Shadow

Shadow

A Story by AmeliaMae

            The room bustled with flowing gowns and gentle music. Unimportant chatter passed through the room. Those who danced held tightly their beloved. He was almost jealous of them.

            Sure, he could dance with any of the eligible maidens there. No one had turned him down before, nor would they. But it wasn’t the same for him. None of the girls held his interest long enough for him to even consider marriage. The thought made him bitter at the dancing couples.

            Then he saw her. She was floating through the crowd. No one seemed to notice the stranger but him. It was as if she wasn’t really there. But he saw every detail as if he were standing before her:

            Her black dress clung to her small waist and her perfect bosom, flowing gently about her legs. Her dark hair pulled tight against her head. Only a few short locks hid her petite forehead, brushing against her smooth brow. She seemed at ease.

            He stared, forgetting not only his manners but all those around him. When he caught her eyes, he was instantly trapped. Deep blue lined with a bold black pierced him. Her eyes became a sea of emotions: shy yet daring, inviting yet forbidding, soft yet dangerous. He was frozen, unsure of how to proceed.

            A black fan embroidered with a golden design hid all but those never ending eyes. The darkness of it turned her already porcelain skin even paler. She was the perfect image of pure tragedy. But he didn’t think of that, he didn’t notice. If he hadn’t already fallen in love with her, he did at that moment. This was her, the girl he would marry.

            Moving towards her, he was hesitant, but when she did not move, he became bolder. When he was only a few strides away, she turned and disappeared. He stood, stunned.

            The music sounded in his ears once more, soon followed by the chatter. The guests watched him as his heart broke, unsure of how to react. The arm of their beloved prince was outstretched as though he could grab hold of the shadow the girl had left behind. 

© 2012 AmeliaMae


Author's Note

AmeliaMae
This has not yet been edited, so constructive critiques are greatly appreciated!!! :D Also, look at the picture. It is the inspiration behind my story. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Cat
Rather ghostly. I like it! At first it seems to be a lot like Cinderella, but you make sure that we don't think of the dainty blonde maiden; instead, you describe a somewhat sinister figure. That's a nice change, and I really like that she mysteriously disappears without any explanation. I want to read more!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Added on May 4, 2012
Last Updated on May 30, 2012

Author

AmeliaMae
AmeliaMae

Chattanooga, TN



About
Salvete!! I have decided to reopen my account! It may take me a bit to get some stuff up, but be on the look out! About me: My name is AmeliaMae. You may call me Amelia, Mae, or AmeliaMae.... more..

Writing
Lover's Loss Lover's Loss

A Story by AmeliaMae