Woodstock Nation

Woodstock Nation

A Poem by Allen Smuckler















If I could figure out the snit that I’m in now,

and understand the state, and how I got there

then perhaps I’ll get a sense of where I’m heading,

or at least from where I started this long journey.

 

My mind is shackled like a prisoner on the lam

and crashing out for freedom’s choice or bust.

I must admit I’m crazy from the fever,

and searching for the answers never found.

 

There was Martin, and John and Gandhi too

teaching love ins, peace and happiness.

We wrote and sang and made love in bushes

While celebrating Woodstock Nation.

 

But, we  had Tricky Dick and Kissinger

insisting on a war that no one wanted.

The killing fields stretched cross the ocean

to my backyard and yours, remember?

 

So choose my brethren, choose between

a war of blood, dismay and  torture

or of peace and love and happiness,

and a place called Woodstock Nation.

 

 

 

 


 

© 2012 Allen Smuckler


Author's Note

Allen Smuckler
December 23, 2010
Woodstock Photo: August 17, 1969
...And yes, I did attend and remember very little...however it is tough to forget Janis and Jimi.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice captured photo of a experience as well as a poem with a meaning and journey all in one. Sad to say I do not know much about the Woodstock Nation. Only Woodstock from Snoopy. Hehe.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I wasn't even alive for Woodstock. What you showed in this piece was absolutely brilliant. I loved it. I have always wondered what Woodstock was like.

Posted 12 Years Ago


i can feel the energy that permeated Woodstock. the chance to see the best classic rock in person. i only wish i could've seen jimi hendrix live. and the psychedelic substances that enhanced the whole experience. great poem showing later generations what it was like. i envy your generation. i was born almost a decade after. loved it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was BEAST!!! My brother attended the 50 yr anniversery of Woodstock..He brought back a beautiful hand crafted necklace for me. The bead softened so it never chips and hand painted...they had to have used a mag glass the detail is so small..he told me that the whole thing was considered to be a great deal like the original Woodstock Concert event. Must have been amazing to be a part of it, even if you remember very little...your emotions and recollections seem so vivid and points of view so well captured...just amazing. BTW I was born two years after the original Woodstock Nation happened. Just missed it :) Beautiful poem and wonderful voice you have as well :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


For those of us old enough to remember woodstock wouldnt it be nice to go back to that simpler time

Posted 12 Years Ago


What you are saying here is so important and most certainly represents the most important choice at hand. I remember Woodstock, though I wasn't there. It impacted me deeply. Your piece made me remember.

I did get to see Hendrix a few times at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino. I'm glad I got to experience that.

Thanks also for your review of "Sweet Limes." I had fun writing that one.

Looking forward to perusing around your little corner of the cafe. I like what I see so far.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved this one it was very well said,
Many people could learn something from this or possible even relate to it was
Outstanding XD

Posted 12 Years Ago


I was too young to understand this time. I thought we learn our lesson. Can't change view of a Asia or Africa nation. They are old and set in their ways. I hope we learn to get along before it is too later. Thank you for the thought provoking poetry.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
hmmm Im a lil young for Woodstock...but this was absolutely a wonderful piece.
Im with the Muse on this one...
My mind is shackled like a prisoner on the lam
and crashing out for freedom’s choice or bust.
I must admit I’m crazy from the fever,
and searching for the answers never found.

Awesome




Posted 12 Years Ago


A wonderful energetic...and full of live poem...woodstock...nothing like that anymore...

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

738 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on March 9, 2012

Author

Allen Smuckler
Allen Smuckler

Sarasota, FL



About
I'm a poet, a singer, a peaceful gunslinger.. looking to share my poetry..and a little bit of me...if I dare I 've been writing since I was 18.... am slightly older now, and still trying to fin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..