Hard Candy

Hard Candy

A Chapter by Amber Tasch
"

i really hope that no one is getting bored!!

"

     

Chapter four: Hard candy

  "I do wish that we didn't need to go to war." Said a female villager to another. She did so loudly because the princess was walking the streets that day. "Our men are gone and we will soon die of starvation! We do not know how to plow fields and we cannot harvest as fast and as much as the men could!"

       Buttercup nearly ignored them. Her new advisor, a small wafer cookie, was trying to tell her something but her mind was in another place. If she could get no peace in her sleep, they she would try dreaming while she was awake. She imagined that the air was no longer as thick and hot was cocoa, and the fields were bare from the harvest. The people were happy, her old advisor was sitting in the sun, and she was no longer seeing the Land of Candy as a gray, dismal place to live.

       She was so caught up in her day dream that she did not look where she was going and walked right into Todd Trend.

      "I'm so sorry. “she said as she fixed her purple dress. "I really am sorry sir."

      "Well if it isn't the princess." Todd said in a heated, drunken voice. "Come to wage a war on me? Or have you come to mock me further?"

       Buttercup was taken back for a moment. "Mock you? How so dear man?"

       "You let that horrid Forest join your guard!" He said forest like it was a filthy word. "Am I not a man? Am I not the best fighter in the land? Well princess why am I not in there training?"

        "Because you fool, you are a drunk who is incapable of following orders and would merely pick loosing fights with the other soldiers because you think so highly of yourself!" She said all this in one breath and had to take a moment to bring more air into her lungs. She continued more calmly. "Sir you do not fit our qualifications. Good day."

     "You lousy fool!" He screamed at her. "You and I are alike then! You are only waging war on the Land of Sweets so that you can protect your own image! You cannot win this war and you know that, just like I knew I couldn’t beat William! You and me would rather die trying though than be beaten!!"

     She merely turned and walked away, letting his words sink in. Behind her she could her his voice scream at passers by telling them to beware the princess, but no one listened to the drunk. Buttercup liked it that way. Though she hated it, he was right. She was however glad that Todd was a drunk and no one would listen to him. She still had a chance to win this war, that much she was sure of.

     Once back at the palace she had her maids make her a dress for her advisors funeral.

     "The color of dark chocolate. Something to complement my buttercream colored skin." She told them. She wanted to look her best for her dear friend. While she waited she went to oversee the soldier training. From all the people there she could not pick out which one was William. They were training extremely hard and a few were even sent to the freezer. They had begun to melt from the heat and extensive training.

        Buttercup was surprised that she felt no pity for them. All that she cared about was winning at that moment. She suddenly cast her thoughts off somewhere else. She didn't want to think such horrible things, not after what Todd had said. "Well," she said aloud to herself, "how credible can he be? After all, he was drunker than chocolate with champagne." So she went to her chamber and thought out battle plans a little more. She had to give her general these plans in an hour and they had to be fool proof.

      First her watchmen would alert of the enemies approach. From there the villagers would go into the castle foyer and the archers would stand on the wall and take out the first line. Then the Calvary would swoop in and pick off the remainders. Then would come the swords men who would hide around the corners of the village in order to have the element of surprise. It was ingenious.

     Now she only had to pull it off, campaign a little, and win back the trust of her people. Maybe she would even win some territory after the war. That would be a treat. All she had to do was win.

    "Ma'am, are you finished with the war plans yet?" The general asked as he came in.

    "Yes I am." Buttercup said somberly as she handed over the final drafts. "Sir may I ask if you know a soldier by the name of William Forest?"

    "Nope, never heard of him."

 



© 2011 Amber Tasch


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm rather starting to enjoy this story. I didn't think I would like it, but I actually am liking the plot and the characters seem real in a fake way, if you get what im saying haha

Posted 12 Years Ago


Truly magnificent. I like how Buttercup knows sh'es doing the wrong thing, but doesn't seem to know how to stop. I honestly do love the storyline and it is very interesting. Can't wait to read more :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Another fine addition to a thoroughly captivating piece of literature. I have to applaud your creativity and ability to weave an engrossing tale. I'm glad you mentioned there being a freezer. I was getting worried about the soldiers melting in the sun and all that. Seems like a perfectly logical addition to a world I only wish I could have dreamed up first. Fabulous chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 20, 2011
Last Updated on July 23, 2011
Tags: Land, of, candy, death, princess, sweets, book, hard, liccourice


Author

Amber Tasch
Amber Tasch

Not in one!, RI



About
i would rather draw but my friends wanted me to get one of these look me up at [email protected] more..

Writing
CxR CxR

A Story by Amber Tasch