Habitual Marriage, Marriage Habits

Habitual Marriage, Marriage Habits

A Story by Amata Luna
"

The Common Secrets behind Wedding Traditions

"

Really you would be surprised to know that there are some things about being married that you do without really knowing what they mean to you or why you are supposed to be doing them. With a little curiosity, enough time and patience, I have come up with facts that you won’t really imagine doing so or find amusing to do by the time they had been established as a general custom. But then, you might as well want to know the origins of some commendable deeds of being in the “wheel of marriage’s fortune”

 

  1. The word wedding comes from the Anglo-Saxon word “wed” which means “a man’s vow to marry a certain woman”
  2. During the time of chivalry, the best man was really intended to kidnap the bride and fight together with the groom for possible contenders who tries to challenge him for his beloved. Meanwhile, the maid of honor attends to the kidnapped bride’s needs until the contention was finished.
  3. Unlike the usual custom of bouquet catching, a maiden who does her honor of attending to the bride needs will be the fortunate one to marry next.
  4. In medieval times, the bride is always placed on the left side of the groom where she can be protected from possible trouble makers. This is done so the groom can freely hold a sword with his right hand while his left encircles the waist of his wife to offer her assurance. The custom has been followed ever since, forever placing a man at a woman’s left side, minus the sword to contend, of course!
  5. The term honeymoon was derived from the two root words “honey” and “moon”. It refers to the groom who kidnaps his “honey” and brings her to the “moon” or even farther that she would shortly be pregnant and be claimed as rightfully his.
  6. Wearing a white gown on your wedding day does not signify virginity or purity. All over the world, colored bridal gowns were used and white was just made to be in the15th century by Anne of Brittany and Queen Victoria of the Victorian Period. They both chose to wear a white gown instead of silver (for brides of the royal family wears their gown of such color) to express their joy of being married.  Blue gowns were usually worn by commoners of that time to depict purity while royal families wear silver to show off their prosperity and rareness.
  7. During the 15th century in Ancient Rome, May, which was the month of the feast of the dead and the festival for the goddess of chastity, was also the only month when the “annual bath” occurs for all the people. By this reason, the peoples grabs the opportunity to bathe thoroughly for just once in a year. Since the population still smells fresh during the time of June, it was decided to uphold special occasions like that of wedding. Until then, June is pronounced to be “the wedding month”.
  8. Instead of the white gown, the veil is truly the one embodying purity. Traditionally, the veil was believed to ward off evil sprits that bade her ill. When the veil was then introduced by the 19th century, it became the symbol of modesty and discipline.
  9. Although there are some country customs that places the wedding ring on either the left or the right ring finger, it was still undecided as to why the ring finger is the place where a ring should be. Anyhow, it was given to have three (3) main reasons:

From Palmistry, it was said that each finger represent a Greek god except the thumb. The ring finger was named after Apollo, who personifies creativity, grace, and compassion.


From Catholicism, the first three fingers represent the Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Since the first accessible finger is the fourth finger, the ring is placed there to unite it with the Holy Trinity and with the Creator.


It also comes to that from Ancient Egypt that a vein runs directly from the heart to the ring finger. For the reason that the “vein of love” runs through the ring finger, the ring was placed there to eternally bond the love of two persons who pledged with one another until death have broken their vows.

 

 10. Even though kissing is not an unusual thing done especially by intimate couples, sharing a kiss on your wedding ceremonies emblem the perpetual bonding and joining of the couple’s souls. This custom ventured out from the Roman Empire sealing life-long commitment to its participants. The very reason why a kiss is done lastly in a ceremonial wedding is to conclude eternal affinity as man and wife.

 

© 2012 Amata Luna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

fun facts!! love the article!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

671 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 7, 2012
Last Updated on January 8, 2012
Tags: marriage, habits, life, love

Author

Amata Luna
Amata Luna

About
I write when something brings me to it. I write when somebody pushes me into it. I write when things are sad and when things are not. I write when I'm inspired. To inspire, I write. To share is to wri.. more..

Writing
promise promise

A Poem by Amata Luna