2

2

A Chapter by Alone In A Crowd
"

This is the second chapter in my new book 'Papers', continuing to follow Fay and others in times of struggle.

"
Stepping into the hustling world of selling and persuading nobody noticed Monsieur. Parfait accompanied by Fay enter, until some passing shop girls holding pieces of manikins passed them and hastily sped off to tell their friends. Soon enough there were plenty of whispers gaining pace and volume as Fay said goodbye, thank you and a final apology to Henri. Just as Mr. Donoghue bounced across the floor to greet his friend, Henri had taken it upon himself to account for her whereabouts, which she accepted greatly with a ‘thank you’ smile aimed towards him.                       Smiling a schoolgirl smile at the ground Fay gave a slight half giggle under her breath, stalking across to the accessories counter, where Miss. Carter was delicately placing and adjusting perfume bottles of slender curves with material puffers. Fay is still under observation- under Miss. Carter’s watch, leading up to her final judgment for her employment.                                        “Sorry Miss. Carter.”  Fay guiltily said, nervous about how much trouble she was about to get into.                                   “It’s quite okay, I understand. I overheard Monsieur. Parfait talking to Mr. Donoghue. Adaline I need you to carry these silk scarves over to the shelves and ask Beatrice to dress the manikins with the proper, matching silver jewellery- not the ivory bangles.” Miss. Carter rushed; she was completely swept off her feet and tried to dance several moves at once to get the accessories department on its feet after a late opening for this section that morning due to the issues with various disagreements with Mr. Beale-head of fashion, about how the manikins were apparently dressed incorrectly and were positioned leaning slightly one way or the other. Miss. Carter and Mr. Beale always seem at odds with each other, trying to outdo one another- which is quite a difficult and tense thing to watch as often they are forced to word alongside each other for store designs.                               There are 3 other girls (besides Fay) working on the accessories counter.  Beatrice, a curvy outgoing and loud spoken voluptuous blonde, Karen, a rigid and etched faced slightly older lady, and Penelope, a bubbly angelic deep blonde with the most piercing green eyes; the youngest of all the girls on this counter.                                               All 3 were chattering and gossiping while adjusting manikins and umbrella organisations, welcoming the opportunity to talk about subject matters that would usually get dismissed, before they’re even spoken aloud by Miss. Carter. Fay, on the other hand wasn’t so tuned in to their conversation- not really seeing the appeal of mindless talking that occupies their time, but doesn’t have any meaning. She was still enraptured in the events of the early morning hours even before she entered the store. And although she usually despises ideas and notions that have no purpose, she couldn’t help but get lost in a daydream. Thinking about how Henri had helped her and not used his authority to crush Fay, not only after she were late, but even after she’d basically assaulted him.                                            Young men and older workers alike were bustling around after Mr Cronin like flies, all wanting to know the answers to the same questions, all starting with ‘ When war is declared...’ Understandably they wish to know if the store will support them and if they still have a job when they come back, but the fact that they are all so prepared to go sits uneasy with Fay. She sees all of these men ready to go and fight for their country and although she admires them greatly for their courage she does not understand how they can be so adamant that they’ll return. Yet not just this; she seems to be the only woman around who has a hint of uncertainty as to whether all of the men will come back. The older men prepared to fight are very proud- to- be �" British gentleman who believe it’s their duty for Queen and country to go. Whereas you can see that this reason has not been fully passed on down to the younger men; they’re going because they can see opportunity- the chance to travel and see more of the world, to experience new cultures- new types of women too, and then come back at Christmas for their present of a new fiancé also intrigued them.                                  “Gentlemen please, I know that you all wish to know these answers now, but I can assure you that you will receive the information tomorrow after the store has closed when Mr. Donoghue and myself will be holding a meeting for you, and the rest of the employees to discuss matters further. So if you will, just hold off on your eagerness for now and return to your duties. And please do not worry,” declared Mr. Cronin.  The men began disbanding back to their work, scattering in different directions from the shop floor.  


© 2014 Alone In A Crowd


Author's Note

Alone In A Crowd
This is the second chapter in 'Papers' and is my first book. Thank you for reading and taking time for my work. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on June 4, 2014
Last Updated on June 4, 2014
Tags: War, London, Love, Danger, Change, New


Author

Alone In A Crowd
Alone In A Crowd

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm 15 and live in the United Kingdom. I started writing after my English teacher began helping me cope with the things I'm going through. I definately prefer poems and trying to add meaning to th.. more..

Writing