The Asylum

The Asylum

A Poem by Zombie Waffle
"

Inspired and influenced by the work of Emilie Autumn.

"

Welcome to our asylum.

 

The doctors here can fix you

With just a pinch of lithium.

That’s all it takes to subdue:

The lunacy of your lesbianism.

The blasphemy of your atheism.

The folly of your careerism.

 

Our rules here are simple:

 

You will swallow what we give you.

You will speak when we ask you a question.

You will feel what we tell you to.

You will eat when we ring the bell.

You will sleep when we turn out the lights.

 

Your life belongs to us now.

 

Procreation is no longer an option.

We must protect the human race from your insanity;

Just one more visit to the surgeon.

Your genes are poisoned with immoral profanity,

Tainted with female perversion.

 

Welcome to your asylum.

© 2012 Zombie Waffle


Author's Note

Zombie Waffle
This was really just thrown together; just on a whim.
The ideas present in this poem are inspired by the work of Emilie Autumn - namely the Opheliac and Fight Like a Girl albums. Her work revolves around the victorian asylums for women and girls, fighting for women's equality.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really, really liked this! When I was reading this I couldn't help myself; I read the poem in a creepy man's voice. The second stanza is the one that caught my eye. Bit of control freaks arent they? Lol. Over all, great poem! Please keep writing. I bet your work is amazing! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great work! Enthralling and thought provoking in a concise eerie package. This makes me appreciate your feedback that much more

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zombie Waffle

10 Years Ago

I appreciate that - thank you.
I read this...and I think of communist China. Woman there are treated like a disease...in need of being silenced and spaided. There's a practice of selling the first born if it is a baby girl...a black market....that eats these babies. If it is a male child...they worship him...and keep him as a heir. Why are woman treated like animals?

It's sick...but isn't that how some species work? They mate...and then the woman must protect their offspring from consumption?

Wtf....I hear stories such as the above...and we have the nerve to think we are civilized?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Zombie Waffle

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the time you took to review, and I'm glad you like it.

But,
.. read more
Very powerful. Emotional, chilling, and well written. Can I like print it out and hang it on my wall?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was in one myself and you got pretty much everything that happens in there. but It's not that terrible, I mean it wasn't that serious and mean. It's just a nice place to take a break from the world and whale. But i do applaud you. Very whaleiful job. It's quite what everyone expects a psych ward to be, but it's not that bad.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

...and, perhaps, being Orwellian in nature, this is where we are all headed. Keep your eyes low and your fingers to the grindstone. Never speak up, never speak out, conform or ...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent use of language with a biting tone. Cheers.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a very powerful piece. The dark undertones carry the piece so well and make it so emotional.

I wish my comment could be of some use to you but, alas, you cannot critique something you already view as perfect.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Joe
I love the combination of the feeling of fear from the asylum and the feeling of oppression from the female elements. Great work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It was very eery. (if i spelled that right. haha) Either way i loved it. I like poetry like this. A bunch of nonsense, but put together well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have to admit, I haven't heard of Emilie Autumn.
But I like this poem - it is true that we're being told what to do and how to behave these days. We must break the chains of moral corruption and take our lives in our own hands. Fight for a better world where everyone is treated as equal.
Very good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1135 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on June 22, 2012
Last Updated on June 22, 2012
Tags: Asylum, insanity, madness, mental health

Author

Zombie Waffle
Zombie Waffle

Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom



About
I've been absent from here for a while now, but I am hoping to break back into my writing now that I'm settled at university. Don't expect flowery romance or deep emotional scenes here - I like my .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


∞

A Poem by Alessander


Jellyfish Jellyfish

A Poem by xSamilynnx