"Once Upon A Time..."  "The Cafe` - Life As We Live It"

"Once Upon A Time..." "The Cafe` - Life As We Live It"

A Poem by Chris
"

A piece of an interrupted chapbook

"

"The Cafe` - Life As We Live It"

"Once Upon A Time..."


I've found myself 'day-dreaming' again - dangerous to be doing that because it makes for intense thoughts... and just how can emotional stability survive when your mind is re-inventing your 'heart' over and over and over again?  And its not spring-generated fantasies of long-svelte-limbed, angel-faced, hour-glass-figured, cookie-cutter, 20-ish, magazine-material women - though god KNOWS there ARE a few of them around... lol, quite a few on sunny days and this IS a College town!

And its not just sexually-oriented-day-wishes; though I am a MAN you know, so a few of THOSE have been known to slip in from time-to-time.  Its mainly that I find myself ‘playing’ a mental he-she game of - he says then she says and he says and she says and they go and do something quite bland - but its done together, and it HAS heart and meaning, and then it continues on-and-on until maybe there’s a sexual-oriented moment but most usually its just a soft kiss, shared-smile, and a see you tomorrow thing.  Yeah, ‘dangerous’. 

I looked up from the page… tracking, tracking… Ah there she is.  “Mary?”  “More coffee please?”

Sitting back - straighter, straighter still, body stretching itself internally in sections - tensions easing away.  My head moved slowly (with intent) side-to-side and I felt those telltale ‘tweaks’ of - oh GOD that feels good!

”Coffee-time huh?” she said as she poured.  “So how IS your daily scribbling coming along?” “Mind if I,” she began as she looked over the page.  “Dangerous huh?”  “Yeah, I guess you could say that.”

And then she suddenly had this ‘look’ on her face… and actually began to blush… “Damn, uh… I gotta get back to work.”  Turning away, she quipped a “ Holler when you need more coffee hon,” over her shoulder.

She IS cute… well back to it. 

Drifting… drifting… How many shades of auburn are there anyway?  And what is it that makes me want to see and appreciate just how the hair frames the face and eyes.  And it’s not an unconscious desire by any means - I really do SEE just that way - most days.

I like the feel of a woman’s hair.  It’s softness and strength, the way it flows so naturally through fingertips.  And then there’s the way it moves as her head moves, echoing so many things she’s feeling inside - demureness, excitement, heat, heart.  Hmmmm… yeah, dangerous.

I paused, focused on the present and an awareness of my surroundings.  Mary was just moving away… the coffee cup was full and a Hershey’s Kiss was next to it.

"Little Things..."

It’s the little things
we do
oft without thought,
and yet sometimes with so much more
than mere
thought…

Little things we didn’t HAVE to do
but just wanted to -
because we could,
because we can,
because if we don’t - then who would or will?


Little things -
that break my heart
sometimes…
because they were never noticed.

Chris

© 2011 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
Say what you want - feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Chris,
"Once Upon A Time"
Intriguing experience to be brought into the free flow of another's inner impressions.
This was really refreshing as you just wrote like you were talking to the reader. You did the same with the other 'cafe' tale as well. Cool!
You may not know but this was empowering to realize that honest and even analytical stuff is OK. Oh, I like to think that my own stuff that is sometimes just talk writing is a good place to start.
You know what else I thought was really neat? Different fonts and sized letters.
Bless you for this look into just being human and talking about your impressions and feelings.
Beautiful!
Kathy


Posted 6 Years Ago


we notice what our hearts allow...or maybe want ...some hearts want more then others
and some just need a setting of the sun in vast , beautiful , glory ....*) no Prada just life
xoxoxoxoxox nice write fine sir, as always

Posted 10 Years Ago


Chris

10 Years Ago

I hope your day glows with the warmth you always leave me...every time you pause. I hope the girls .. read more
I am always left with a thud in my heart after reading your words...you have always taken life and turned it around in one swoop...nothing is unnoticed in your world...it sings...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Straits of Americana. Do thoughts gave a tangible existance and do they drift around this cafe of yours generated by the fascinating characters you see. Inventions or otherwise? I hope so.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Chris

11 Years Ago

I don't think its a single person that existence revolves around - its the heart and hope we all hav.. read more
Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Its the place where these thoughts live that fascinates me.
damn.. the ache...

Posted 11 Years Ago


I was captured. And about to ask if you were certain that they were never noticed . . . but you would know

Posted 12 Years Ago


I just absolutely love this...
Found myself captured by an important moment. Those little things are so often overlooked by the bustle of life. Still...it is nice to know there are some out there that still notice.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This simply, and enormously captured my heart, especially your prologue.
Oh, how so very, very true about the enormous, overwhelming special moments of the "little things" that can make our day fill up with rainbows, sunshine and chocolate kisses. I loved this so much it makes me want to go out and become a waitress just so I can leave a gentleman like yourself a chocolate kis; someone who appreciates simple gestures of kindness

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

496 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 30, 2011
Last Updated on July 1, 2011
Tags: Poetry, Writing, CHris

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Down..." "Down..."

A Poem by Chris