Purveyor of Fear: An Article of Intensive Cynicism and Disdain.

Purveyor of Fear: An Article of Intensive Cynicism and Disdain.

A Story by A. Bennett

Purveyor of Fear: An Article of Intensive Cynicism and Disdain. 
Written by A. Bennett

As I sit here writing on my bed, I can only think a singular thought, "What would Dr. Thompson be saying right now?"
For many years I have considered myself an a-political enigma within American culture. When asked by cohorts who I would vote for in the preceding election, I would always manage to skate the question with mumbles of personal liberty and self preservation. When I look into a mirror, I do not see red or blue, black or white, right or left; I only see a man who lacks the political observance to discuss an election in any detail other than the names of the candidates. The bolder of my friends and family have given the note that it is my duty as an American to choose a side, to vote, to protect my beliefs; the problem is that I don't feel either sides of the argument protect my interests as a citizen.
Dr. Thompson wrote a line in The Rum Diaries that went something to the tune of, "The only eventuality worse than [Nixon] is, you know, that one day some filthy w***e-beast is going to show up and make him look like a liberal!"
When I read that line, it sent shivers down my spine; truly, the election of Donald Trump is the eventuality Dr. Thompson spoke of. A man, a filthy w***e-beast even, who lies as he breathes and will say anything to make his mark. One who cares little for the value of the every-man's life and obsesses upon how he is perceived to the point of utter narcissism.
So what is the every-man to do? Does he take to the street to disassemble the tyrant? Is he taken in the embrace of psychoactive substances and alcoholism? No. The every-man builds the tyrant a throne of gold and oil, offering his back as a footstool. The every-man is taken by the lies and the hatred he has been sold by the tyrant and he devours them as if they were his only sustain. 
Dr. Thompson would be disappointed in America today. If he was still alive, I postulate his words would be filled with rage and disdain; after all, those are the only kind of words born when the world is ruled by a purveyor of fear. 

© 2017 A. Bennett


Author's Note

A. Bennett
Simple first draft of a short article. Do and say as you please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on January 20, 2017
Last Updated on January 20, 2017
Tags: politics, justice, cynical, fear, loathing, gonzo, trump

Author

A. Bennett
A. Bennett

MS



About
Caterpillar of the apolitical; seeker of truth. more..