worthy of being called a masterpiece. And, art is generally seen as an extension of ones soul, and also can be translated into how art is the canvas in which we choose to show to the world who we are. The bard represents the moment when a trans experiences realization, which in my case was through hearing of others stories about how they defied the traditional roles that I was so used to, and the poem is meant to sound dated with the jeans and beads aspect being considered controversial during that time. The bard's tale sparks the Glassblower's (trans) desire to create a new masterpiece, one that is truly his own and represents him and everything about him. However, the world doesn't approve or like the new masterpiece, which is what most of the trans community experiences. But the Glassblower is beyond pleased with what he made, and when he accepts that the bard has a new story to share with others so to inspire others who are having the same concerns and issues. Also, the glass represents how fragile the human body and soul is, especially in regards to such a topic as personal identity. And, I left our gender indicative pronouns so that anyone could identify in whatever way they choose.

Posted 11 Years Ago


its like a mini da vinci code... can u elaborate behind the meaning of this poem :-)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 17, 2013
Last Updated on February 17, 2013
Tags: transgender, lgbt, trans, glassblower, masterpiece, poem, poetry

Author

Cole
Cole

Charleston, SC



About
The name is Cole. A writer, college student, dreamer, and learner. Very open minded and friendly person for the most part. I enjoy life as can be, and I continuously search to learn more whether it's .. more..

Writing
Dear World Dear World

A Story by Cole


The Voyage The Voyage

A Book by Cole