Prologue/Chap. 1

Prologue/Chap. 1

A Chapter by Alexus Shanae
"

unfinished.

"

She’s Got The Blues, Many Different Hues

 

Kristina loved music, she loved the Blues. She liked how the heavyhearted guitar keys lifted her from her own forlorn attitude. She loved how the emotionally equipped artists wove their voices with the instruments, how they came together; fingertips brushing as they danced honestly together making sweet, sweet music. She loved how soft Blues music flowed, and how catastrophic and witty other songs turned out to be.

 

She loved the blues.... The blues... She Had the Blues. 

 

***

 

Kristina drove, her foot light on the gas; she was just passing by. Passing by the empty pastures. Passing by the dotted yellow lines on the sun cracked pavement. Tapping her palm on the steering wheel, her smile broadened showing those perfectly straight teeth her friends envied. The song quickened, so did Kristina her head swung around and round flipping her hair in brown waves in a way you'd imagine her voice must of looked singing along so out of key. She was making a good time out of a bad time, the convertible top down on her teal blue BW Bug. Her gold bangle bracelets shimmed as she sang at the top of her lungs with gasps of laughter in between. 

 

She didn’t care she just lost her only source of income, she wasn't content with her job anyway. She didn’t care about the reason she was fired either. Her heart completely unbothered by the fact that regardless she was the best hairdresser on the states map, her boss just couldn't keep a young woman around the shop that couldn't be swooned by his so called charm. He kicked her to the curb because she didn’t let his hand slip up her skirt like he did with the other girls. She was clean, not sleazy so that’s why she was fired. And she liked that.  

 

A horn blared behind her, clashing with her positive vibes. The rearview mirror showed a rusted old semi-truck riding her a*s. Kristina felt a trickle of irritation inch up her spine, her golden eyes glared at the driver as she locked him in her gaze through the rearview mirror. She watched the scene behind her, the driver with his wrinkled scowl pulling on his horn like a mad man with tatted gorilla arms. Something welled up inside her, the irritation manifesting into a little curved smile on her tiny lips. To her this was almost comical. Instead of the middle finger routine she decided to pull off to the side of the road, the truck whizzed by almost clipping her side mirror. That’s when she flipped him the bird and cursed him to hell along with his mother. Kristina pulled out her Marlboros and flicked her BIC. Her eyes closed. The side of the road wasn’t the best place to rest, but it was much needed and well deserved. 


***


The teal BW pulled into the Country Store stopping at the first gas pump, its muffler puffed black carbon making the ozone cringe. Kristina scrunched her chin into her jacket collar, Damn its cold. The greeting bell to the convenient stores door dinged bringing Kristina’s attention to a handsome twenty something young man walking towards her car. His dirty carhartt overalls drug a little under his boots, a huge pet peeve that his tan cut up arms made up for. Kristina looked back to the pump to watch the dollars add up. The man knocked on her hood before coming up to her side,

 

“You want me to pump that for you miss?”

 

A gas pumper? How cute.


Kristina blushed subtle pink, “Yea I’d like that, thanks.” Their fingers brushed softly as Kristina passed the pump, “Ope, sorry… got a name?”


 



© 2012 Alexus Shanae


Author's Note

Alexus Shanae
This is a unfinished, ran into issues. Let me know what you think of it so far! thankyou!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nyx
I love the intro. I swear I could actually hear the blues while reading it and the rhythm doesn't disappear until the third paragraph. That's a good thing because it's like the background music fades and that fading calls the reader to pay attention to the text. I also love how vivid the images appear to me while reading. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Added on May 21, 2012
Last Updated on June 24, 2012
Tags: prologue, beginning, blues


Author

Alexus Shanae
Alexus Shanae

CO



About
I am an avid reader, some where along the way I became a lover of writing as well. Excuse my ammature skills and enjoy my pleasant stories and prose. I would appreciate feedback, even if it sticks.. more..

Writing