Lover's Loss

Lover's Loss

A Story by AmeliaMae

            Amelia lent against the railing of her balcony, the sun burned through her white dress. Her shoes and suffocating corset were long gone.

            Her mother and father were finally out inspecting the troops, leaving her alone with her thoughts. Late afternoon was the only time that Amelia was able to go outside. A group of thieves known as The Dragons were out for revenge after their leader was killed by the King’s guards and everyone was worried for her safety.

            Shouts from the garden interrupted her peace. As she searched for the source, a man stumbled out from behind a patch of rose bushes. He cradled his hand, struggling with a limp as he walked towards the castle.

            Concerned, Amelia raced for the stairs. She beat him to the door, horrorstruck to learn it was Elijah.

            “What happened? Why are you bleeding? Come inside, hurry. We need to stop the bleeding-oh, goodness. I don’t know how to stop it-can you use this?”

            She pulled a white ribbon-her favorite ribbon-from her hair, her auburn curls tumbling past her shoulders. Gently, she wrapped the large gash. He winced, but did not complain.

            “And you’re leg?” she worried.

            “It’s nothing.”

            “Where might bandages be?” she asked. “I have never had to look for them, therefore…”

            Most of the servants and maids would have smirked and replied as though she were still a child. Elijah was different. He only smiled gently and suggested the kitchen. Blushing, she started towards the kitchen.

            Amelia asked him to sit on a chair while she rummaged through a cabinet he had pointed out. She found an antibiotic, a long bandage, and a washrag that she ran under hot water. Turning back to him, she perched on a nearby stool and hesitantly pulled the ribbon off of his hand. The blood unnerved her, but she tried not to show it.

            “You shouldn’t have used your ribbon, M’Lady-I know that it is your favorite.”

            “Amelia. Call me Amelia,” she smiled. “I can always get another ribbon, Elijah, but you’re irreplaceable.”

            She froze, her hand inches from the cloth, wishing she could take back the embarrassing words. Pulling herself together, she took the cloth and began to clean the wound. It was surprisingly deep.

            “What happened?”

            “I fell from the ladder.”

            Her breath caught in her throat momentarily-the idea frightening her.

            With the blood gone, she carefully wiped it dry and applied the antibiotic and then began to wrap the bandage around his hand. Every time he flinched, it issued a string of apologies.

            He would softly assure her that he was alright. After a while, though, she wasn’t so sure.

            Softly, he placed his hand over hers, but his smile was warm. Slowly, hesitantly, she twined their fingers together. She knew she shouldn’t, but she wanted so badly to know what it felt like to hold his hand.

            “Amelia,” he whispered.

            Suddenly, his lips met hers. Her heart stopped and then raced forward as she returned his kiss. Her head screamed at her to stop. She knew that this was wrong, that it would never amount to anything because it would never be allowed. Her parents would forbid it. But she ignored the doubt because at that moment, her dream was coming true.

            When they broke away to breathe, he placed his forehead against hers, the sadness that was constant gone from his eyes.

            “Elijah,” she smiled.

            “Amelia-”

            “How touching: The bandit, in love with the princess.”

            Elijah and Amelia pulled apart quickly. Standing in front of them was the gardener Cyrus.

            “Oh, please! Don’t let me interrupt.”

            Cyrus was normally kind. He always gave her a flower from the garden if she was passing through. There was a gleam in his eyes that she neither understood nor liked.

            She turned to Elijah, “What’s going on?”

            “It’s nothing; just a misunderstanding, right, Cyrus?”

            Cyrus laughed. “Oh, yes, of course. Now, Amelia-”

            “M’Lady to you,” Amelia snapped.

            “Oh I am sorry, M’Lady,” he bowed mockingly.

            Amelia stood up, furious. She had never been treated this way and she wasn’t going to stand for it. She turned to walk away when he grabbed her arm, forcing her back to the table.

            “Now, Princess, you aren’t going anywhere.”

            The next moment he was flying through the air, hitting the cabinets with a crash. Elijah stood in front of her. Cyrus got up angrily, his face red. He pulled a knife that was glistening with fresh blood. It all became clear: Elijah never fell from the ladder.

            “Now, now, Elijah, step out of the way.”

            Elijah didn’t budge. “Drop the knife.”

            Cyrus laughed and shook his head.

            “Now, Cyrus.”

            “Hmmm…not the magic words…”

            “That’s an order, Cyrus!”

            Cyrus swung the blade around, winking at Amelia.

            “Not quite what I want to hear.”

            “Damn it, Cyrus. I am in charge: listen to me!”

            Cyrus laughed hysterically. Elijah turned to Amelia, terrified, as she backed away from him.

            “In charge of what?” she whispered.

            “The Dragons,” Cyrus laughed.

            Amelia’s eyes widened. “The band of thieves that has attacked my family for years…” She turned to Elijah. “No…no! You can’t be…but you are. You’ve lied to me. You made me trust you. You made me fall in-” she shook her head, tears pouring from her eyes. “And you’re one of them…you are their leader!”

            “Amelia-” he pleaded

            “What is it you want?” she demanded angrily, backing away from him.

            Elijah took a deep breath. “The plan was to kidnap you and hold you for ransom.”

            “Was?”

            “Elijah here protested and he ordered us to forget the plan, threatening anyone who disobeyed. That’s how he got that.”

            Cyrus pointed to Elijah’s hand with his knife. Amelia stood frightened.

            “And now, Princess, it’s time to come with me.”

            Elijah pushed her towards the door.

            “Run Amelia, please! Get as far away from here as you possibly can. Call the guards, do something, but get out of here!”

            She nodded coldly.

            “Amelia, I’m so sorry.”

            Before she had time to respond, Cyrus grabbed her and threw her against the floor. She fell with a scream. Elijah tried to jump forward to catch her. Instead, he caught a fist to the stomach, knocking the breath out of him. He staggered back a bit, but swung and made contact with Cyrus’s jaw.

            Amelia watched in horror as Cyrus began to make his way towards Elijah with his knife. Elijah jumped at him, tackling him to the floor. They wrestled for a moment before Elijah was kicked against the table. Amelia screamed as the knife plunged into his stomach.

            Elijah fell to the floor, Cyrus grinning as he yanked the knife out. Elijah turned his head slowly, locking eyes with her. His lips moved, but the only word she caught was “love.” She crawled towards him, collapsing at his side.

            “You’ll be okay,” she sobbed. “The doctor will get here soon and they will be able to help you. You’ll be alright. You have to be alright!”

            Elijah shook his head grimly, taking her hand and gripping it hard.

            “Princess,” Cyrus drawled.

            Amelia forced herself from Elijah’s side, shaking as she did. Before she could do anything, guards poured into the room, confused by the scene, but ready to protect their princess.”

            “Cyrus Thach, you are under arrest for attempted murder and kidnapping.” Amelia tried to sound strong, firm, royal, but her voice gave away her fright.

            Cyrus only laughed. Pulling his arm back, he aimed at Elijah but hit Amelia instead. Her eyes widened and she clutched at the knife. Elijah screamed as she fell to her knees, falling next to him.

            Elijah pulled her into his arms, ignoring the pain ripping through his body. He sobbed, his tears mingled with hers, running down his face like rain.

            “Why would you do something like that? Why would you do that?”

            Amelia smiled faintly, “because I love you.”

            Elijah shook his head. “I love you, too. Oh, Amelia!”

            He bent his head down, brushing his lips against hers.

           

By the time the King and Queen reached the kitchen, Cyrus was captured and shackled, and the two lovers were long dead. Elijah lay against the center counter, Amelia in his arms, her head cradled to his chest.

            The Queen fainted and the King demanded an immediate execution of Cyrus, no trial, no formality.

            Amelia was to be buried with the rest of the royal family and, by demand of the Queen, Elijah next to her. No one knew just how much love was lost on the lovers’ last day.

 

© 2012 AmeliaMae


Author's Note

AmeliaMae
Constructive Criticism Please and Thank You!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Cat
Ooh, this was lovely to read! Reminds me a lot of Romeo and Juliet...very sad yet beautiful. You should definitely consider making it into a chapter story. I feel like you could make the reader fall in love with Elijah the same with Amelia did, then have us all feel the surprise and betrayal she experiences when she learns the truth. Tragic endings are sometimes the most powerful, and it certainly was here. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
1 Review
Added on May 4, 2012
Last Updated on May 30, 2012

Author

AmeliaMae
AmeliaMae

Chattanooga, TN



About
Salvete!! I have decided to reopen my account! It may take me a bit to get some stuff up, but be on the look out! About me: My name is AmeliaMae. You may call me Amelia, Mae, or AmeliaMae.... more..

Writing
Shadow Shadow

A Story by AmeliaMae