Chapter 6 ... Fear needs a hug

Chapter 6 ... Fear needs a hug

A Chapter by Allen Smuckler
"

Fear is just your feelings asking for a hug

"

Chapter 6

                              

                                      Fear is just your feelings asking for a hug

                   

                                                             - Danielle Sanchez-Witzel and Michael Pennie

                                                                                    My Name is Earl (T.V. Show)

 

 

     "Dad, feel like having a catch?" I asked quietly.  It probably sounded more like a plea, because his response was terse and melancholy.

     "Not right now" he spoke, and for the first time I noticed a tear drop under his right eye.

     "Here, come lie down with me, Allen " as he tapped the bed gently to show where he wanted me.

     I was nervous and confused, but not scared.                                                

     "Sure," I said in an agreeable tone.

     We laid there, for what seemed like hours until he spoke these words:

     "Son, if anything should happen to me, I want you to have my Tallit [Tallis] and Tefillin...."

     I stopped listening after he uttered 'if anything should happen to me'...and went a little numb and cold.

     "What could happen to you," I naively asked, the way any ten year old might wonder. 

     What could possibly happen? I thought.  All I knew, my father, an orthodox Jew, was bequeathing his most valued possessions to me.  His Tallis and Tefillin.  Handed down from his father to him and probably passed down from his grandfather to his father.

 

     My head began to spin, my stomach knotted up and a sense of panic came over me like I had never felt before and only one time, since.

     I was now officially scared, and we both knew it.                                   

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                           

                                                


© 2012 Allen Smuckler


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

it is confusing, scary, perhaps devastating to see your dad in such a fragile state talking about should anything happen to him, especially as a young boy. it's sad that his dad can't do things with his son that other do, like bonding through sports or any activity. it must be hard on his dad as well. this was a poignant chapter. can't wait to read the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Allen, your written words are so poignant, I can feel your uneasiness as a young child and the bewilderment upon hearing these words from your father. This is a very touching story and I feel honored that you are sharing your life with us. Looking forward to the next chapter. Maybe it's my own hormones but this writing brought me to tears. And that's what a good writer is able to accomplish. My friend you do it every time.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I should have started this story from chapter one, it put's a whole new meaning on the other chapters, not to worry, I will continue this way now. You describe the feelings in this very well, and like any good writer you leave it hanging on a mystery that keeps the reader interested. Thankyou.

Posted 12 Years Ago


When we learn we may be alone without a parent. A hard thing to grasp. Thank you for the story of life. A excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
Fear is just your feelings asking for a hug....(I like that)

Oh gosh, this made me tear...Im kind of scared of what the next chapter my have in store on this matter.

I can only imagine being given something as a prayer shawl that has been handed down from generation to generation. That would be such a Spititualy sentimental feeling.

This just makes me want to give Allen that little boy a hug

Well you have us all waiting for the next...lol





Posted 12 Years Ago


I hardly know how to react to this. I feel a dark, foreboding cloud gathering on the horizon, so I will draw my Mac a bit nearer, and patiently await the storm...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Enjoyed reading this text,I`m not too sure what a Tallis is,but I`ll look it up,Anyway,well written,I`ll look at the next chapter when it comes out.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

544 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 14, 2012
Last Updated on January 14, 2012


Author

Allen Smuckler
Allen Smuckler

Sarasota, FL



About
I'm a poet, a singer, a peaceful gunslinger.. looking to share my poetry..and a little bit of me...if I dare I 've been writing since I was 18.... am slightly older now, and still trying to fin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..