5

5

A Chapter by Alone In A Crowd
"

The fifth chapter in the book 'Papers'

"
Fay and Henri worked the whole day on designs and layouts, different positioning of notebooks and whether or not to include manikins wearing the gloves and carrying parasols or not; even working through lunch and breaks because you can’t just stop creativity. After working later than usual hours they gently stepped down the corridor leading back towards the steps and elevator. Glad that Henri followed Fay’s lead; leaning towards the left going towards the stairs rather than the elevator they continued to discuss aspects of the window and why the theme was forget me nots in    the first place, Henri’s voice a soft French accent.         “It’s because Mr. Donoghue wanted something new for spring- yes I know that spring is still a couple of months away yet, but hopefully the idea will not only make people want to by the products because of their bright coloured attraction, but make them feel happy and excited for a new time of year. Everything is changing at the moment, what with the war too…” his voice trails off. It’s not a women’s place to talk about war. Men shouldn’t be worrying them with details of something so frightening.                                                Fully understanding what Henri means Fay tries to add to the conversation. “I hear that it’s going to break any time now. People are getting prepared and have been doing so for weeks now.”                                                    Shocked that Fay isn’t visibly as panicked about the war as he has seen many women, he is prepared to carry on the conversation, but he won’t get the chance. Quickly coming to the end of the final flight of stairs they realise that the meeting discussing war concerns is being held tonight- something they both had forgotten.                      Apologising as Mr. Cronin and the male workers of the shop turned to face them, Fay and Henri slipped past the men at the front. Henri was going to and was expected to stay and listen. Fay on the other hand was expected to leave- this was no place for a woman to listen to politics. Although Fay was intrigued and wanted to know more about what would be happening. Not only happening to the shop workers when they come home from fighting, but to the shop itself when there’s a shortage of men. In most places women can be found to replace the men- like on the shop floor at the counters, but what will happen in the restaurant and loading bays?                                             Knowing that she should leave, Fay headed for the door, turning once more as she pushed it open to look at what was happening and she noticed all of the men’s focus was on Mr. Cronin.           Letting go of the door and quickly darting behind a pillar; Fay had made a decision. The door made the loud noise she’d expected, turning a few heads, yet by this time Fay was fully concealed by the pillar, not too far from the discussion.                                                    Straining her ears she could make out most of what Mr. Cronin was saying. It sounds like she hasn’t actually missed too much of what he has to say. Something about Of course I understand that you all feel obligated to stand up and do your part for your country… You have a right to do… The store... No need to worry… Jobs will still be…                       Fay could hear the men on the shop floor asking questions. “So, can you promise that whoever replaces us will be laid off when we get back?” Yes of course your jobs will still be available to you, even though I can’t assure you that all of the new staff will be dismissed” Mr. Cronin informs the men as they nod their heads, eyes fixed on him. “Will the male senior staff be signing up too?” hollered a young man called Gus in a dark overcoat and scuffed black shoes from working in the loading department. And Mr. Cronin answered, but not loud enough for Fay to clearly hear.                                                                                             After listening in for a good 20 minutes Fay leaned back from stretching her neck around the pillar, pain stinging in her spine from holding the position for too long. While doing so she caught Jeremy’s eye. Jeremy is a middle aged waiter in the restaurant and has very strict views about a woman’s place; not a nice man to be around, professionally or socially. Because of his lack of friends at the store Jeremy was standing on the edge of the army of men, next to a small man in a tight grey suit, looking taught and tense with the talk of war; and Henri Parfait on his right, after Henri arrived late he had to tag along on the end and attempt to diminish anymore interruptions. Noticing Jeremy’s line of gaze Henri followed it. Realising Jeremy was opening his mouth and beginning to raise his hand Henri gently pushed his arm back down and leaned down to whisper to Jeremy; Henri also aware of Jeremy’s views on political awareness to women, as well as his arrogance. Fay watched without breathing out as Jeremy’s rigid face begin to soften slightly, but still dangerously sharp as  Henri continued to whisper. She couldn’t make out what he was saying, but she knew this was her time to get out of view of Jeremy and the other men; because Henri looked up and made eye contact with her- silently informing her. Fay didn’t know if he was telling her to leave or was disappointed in her, or was even just deciding whether to tell Mr. Cronin now or later; but she decided she had to leave.                                                Fay crouched down behind some of the glass topped counters of the perfume department, no longer able to hear what Mr. Cronin was saying, and began to scurry towards another exit door besides the main circular glass ones. On approach to the side door Fay realised that there was an open space of around 8 metres she had to dash across without being seen. 3 deep breaths later and a gentle push of the oak door she’d escaped. Her shoes in her hand, that kept her steps as quiet as possible and some lose strands of hair flattened down to her forehead with beads of sweat Fay started calming down and thinking straighter.                                      Being found eavesdropping on a fully male aimed discussion as well as not even being a complete employee of the store yet until after the end of this week, after her interviews had been finished up will surely get her dismissed before she’s even properly started. Creeping around like a thief without importance, listening to what’s going to happen when war breaks makes Fay feel like she’s just blown it. This was her chance to prove that she could be more than what was expected of her, but because of her intrigue and curiosity she’s not going to have a chance. If one person saw her, who else did too?                                             There’s a sharp chill in the late night air as Fay ties the laces of her shoes and heads down the street; with her face looking in front of her, not even stopping to look at the window displays lining the perimeter of the store as she usually does.                                    


© 2014 Alone In A Crowd


Author's Note

Alone In A Crowd
Thank you for reading and reviewing, all comments are greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on June 13, 2014
Last Updated on June 13, 2014
Tags: War, London, Love, Danger, Change, New, Secrets, Women, Politics


Author

Alone In A Crowd
Alone In A Crowd

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm 15 and live in the United Kingdom. I started writing after my English teacher began helping me cope with the things I'm going through. I definately prefer poems and trying to add meaning to th.. more..

Writing