"I Don't Do Politics..."

"I Don't Do Politics..."

A Story by Chris
"

Time to stop and smell the roses I think...

"

"I Don't DO Politics..."

 

I think it is time we stop and smell the roses - time to catch a breath, pause, and reflect a bit.  I was asked today - "...there is a lot of noise about the President using an executive order for immigration reform.. may I ask what your thoughts are on this issue..."

 

Now THAT was one heck of a real - question - to ask.

 

My answer is:

 

"It is not his place to make law - that is what dictators do and we call it tyranny.  There are two independent bodies of lawmakers - called Congress - elected by their constituents - that are legally tasked with creating the rules we as a nation (combined) live under.  The president, as per the Constitution, is an elected position meant to be a limiting check on the actions taken by that elected Congress - via Veto or Signed Approvals - only.  Hence the oath of office a President takes.  His is meant as a defense against a dictatorial and unlawful ruling of our country.

 

As far as Immigration issues - hell, ANY issues! - where is it said that ANY one individual has the authority or even the RIGHT to decide for our nation of 300+ MILLION people without any plebiscite whatsoever?  Hell, we don't even believe in one God (as a people) let alone in one man.  So even if he were God someone would disagree and Obama isn't a God ...just an elected official on his last "legal" term of office - with a newly and legally elected Congress that although they don't have a Super-Majority Party will still (likely as not ) not work politically with him.

 

As far as immigration - we have rules already agreed upon - already law.  They are NOT egregious... just being broken because we as a nation HAVE a rule of law that others WANT so desperately to live under.  We have freedoms - being eroded daily, but we still have them.  Other places don't.  Amnesties are not an answer - societal costs are pressuring and distorting how we all live.  The human cost is enormous - and we have to "feel" the emotional turmoil people are under - families and children both.  But, We are one mid-sized country in a somewhat broken world.  We, as a nation, offer a haven from the natural bad order of things others face daily.  I don't have all the solutions - but I am willing to discuss what we CAN do, but NOT DESTROY what we have.  Enforce the laws we legally and lawfully set in place - enforce them fairly and with dignity ...until those laws are changed as WE the people that live under them decide they should be."

 

     I don't know-it-all and am not a puppet nor a parrot.  I was born here, raised here, taught - HERE.  Served in our military.  I vote and believe as I see fit and feel is right.  I'm not mean nor mean-spirited.  I've been around the world - military and as a civilian ...including here within our own 50 states.  We as a nation and as a people have our problems and issues.  WE, as a Nation AND as a People, can and shall resolve them ...fairly and lawfully, while we maintain our own sense of what justice is and should be.  

 

Chris

© 2014 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
comment as you will and feel... be real.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree Chris.
"I've been around the world - military and as a civilian ...including here within our own 50 states. We as a nation and as a people have our problems and issues. WE, as a Nation AND as a People, can and shall resolve them ...fairly and lawfully, while we maintain our own sense of what justice is and should be. "
I saw a lot of bad days and good day. They both will come. We must keep going forward and hope for a good ending. Thank you Chris for your positive words and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris

9 Years Ago

...and thank YOU for your understanding...
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I always enjoy your thoughts. Life is rarely easy.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Unless you are a native American, you ARE an immigrant. I would have never been here had my grandfather not MIGRATED from Ireland. BUT I am a native because my grandmother was Shawnee Indian, which by the way, was "incarcerated" for being a native of this country. Ironic!, I personally love ALL the differences we are that make us ALL the same. How do you "reform" imagination"? Give the melting pot back to the native? Which nationality is deemed undesirable? Invasive? Mine? Yours? Obama's? I find the whole thing ridiculous. And for the record...I have NO Mexican blood, but I LOVE Mexican food AND soul food :) It's all YUM

Posted 8 Years Ago


I just think the President was not qualified to even be elected to office. He had not been in politics long enough. How he ever got elected is beyond me. I do not care what color any President is, I just want some one that has been in other offices learning on his or her way up to the top. We have enough people that are citizens getting aid, let other countries provide for their own. This sneaking across the border needs to be stopped. Valentine

Posted 9 Years Ago


Immigration is a particularly thorny issue and impossible to balance in a rational way when one how so many people are forced to live in daily fear for their lives. The desire for save haven is clear and understandable, but free nations can only do so much, as both the USA and Britain already do. Politicians are just people, and despite their public front, the good ones must sometimes despair at all the bad in the world.

Fort me in particular, my heart goes out to those children who suffer at the hands of despotic regimes and power hungry madmen. I would love to offer them all a home.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Chris

9 Years Ago

peace, stability, security are basic human needs... achieve those and everything else follows natura.. read more
Power is everything in Washington but I refuse to feel powerless. We the people have to care enough to vote first of all, and elect not just the rich guys but people who know how to work with others to get things done. Too many agendas, too many PACs and way too much money up for grabs. They remind me of toddlers the lot of them...mine, mine, mine. I'm a socialist at heart but I am willing to cross lines to vote if I think it will help improve the gridlock that is stymied by ego and greed. This was a great piece of writing. We need to be mindful of what we do and look for that one honest man (or woman)...I guess we are still looking.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I don't live in the States but I understand exactly what you are saying here. I always wonder why we want to craft new laws without enforcing the ones we have. We have had similar things happen here, but not with something nearly so serious. However, our own special Toronto passed "don't ask don't tell" bylaws regarding immigrant status and people seeking health care, so there you have it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


where was the outrage when all the previous presidents ruled by executive order? when reagan or bush ruled on this very issue of immigration? were you, and others screaming about an imperial presidency then? were you outraged that the constitution was being eroded then? or is there something about this president that makes folks blood boil? he has used executive order less than any of his predecessors, but for him it is an impeachable offense? please have some sense of perspective here and some knowledge of recent history. the facts are readily available for anyone who looks beyond fox news. oh, and for the record, i oppose amnesty for illegals. but to say that this president does not have the right to do what all of his recent predecessors have done is blatantly prejudiced.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Chris

9 Years Ago

Valid thoughts Bob, but I haven't been here for the full six years he HAS been in office. And I agr.. read more
I vote and hope and sit and wait and read and cry and worry and speak out and watch and learn and dream and wallow in the disappointment. When did "We the People" become irrelevant?

Posted 9 Years Ago


The corrupt always seem to be one step ahead of the people - in almost every country. They are arch-manipulators and sociopaths. The greater good only means something to them in the context of how will it affect me and mines. In Europe we see the US as having chosen corporations over its own people.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I agree Chris.
"I've been around the world - military and as a civilian ...including here within our own 50 states. We as a nation and as a people have our problems and issues. WE, as a Nation AND as a People, can and shall resolve them ...fairly and lawfully, while we maintain our own sense of what justice is and should be. "
I saw a lot of bad days and good day. They both will come. We must keep going forward and hope for a good ending. Thank you Chris for your positive words and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris

9 Years Ago

...and thank YOU for your understanding...
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I always enjoy your thoughts. Life is rarely easy.
It would seem you do politics very well … all I have to say is the laws and politics should serve the greater good of the whole planet and that will take some changing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

I suppose the change must actually start with the individual.
Chris

9 Years Ago

don't they all?
Pryde Foltz

9 Years Ago

Nope … most want to change what is found on the outside.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

739 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 20, 2014
Last Updated on November 20, 2014
Tags: Truth, Democracy, The-American-Way

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ashen Ashen

A Poem by Sami Khalil


Young Love Young Love

A Chapter by Matching Socks