The Calling

The Calling

A Story by Analae
"

This is more of an idea than anything. It was an emotion based on a dream and I went with it. I think everyone at one time in their life struggles for something, and this is based on that struggle.

"
One night while I was jogging, the long last lonely mile, I had to stop for a moment.  The wind whispered silently around me, as I began to feel my skin crawl.  I threw my head back with a quick laugh, heard only by me.  

I took off following the moon and stars above me.  The wind felt so warm, like a love embracing me, helping hold me as I ran.  
Sadly, I knew not the time, just moon and sky above me, crackling leaves and dirt below my feet.  I pushed myself that last breath of the run, my lungs felt like they were going to burst.  I still ran, as if I stopped, my life would end.  To this day I know not what spurred me on, nor do I really care.  

Running water.  I could hear it, almost smell it as I ran.  Rush, hurry to it, my body told my mind.  So I hurried on, long past the point of exhaustion.
So close.  I knew it had to be, even though I could not see it.  Amazing what the world will tell you, when you pause long enough to stop and listen.  I fell, suddenly, exhaustion try to take over.  Still I crawled on knees and hands clawing over the earth like an animal.  So close, I thought.  How did I know?  I don't really think I did, but I had to find out.  
The wind blew harder around me, tossing leaves about me, my hair twisting with them.  Clawing, crawling on my way, I howled furiously, the anger I felt, feeling the wind whip my song around the night as if it was telling the world my furious song of refusal.  I could feel blood, crawling along my palms as still I crawled on, running almost like a mad beast.

Ahead, there it was, the clearing, water.  I spurred myself on, yelling again into the night, this time of my triumph.  Nearer and nearer I clawed, crawling on all fours.  Not even reaching into the water with my hands, I plunged my head in, cold relief almost a painful triumph.
I drunk it in, happy to have finally reached a stopping point.  Slowly, I sat back butt on my feet, starring into the water.  I saw not my own reflection, but that of some mad odd beast in its place.  A beast that had come to terms with survival and had fought a long way to get it.  I screamed, howling in the night, my confusion.

This time it was answered by a call, a call from beyond the clearing.  Exhausted, I called again, listening, inviting, searching all in the one long song.  Lost, it said, lost, tired, frustrated, the call said, though I don't know how.  But still it was answered.  I understand, was the reply.  Rest, I will watch out for you this night, we shall talk in the morning.  
I laughed, head thrown back into my last strengthened call.  Alright, was all it said.  I closed my eyes, laid my head on my hands and slept all alone in the clearing in the woods, my watched close beside me.

© 2010 Analae


Author's Note

Analae
I don't really remember where I got this idea from. If I remember correctly it was a dream. I have a lot of dreams that I like to write about. Hopefully one day I will be able to share them all.

Please tell me what you think. I don't know the reason behind the story, just what my hand put on the paper. When I write its almost like a trance and I won't read it till I'm out of that "trance."

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this is really good! You said you thought this was a dream, and just in the style you wrote, the whole story did feel like a dream, which I thought was particularly cool. Keep up the good work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 12, 2010
Last Updated on January 12, 2010

Author

Analae
Analae

Sumter, SC



About
I love to write. I have a lot of new ideas and have found a few of my ideas to have taken a darker turn. I have moved from doing poetry to doing more along the story lines. I have been updating a l.. more..

Writing
Break Break

A Chapter by Analae


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Analae