3

3

A Chapter by Alone In A Crowd
"

The third chapter in the book 'Papers'.

"

Baby blue or lilac handkerchiefs next to the white gloves? Fay decided as she wiped down the glass surface of the accessories counter while she didn’t have a customer. Listening in slightly to Karen’s conversation with one of her customers over purchasing a gold chain necklace, Fay learned that:                                     “The Prime Minister himself is arriving in Germany today, even after pressuring talk from his advisers not to go! Looks like he’s attempting a last bid chance to calm things down” spoke the lady.                “Yes, I heard earlier. Of course it won’t work, but bless his heart for trying. He’s a good man, yet right now Britain is preparing for a war, not a peace treaty” replied Karen.                                  “I mean he doesn’t even understand…” Fay had stopped listening. She felt sorry for the Prime Minister for trying to resist war; because he does understand what will happen when war is declared. He’s a man who’s seen the front line more than once, seen the horrors that these young men have not.                                                                             Standing up from the storage draws hidden in the counters Fay was surprised to see Miss. Carter standing over her, thus jumping slightly. Still looking urgent and rushed off her feet (but no more than usual) Miss. Carter said                              “Adaline, Monsieur. Parfait is wanting to see you in his office in 10 minutes, please finish stocking the cupboards and then go up.”                                                             “Yes Miss. Carter” replied Fay.                                                   “So what’s all that about?” Beatrice curiously asked, walking over, quickly followed by Penelope.                                        “I’m not sure” truthfully  told   Fay.                                                                    “Oh come on you must know, I mean we saw come through the doors together this morning” chirped Karen, finishing with her customer promptly wanting to be part of this new conversation.                                                 “No, I really don’t. Miss. Carter completely shocked me”                                          Penelope cut her off with “Yeah we saw you two and we even heard him vouch for you to Mr. Donoghue                                             By this time Fay was, for a second time that morning changing from a person to a cherry tomato and so continued with stocking silver earrings into little cases, trying to hide her rosy face.                             “I’m sorry, but I’m afraid that I have to be leaving now, but I’ll be back later and defiantly tell you more” Fay hurriedly said, desperately wanting to get away from them. Those 3 were just like every other girl out there- nosey and talkative and usually easy to get along with, even if their and Fay’s personalities didn’t really match up very well. Although sometimes even a little bit of the girls was too much.                                                              Realising that she had left the shop floor a few minutes less than 10 to escape, Fay walked slowly up the stairs instead of taking the elevator to waste time. As she reached the fifth and final floor of the store Fay began quietly walking down a carpeted corridor. With deep wooden bannisters and creamy coloured painted walls going from half way up to the ceiling, making a nice contrast to the gold painted frames lining the walls. Intermittingly placed along between the artwork was gas lit lights to illuminate the passage: there were no windows directly allowing light to flood in.  Allowing her mind to follow the doors on either side of her she was passing, Fay was thinking about who’s office was who’s; only some had names on. Again all of these doors were dark and wooden, except with shiny golden coloured door handles pointing out towards the centre of the corridor. She passed several doors announcing names- ‘Mr. Cronin’, ‘Mr. Waters’, ‘Miss.  Blunt’ etc. Nearing the end of the corridor Fay came across a little opening where at a desk sat Mr. Donoghues personal assistant, Miss. Blackham. Her glasses at the end of her nose scanning over papers Miss. Blackham looked up towards Fay; she had short curly brunette hair which suited her well, pretty and dainty Mr. Donohue’s assistant brought a bit of her own light into the dark corridor.                                                      “Ah, you must be Adaline” she said in a soft voice.                                     “Yes Miss” confirmed Fay.                           “Monsieur. Parfait’s office is just down there” she pointed to her right “It’s the one on the left, right before Mr. Donoghue’s office at the very end the corridor”                                          “Thank you” Fay continued on her way, the end of the corridor fast approaching.                  As she reached the correct door with Monsieur. Parfait’s name on after what felt like a life time Fay hesitated before she knocked, nervous and unsure whether or not Miss. Carter had told the correct person. Forcing herself to be brave Fay knocked 3 times on the large, heavy looking door. For a while there was no reply. As she was about to knock again he replied with a “come in.”                                She pushed down on the door handle and entered the room. Taken aback by the sudden bright light that her low light adjusted eyes were subjected to. The windows along two sides of the room let in so much light and flooded over art equipment and sketches across the room. Sitting on a stool working at an artist’s easel was Henri.                                     “You wanted to see me Sir?” said Fay, still disillusioned and trying to take everything in.                                                              “Yes Adaline, if you remember you had promised to help me with my window.”                           A little confused Adaline turned to face Henri with an inquiring expression on her face.                                 “Excuse me Sir?” she admitted.                                  “This morning you agreed to help me with my Forget Me Not window”                                     Suddenly realising what he had asked of her earlier that day before they had entered the department store Fay snapped back to comprehending.                                   “Yes, I’m sorry I completely forgot Sir.” Said Fay apologetically.                                   “Well, now that you remember, would you still consider helping me Adaline?”

 

 



© 2014 Alone In A Crowd


Author's Note

Alone In A Crowd
Thank you for reading and reviewing. All comments are greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on June 5, 2014
Last Updated on June 5, 2014


Author

Alone In A Crowd
Alone In A Crowd

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm 15 and live in the United Kingdom. I started writing after my English teacher began helping me cope with the things I'm going through. I definately prefer poems and trying to add meaning to th.. more..

Writing