4

4

A Chapter by Alone In A Crowd
"

The 4th chapter to the book' Paper's'. I know that these starting chapters haven't yet got into more depth with war related issues, but they are coming up pretty soon.

"

Entering Donoghues promptly before the opening of the store Fay received note from Miss. Carter that her work starting from then was no longer on the shop floor, but was helping Monsieur. Parfait wherever she is needed.  So, after saying good morning to the other accessories floor girls Fay began up the flights of stairs- even though the elevator was available. Wanting to be more a part of the atmosphere, instead closed off from it in a box. Once again Fay found herself going down the long dark, windowless corridor of offices and file storage.                                    “Good morning Miss. Blackham” Fay greeted as she passed by.    “Lovely to see you again Adaline” she smiled back.                 Fay, a lot calmer than yesterday fast approached Monsieur. Parfait’s office with eagerness and intrigue. And without thinking, knocked on the door.                                                “Come in” said a husky French voice.                                          Already turning the door handle she walked in; suddenly nervous and tentative about what to do next, Fay was glad that he spoke first.                                      “Good morning Adaline” Henri stood up to greet her.                  “Good morning Sir” Fay returned, although she didn’t yet feel comfortable enough with Henri to request to be called her preferred name, Fay defiantly felt a little more at ease with him compared to other men of authority at the store.                         “So are you ready to get to work?” slight urgency in Henri’s voice.                          “Of course Sir” Henri leading her across to a large bulky deep ebony desk towards the back of the room which was covered in papers. Strewn across out of place were drawings of various different things, Fay noticing some recent window designs mixed in along with notes and letters- some in French, most in English.                               He pointed out a series of colourful designs of forget me not flowers tied with ribbon at the bottom of the stems, thoughtfully coloured with greens, contrasting with the violet shades of the petals. Fay looked at them for a long time, admiring them, until she noticed Henri was looking at her.                “So?” Henri drawing out the word.                                               “They’re amazing Sir”                                    “But don’t you think it needs something else? These are just drawings of the flowers; I need your help for the design of the window; a little Je ne sais quoi? ” Still a softness to his voice.         “But Sir, what were you thinking of?” asked Fay.                                                        “Something that will appeal to you Adaline, you’re a very innocent next-door kind of girl. I need your help to persuade young ladies like you to be interested in the product.”                       Nodding Fay said “Okay, so what is the product?”          “There are numerous products- all based around the theme of Forget Me Not’s: Parasols, journals, gloves, hair accessories, and more. The window should display quite a few of these.” Henri explained as he adjusted other sheets on his desk looking slightly confused at the wads of paper staring back at him.                                        “How about a triangular shape display with the larger items at the bottom working up to smaller items on top like the hair accessories?...” the words not really directed at Henri, but just thinking’s aloud.                                                            “Adaline, a window should not just be about how you structure the items; it should be more about the story you tell with those items and the meaning you’re trying to get across to the most people as possible. You’re trying to share something with them, to persuade them that with these items they too will be a part of the story       and will feel sure that their purchases will take them on a similar journey…” Henri’s voice gently becoming quieter at the end of his words. Fay couldn’t help, but be drawn into his words, of such passion and emotion.                        “I understand Sir, so it’s like a film or play, even a song? You have to portray a story that others will want to see themselves playing in the leading role.”                                  “Exactly.” Fay could hear the sound of his smile in Henri’s response.                                           



© 2014 Alone In A Crowd


Author's Note

Alone In A Crowd
Thank you for taking time to read and review my work, as always all reviews are appreciated, thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on June 7, 2014
Last Updated on June 7, 2014
Tags: London, love, French, flowers, art


Author

Alone In A Crowd
Alone In A Crowd

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm 15 and live in the United Kingdom. I started writing after my English teacher began helping me cope with the things I'm going through. I definately prefer poems and trying to add meaning to th.. more..

Writing