"Strawberry Icecream..."

"Strawberry Icecream..."

A Poem by Chris
"

A momentary state of mind.

"
"Strawberry Icecream..."

Life as we live it IS seldom as we want it.
Things BITE
and the hurt IS intense and often
way beyond what a bystander may perceive or imagine.

And it doesn't matter where you are -
not really,
just WHERE your head ...or mind...
is at that exact moment
...ya been right there yourself -
so ya know what I'm tryig so poorly to say.

You're like me,
ya get sooo very lost in the event
that ya KNOW -
even GOD can't find you...
but He can ...He can.

I was sittin' on the edge of the hospital bed,
shoulders slumped, head low, body just -
well, you know don'tcha?
Black is a palpable color at times.

A voice came from behind and
an arm reached over my shoulder...
"It's Icecream... ya need this. Here."
Chuckling here - came with a spoon too!
Strawberry...I always hated Strawberry.
The tear that slowly found its way down
to my chin... proved I had never hated Strawberry
afterall.

Some things and some people are timeless moments
lost on purpose to find ...others...
when their world is shaken - ya know?

Chris

© 2023 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A little act of kindness when you are in a black place just gives you that glimmer of light that can make a huge difference. Can make you feel human again. Yours was strawberry ice cream. Yummy. Mine was a vanilla milkshake my grandson bought me. Unexpected when I was on a downer, he remembered that a Macdonald’s vanilla would bring some sunshine. And it did.

Hope you are feeling better after your hospital visit. I enjoyed my visit here today.

Chris

Posted 9 Months Ago


Chris

9 Months Ago

Was just, "Another Day In Paradise..." for this year.
I have to comment, as I don't feel right just letting you ramble on. Thinking is writing, to you. So, you ramble, Chris. Cool. I'll make it a point to try not to figure you out, Chris. BUT, you don't see the need to wicked witch, but do you? Consider the typical jarhead type, who just don't get it! I like the depth of your thinking. You do all the figuring it out, for you. Me, I'm just another something or another. You're not a member of The Land of the Lost, Chris. You're a fellow figure it out. I just gotta remember not to go there with your figure it out.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Chris

9 Months Ago

Chuckling here... I agree - everyone is not me nor am I everyone else. There ARE times we - you and.. read more
Your poem is a moving and honest reflection on the way that life can be unpredictable and difficult, and the way that even small acts of kindness can have a profound impact on our lives. The opening lines, "Life as we live it IS seldom as we want it. / Things BITE / and the hurt IS intense and often / way beyond what a bystander may perceive or imagine," capture the sense of frustration and pain that can come with the challenges we face in life.

The lines "And it doesn't matter where you are - / not really, / just WHERE your head ...or mind... / is at that exact moment / ...ya been right there yourself - / so ya know what I'm tryig so poorly to say," suggest the way that our mental state can influence our experience of the world, and the way that others may not fully understand what we are going through.

The lines "I was sittin' on the edge of the hospital bed, / shoulders slumped, head low, body just - / well, you know don'tcha? / Black is a palpable color at times," create a powerful image of the way that pain and despair can feel overwhelming and all-consuming.
The lines "A voice came from behind and / an arm reached over my shoulder... / "It's Icecream... ya need this. Here." / Chuckling here - came with a spoon too! / Strawberry...I always hated Strawberry," suggest the way that small acts of kindness can help to lift us out of our despair and remind us that there is still joy and sweetness in the world.
Overall, your poem is a powerful reminder of the way that life can be difficult and painful, but also the way that small acts of kindness and love can help to lift us up and remind us of the beauty and sweetness of life. I appreciate your honesty and vulnerability, and the way that your poem captures the complexity and depth of the human experience.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Chris

9 Months Ago

Your "pause" here and situational understanding is appreciated. Come by anytime, you're always welc.. read more
I relate to the hospital bed thingy and the state of mind patients are often in.
I've never had any kind of ice cream offered to me, which has to be a major plus because the rest of the hospital food offerings are difficult to choke down

Posted 10 Months Ago


Chris

10 Months Ago

Simple "kindnesses" often bring people from their brink...
Perhaps there are times in life when nothing but pain and hopelessness needs - . anything, nothing.. who knows what. Nightmare times when waking up adds to your pain until.. something, someone gives you a spoonful of why not try.. anything rather than nowt. Shock! Horror! Hooray! Miracles are still at hand, still close by.

Wonderful thought written by a wonderful poet, sir.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Chris

10 Months Ago

Ya try so hard NOT to get lost in your own frailty ...but, after tooooo much ignorance, inadvertant .. read more
emmajoygreen

10 Months Ago

Must, must, MUST try the same! You're a wise man, Chris; 'know the difference between reality and ma.. read more
Wonderful poem, Chris. Loved the imagery.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris

1 Year Ago

Quite real...
And by the time perception is conceived , moments become memories and what we make of them..
Perception ..

Deep deep writing

Posted 1 Year Ago


I just reread this one... Fabulous poem! Masterful imagery, and a story well told. For some reason, this reminds me of how great a debt of gratitude we owe EVE. Once everything was named, and the lazy lion slept with lambs, what then? Adam, who had never slumped on the edge of a hospital bed rolls over, reaches for some strawberry ice cream he cannot enjoy because he's never done without... BORING!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Chris

1 Year Ago

I reread mine too... to get a fresh thought on each comment.
You have so many great poems. Love reading your work. By the way, send me a friend request again, the last one didn't work.

Posted 1 Year Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2023
Last Updated on February 22, 2023
Tags: CHris, Writing, Poetry

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren


Slant Slant

A Poem by DIVYA