"Just Listening To The Sounds Of The Night..."

"Just Listening To The Sounds Of The Night..."

A Poem by Chris
"

A Wednesday

"

 

"Just Listening To The Sounds Of The Night…"

 

23 December, just listening to the sounds of the night.  Is way early morning here, and I am cold and feel quite "heavy".  Figures huh?  Nearing Christmas and hoping that others are doing what they can to deal and get by.  The times now disappoint so readily, but hey, times - all times - had a habit of being rough when WE were little, just ask someone and they will tell you about it.

 

So far this morning I've heard train whistles echoing in the distance and plane engines revving - good sounds often ignored cause we're "busy" but this morning - well, I listened.  Empty streets though… empty streets.  The dark rules the roads today.

 

I remember Christmas windows with the frost on the inside of the glass… and mud drives and roads… frozen into the deep, rock-ice-hard ruts that many tires could only dream of crossing.  Some houses had "lights", some had make-up and make "do" lights.  If you looked hard you could see children's eyes glistening in the window's ice - yeah I know, was prolly taking a liberty here with that BUT… I used to sit by the glass and dream.

 

Do you remember your dreams?  And not just the Christmas ones; your dreams of then and often now.  I remember some were good and some …not so good - all through the years.  Some had a fair bit of anger and what I'ld wish I could somehow do about …well, you know how we were as kids, don't ya?  I remember sitting through disappointments and all the "nothings", and the tears that just filled - well, ya know?  And the longing… not for things, not for things… for friends, closeness, sharing… smiles… moments.  We have lots of memories, just ask and we'll tell ya.  And sometimes we laugh …now… at what we didn't …then… but that's how adults are - ya know?

 

I was COLD this morning …deep cold, and heavy.  Got up early to just listen to the sound of my thoughts echoing behind my eyes… and to look out the "glass".  We still do that as adults - ya know?

 

Chris

© 2020 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
It is good to sit, ponder, reflect on what has gone before and how much life, our way of living, changes so much in such short time periods. Life always seems as if it were better in our younger days, probably because we were yet to be weighed down with the responsibilities of adulthood, morrtgages, work, family etc.
I like reading you, very seldom comment leaving that to those with a better grasp on the English language :)
Merry Christmas to you and yours Chris.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Chris

3 Years Ago

"Blessed Be, and a Merry Christmas to you Gee."
Not a lot to say here, just that I loved reading this. If this were music I'd be here with a glass of tea by myself just listening and taking it all in. Being It's words, I took it in just the same with my eyes.

A very enjoyable read, Chris. And Merry Christmas.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Chris

3 Years Ago

Merry Christmas...Blessed Be.
I enjoyed your observations, being a few morns before Christmas -- you're always interesting, unusual, yet relatable. I don't do reminiscing as part of my holiday routine . . . it's just another gorgeous day in the wilderness to appreciate all the splendor surrounding me. We've had only 3/4 inch of rain in 8 mos, so all I want for Christmas is RAIN! (that actually dampens the top soil! At least!) Thanks for sharing your reflections, which is your unique way of sharing YOU! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Chris

3 Years Ago

You ARE a love Margie to be treasured and appreciated.
barleygirl

3 Years Ago

Thanks for a dollop of sweetness for my morning coffee! *smile*
I have about 67 years of "remember the Christmas when" stories after I was old enough to have my own memories.. seems you have touched this one today..

when I was nine years old my family moved to a new town and bought a motel which they owned until I had my first child.. there are many stories from that time.. but your poem this morning reminded me of this one..

I don't know why but that year Mom had a tree that she was unhappy with.. it had a long empty space that she couldn't camouflage or fill and she tried valiantly.. she even tried to add a branch with green twine.. finally a couple of days before Christmas she went to town and bought a different tree and sent the first one to the trash.. on Christmas Eve a young man with two small children rented a single bed room for the night.. the least expensive.. after awhile he came to the office and asked about the tree in the trash.. he wanted to know if he could have it.. the story.. as I heard it later was that he was somehow down on his luck and had nothing for his children for Christmas.. I know my Mom gave him the tree and a few ornaments and maybe some light too.. I don't know for sure.. but the kids woke up that morning to a Christmas Tree that Santa had left for them.. my mom often told the tale of one woman's trash and another man's treasure..

I had a charmed upbringing and never felt the pain of a cruel and empty hand.. but I have heard the sound of a midnight train and and robins really do weep..



Posted 3 Years Ago


Chris

3 Years Ago

I stopped by some neighbors home to offer some help - if needed. They were talking together til I k.. read more
olla

3 Years Ago

it has been a very rough year.. I hate having to shout from the street to see if people need anythin.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 23, 2020
Last Updated on December 23, 2020
Tags: CHris, Writing, Poetry

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Memorial Memorial

A Poem by Gee