Neveah and Heaven

Neveah and Heaven

A Story by Alexa kerrio
"

All-dialogue

"

Nevaeh and Heaven

            “What is your greatest fear?”

“I never really thought about it…but I think it’s something I would never tell anyone, especially not you. I have never trusted you.”

            “Nevaeh, I have known you all your life, don’t be silly. If there is anyone in this world that you can trust, it’s me. I have always been there to support you and give you advice, both in good times and in bad. What a shame it is that you do not trust the person who loves you the most.”

            “I don’t want to tell you anything; I don’t even like you right now.”

            “Now you are getting ahead of yourself, Nevaeh. How about you give me five guesses? I will guess fairly five times and if I never guess correctly, then you can keep your fear a secret for the rest of our lives. If I do guess correctly, you have to tell me your greatest fear.”

            “Ok, but I highly doubt you will be able to guess it. It’s really quite unusual. Anyways, shoot. Time for your first guess.”

            “Are you afraid of the dark, Nevaeh? It can be very frightening. Ominous and mysterious shapes lurk where you can not see them. Aren’t you afraid of belligerent escaped prisoners? Or maybe you are afraid of the dead who are stuck between our world and beyond! Don’t you find those things scary? Is the dark your greatest fear?”

            “HAHA! No! Every night I sleep in complete darkness. Why would I be so afraid of the dark? Being afraid of the dark is for children, and it has been a long time since I was a child. Next!”

            “Is death your greatest fear, Nevaeh? Dying young, vibrant and thriving? Dying a painful and romantic death, never getting to do the things you wanted to in life? How about afterwards, when your limbs rot away from your body and your corpse becomes just part of beneficial minerals to the Earth? Doesn’t it frighten you that someday you will be forgotten? What if there is no afterlife and all you do for the rest of eternity is decompose under the soil, forever banished from the living, ceasing to exist. Is death your greatest fear?”

            “Y-y-yes, death is very s-scary, but it is not my greatest fear. I try to live my life to the fullest everyday so I will have no regrets on the day that I die. Tell me your next guess, Heaven.”

            “Is your greatest fear the fear of heights, Nevaeh? The endless journey between yourself and the Earth from a great distance in the sky? Imagine yourself soaring through the air, slicing the wind as you fall to your death. The space your have covered lingers threateningly above you, reminding you that you have less and less time before you hit the ground. Your hair whips violently like a possessed razor, snipping your face with its ends. The narrow path above you gets longer and longer as the ground waits eagerly to meet your end. Isn’t height your greatest fear?”

            “You are scaring me…height is not my greatest fear.”

            “Hahaha. Who’s laughing now, Nevaeh? You thought you were so smart.”

            “GUESS AGAIN, HEAVEN! You only have two guesses left, so you had better make them good ones! Now guess!”

            “Intimidated now, aren’t we? Let me see…Oh yes, I have it! Is your greatest fear spiders, Nevaeh? At night your imagination is on overdrive, and you imagine millions of them first dropping like rain, and then slowly engulfing you under one giant, pulsing mob? Or maybe just the one, alone with you in a white room. A slowed down, creepy, minor version of ‘Itsy Bitsy Spider’ echoing inside your head. Its skeletal black legs slink forward and it envisions you eight times over in its tiny malevolent brain, just before it attacks you! Aren’t spiders your greatest fear?”

            “Stop! You are really scaring me now…I take back the deal. I don’t want to do this anymore. I’m done.”

            “And with that statement, you give me the correct answer. I should’ve noticed it before.”

            “I said stop! You’re scaring me and I’m afraid. I don’t want to play this anymore. I want to go to bed now.”

            “Your greatest fear is yourself. The beast that is you; the evil part of your soul that you can not tame. All your insecurities and fears and fantasies that you conjure up inside your infected mind. The dangerous and mysterious unexplored territories of your mind, and hidden truths so horrible they can never be exorcised. You fear the haunting and grotesque nature of your own mind, and the eerie and hairy realism of your raw soul. Your greatest fear is yourself, or else why would you be talking to your own reflection in a mirror? Isn’t your greatest fear that of yourself, Nevaeh?”

 

© 2008 Alexa kerrio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Fascinating glimpse of the darker side of introspection; it is so true that there are many things which we may fear, and the vast majority of them afflict us only with our mind's permission. With time, most fears pass
( except those born from prudence and caution ) and those that remain often do not involve us directly.
PS - Spiders can be good friends, once that we come to understand them. Just little creatures sharing our world and our life.
Very good work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Nice ending twist. It was very good and it kinda scared me! Nice job

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 26, 2008

Author

Alexa kerrio
Alexa kerrio

Toronto, Downtown, Canada



About
I'm 18 years old and I live in Toronto, Canada. I'm an ammature writer and I'm currently doing an English major at the University of Toronto. Thanks to everyone who reviews my work, your critiques are.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..