A Bandaid for Winter

A Bandaid for Winter

A Story by Alexalibur
"

Warming up with tea and a small piece of writing. I've never seen snow in my life, or experienced such cold, so I feel it is a good opportunity to try out what it would feel like.

"
His view shifted rapidly. Staring at the view from the window next to his seat as the train passed the tunnel. The lights, circular and hanging still, extended horizontally like a vision trick.

What did he see? Many things, but the train was fast, so his view stretched thin.
But once the tunnel is behind, the view opens itself wide, like curtains rising to reveal the second, long awaited act.

But what if the act turned out sour? The actors delivering lines misplaced, the props cheap and the music borrowed from the previous act? The disappointment might decide the rest of the play.

It was like that when the scene changed, and it was fields covered in snow. White, endless, and plentiful. Piles and piles covered the horizon, until nothing else was seen.

While this may not be true, for trees and mountains faraway sprinkled one's eyesight, it was still all grey and empty. He turned his head away, examining the rest of fellow passengers who shared the view. Their thoughts may not be visible, but guessing them wasn't too difficult.

To his right, a man with wrinkles and grey hair hinting at his old age. Head rested back, he was fast asleep. His ears were covered by beige earmuffs, likely to shelter him from the harsh, northern cold and help his sleep. There were no thoughts to figure out, only curiosity about dreams he may be shuffling through.

Further on the other side, a child, likely 8, with ginger hair and freckles against all odds of weather, watched excitedly from his window, while his parent reminded him to keep quiet. Only at such an age could snow be nothing but pure joy. He would smile at such infectious excitement, but a moment of warmth and calm were preferred in this current moment.

He shifted his head to look to their front, but those seats were empty, and to his front, a woman he could not see her face. Her long, dark scarf wrapped loosely around her neck, covering her shoulders. The pattern was mesmerizing, green and white shapes in perfect harmony. A fine winter gift to anyone. He could notice a book she was reading. It was not obvious its contents, but they were engrossing enough for her to pass the time. He wished he was not tired of his own books in that moment.

Behind his right, another man of similar age to him seemed to be endlessly sketching since the trip started for what it seems like an eternity. He wore a silver headset, matching the frames of his oval glasses, and a raincoat to protect from the rain that was plentiful on the way to the station. The man briefly made eye contact with him, which forced him to break away his, lest it becomes uncomfortable for both, but the man thought nothing of it and continued on.

The old man beside him woke up startled, suddenly, startling him as well. He slowly turned around to scan the area, unchanged as it was. "How much left?" He asked slowly.

The man said: "Only a few hours, mister." Before looking to his left again, and spotting what seemed to be the phantasmagorical view of northern lights. A subtle aurora, with myriads of shades in the distance. They glimmered faintly through the storm. His lips parted in awe, for this view was rare and feels fictional. It took little time until it faded away, but it warmed his heart enough, he did not need more. His fingertips were cold, but he knew he was gonna be fine.

© 2022 Alexalibur


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on January 22, 2022
Last Updated on January 22, 2022
Tags: Winter, cold, snow, train, passengers, 3rd person

Author

Alexalibur
Alexalibur

Syria



About
Writing is my ikigai. English is my second language. more..

Writing
Pendulum Pendulum

A Poem by Alexalibur