Terra: Chapter 3 and 4

Terra: Chapter 3 and 4

A Story by VeridianWolf

 

 

 

Situation:

 

Nichole

(Head of the Eastern Inarian Police Force [eIPF])

Morning: June 16

Location: Eastern Inaria

eIPF HQ

 

 

 

 

           

 


 

            Nichole was born in Eastern Inaria. Ever since she was a puppy, she dreamed of becoming a police officer. She dreamed of fighting crime, solving murders, and becoming a famous investigator who saved the world with her research, discoveries, and police work. When she entered her profession, she realized that police work wasn’t as glamorous in the East as it was in the west (Eastern Inaria is usually quieter and more crimeless than in Western and Central Inaria) so she moved to central in order to “get more action”. A few years seeing a lot of death, violence, and rape changed her. She returned to the east where she was offered the position of the Head of the Eastern Inarian Police Force. As a result of all the terrible things she had seen, Nichole became a hardened police superintendent who rarely had fun. Instead, she always took her work seriously and worked within her no-nonsense attitude. A few years ago, Nichole married an Inarian Dragon. Nobody knew about that, and not much is still known about it.  


 

 

It all happened in the blink of an eye…. One day everything is normal and peaceful and then the next everything goes to hell. Fluffy and the Viridians sent to assist this investigation were sent back the same day they arrived to the Bering Isles… apparently it ended up being a political mess, and Premier Nora wanted to stay out of it. Nobody would have ever expected what would unfold the next day. I went in to work early, as always, in order to get started on a number of cases that I had, in my infinite knowledge, allowed to pile up over the months. It was still dark when I left home, but the temperature was oddly warm and still. Half-awake, I walked across the settlement where my husband and I lived. I could see a whole bunch of other animals that either woke up as early as I did, or were the nocturnal ones who were just about to go to sleep. “Good morning Nicole!” I heard someone call out behind me. I ignored them. I hate the candid attitude every animal has… as though everything in life is perfect and nothing in the world could possible go awry. It had never been like that before, every wolf… every animal used to rely on each other and take care of each other. Now, everyone lives in his or her own little world… their animalal little shell… and they hardly venture from it. “Good morning my a*s…” I growled to myself and continued on.

            The HQ was built a long time ago by dragons… actually… a lot of the shelters in Inaria, if not the world, were constructed by them. From the great castles in Siberia to the Prime Minister’s Rise in the south, the dragons constructed them all. Since we’ve hardly the ability to do such things, we relied heavily on them for the construction of our buildings… that, as well as intercontinental and domestic travel, since they can fly very fast and very far.  In return, we have overtaken their land and only allow for a certain number of them to live on the mainland. The rest were “relocated” to the Bering Isles, where thousands of dragons had to share such a small place… thus causing the conflict that’s going on now. I sort of pitied them… what a horrible thing for fellow creatures of Tirrora to do to each other. I shrugged, “I guess that’s life.”  I climbed the marble stairs and before I could even reach the top I saw a familiar figure sitting by one of the marble pillars. “You’re early today.” He said. His voice was very quiet but powerful. He was sort of a messenger for the Prime Minister herself. I’ve seen him twice before, each time he brought with him tragic news.  “There’s never any rest for the wicked is there.” I replied quietly, “and what are you doing here in little east Inaria? You’re a little far from your posh-a*s little circle in Central.”

His facial expression didn’t change, “I came here because there’s something you need to know, the Prime Minister Declared war on Chechnya last night in a conference with Siberia.” Somehow the news kind of came to me as a surprise… but then again didn’t…. if that makes any sense. “So we’re fighting a Territory that’s… not technically a Territory anymore? Didn’t Siberia already rape and pillage them?” The messenger shook his head, “That brings me to my next point, Nichole. They’ve elected a new leader, some Incarnadian wolf-girl named Paegan.” “What? You’re telling me that the Chechnyans elected an Incarnadian as Alpha?” I questioned in disbelief, “That doesn’t seem right. They’re very acute on who leads them; it just doesn’t make sense why they’d choose someone who’s not of their own blood.”  The messenger shrugged, “Paegan already started hundreds of successful attacks against the Siberian occupation… they’re being pushed out of Chechnya as we speak. I suspect the Chechnyans elected her as leader because she’s getting s**t done. She hasn’t even been in charge for more than twelve hours and already she’s leading success campaigns like that.” I sighed, “Well if the Prime Minister declared war over this, virtually overnight… you sure there’s not something bigger behind this?” The messenger glanced around; probably trying to make sure nobody was listening in on our conversation. “There are rumors of unrest going on in Europia… the Veridian Intelligence Agency suspects that the organization is finally making its move.” He said quietly, “They say that Demon himself is leading an ever-growing group of rebel animals against their governments.” “Which Territories are being targeted there?” I asked, interested in what he was saying. “All of them.” He muttered back, “Except Britannia.” Out of the corner of my eye, I could see my secretary coming up the stairs.  

“Oh, good morning Mrs. Nichole…” She said happily, “Oh… I’m sorry… I mean…” Mikki, my secretary, is a saber-tooth tiger from Britannia. Despite her past education in one of the most prestigious schools, she is something like an idiot. She tries to do everything right, which usually leads to her doing something terribly wrong. I can never get rid of her though, if it’s one thing she could do, it’s her job. “I’m in the middle of something.” I replied impassively, “don’t you have work to do?” She smiled, “You’re right, sorry about that boss.” She entered the building leaving the two of us alone once more. “Do you want to come to my office, I’m sure it would be better for security purposes.” I said quietly, “Pretty soon this place is going to be full of animals.” The Messenger shook his head, “Actually I was just leaving.” He started toward the street, “Oh, one more thing. Apparently, South Africa attacked the Kingdom of Alabast… seems like those two are at war now as well.” I shook my head, “This war thing is contagious now huh. Anything else I should know?” The messenger turned tail and started walking away, “As soon as I get word, you’ll be the first to know. Ah yes, and, if you don’t mind, I’d like to keep the Europia matter between us… for now.” “Yeah no problem…” I replied as he walked off, “Wait! What should I call you?” I cried out from a distance. “Agent zero,” He responded, “goodbye, for now.”   

A lot was going through my head regarding the conversation I had with this “agent zero” guy. It seemed like everything went south just overnight. “Are you thirsty Mrs. Nichole?” I heard Mikki ask from the room in front of my office, “Do you want me to bring you some water?” I sighed quietly, “No, Mikki, please leave me be for now.” My office was at the top floor of the HQ, it had a beautiful view of East Inaria from the coast as far as the desert region. I stared off for a long while thinking about what was to come. We weren’t too far from the Chechnyan border… could war breakout here? I was deep in thought when I heard my office door creak open. I turned around to see Fluffy standing there. His hair and fur was in total disarray and he looked as though he hadn’t gotten sleep for a while. “Doesn’t anyone knock anymore?” I glared, “Why do you look like you just came back from the dead?” Fluffy took a seat in front of my desk,
“It feels like I have, actually.” I sat down, “So, have you heard the news? We’re at war with Chechnya now.” Fluffy nodded, “You always get the news last huh, Kodiak told me.” He  said reaching for a picture on my desk, “I didn’t know you married a dragon.” I knew he was trying to change the subject. Ever since he and his former girlfriend, a Chechnyan ex-assassin named Ebony, were reunited, I always had an uneasy feeling about it.

“Cut the crap Fluffy, this isn’t a game anymore. What are you going to do about you’re little friend?” I questioned acutely, “You know how bad we’ll look having a Chechnyan assassin running around here?!” Fluffy sighed and sat back, “Give me a break Nichole, and let me handle it.” Fluffy is very hard-headed, but he’s good at what he does. He was an assassin for the Inarian Intelligence Agency (IIA) for a little while before he transferred here… and since then, he always completed his missions without issue… or at least without bringing trouble upon himself. He specializes in making my job a lot harder than it should be, and most of the trouble he gets into usually fires back into my face. “You said you’d handle it, but you haven’t done anything yet!” I growled. “Oh my god you can’t be serious!” He fired back, “We’ve only been back together since yesterday! What do you want me to do?!” We always get into fights like this; I know that I could never win since he never likes to lose. So usually I’m the one who has to defuse these situations. “It’s too early for this. I’ll talk to you later about it.” I muttered looking through some papers on my desk. “You can’t just shut me up like that! You’re being ridiculous!” Fluffy continued. I glared up at him, “I noticed you have a lot of pink hair stuck in your fur… it doesn’t seem to me like you’re doing anything to fix this situation. Rather, it seems to me like you’re making things worse… and why is your hair so messed up? What did you do last night, Fluffy?” He glared at me and then walked away.

“I really love listening to you guys’ love-hate fights like that; I think it’s really cute.” Mikki said entering my office with a bunch of papers. “Do you want me to break those teeth off?” I muttered. She handed me the papers she had, “No… I’m sorry.”  “What is all this?” I growled, “Where did all this come from?” Mikki shrugged, “I don’t know… it was on my desk to put on your desk.” I sighed. My days aren’t very exciting… usually we get a case about a murder every now and then but mostly we get reports of predator/prey conflicts. A couple of hours passed before the sun finally reached its spot in the clear blue sky. The building, which used to be eerily quiet and empty, was now full of life as everyone had come to work. Many of the animals that work there were investigators and police officers of all different species and breeds so there wasn’t a dull moment after everyone got there. I remained in my office reading reports and enjoying the occasional chewing out I’d have to give to certain individuals. “I cross-referenced everything I could but… I couldn’t come up with anything suspicious…” One of them tried to explain to me regarding a recent case, “this guy’s clean…” I glared at him, “Do it again.” He nodded disappointedly and left. At the same time he had left, Fluffy returned, looking better than he did earlier. “I hope you’re here to tell me you’ve gotten rid of that girl, Fluffy.” I said eying him, “Don’t play with me.” Fluffy sighed, “Look, I’m working on it. Quit pestering me on it and maybe I can make some progress.” I nodded, “well I don’t have anything for you today, so you can take that time to burn a couple of bridges then.” Fluffy rolled his eyes, “Whatever Nichole.”   The day was pretty much going on like any other before the mysterious wolf known as “Agent Zero” returned to my office. “Someone is here to see you, boss.” Mikki said approaching my desk. “Let them in.” I replied glancing up.  

“Agent Zero?” I asked surprised, “What are you doing back so soon? Don’t tell me Veridia and Incarnadia are back at it.” He laughed, “No it’s a different matter here. Well, someone wants to see you. It’s an important matter.” I narrowed my eyes at him, “Well someone should definitely get an appointment, as you can see, we are very busy at the moment.” “It’s the Prime Minister, Premier Nora; she wants to see you as soon as possible.” Agent zero said stoically. My ears dropped, “Wh-what?” He didn’t repeat himself. Instead he glanced at the same picture on my desk that Fluffy did earlier, “Hey, I didn’t know you married a dragon.” “What do you mean Premier Nora wants to see me?! What the hell?!” I growled at him, “What did that b*****d Fluffy get me into?! What is this about?!” Agent Zero shrugged, “Look, I didn’t ask any questions. I’ve got my dragon out front, if you want to fly with me back to the Capital.”  I didn’t have much of a choice. I was sort of freaking out on the inside… usually the Prime Minister wants to meet up with superintendents such as myself only if one of their animals really messes up. “Mikki, put someone who’s not an idiot in charge.” I growled following Agent Zero out of the building. On the way out, I could hear the animals whispering amongst each other. “Oh my god… I heard she has to go see Premier Nora…” One whispered to the other. “Damn… someone must have really fucked up big time…” Another said. Outside, we boarded a massive dragon and took off for the south.  On the flight to the Capitol, I couldn’t shake the feeling that this meeting had something to do with the Chechnyan wolf-girl, Ebony, returning. “Don’t look so scared, I’m sure it’s nothing” Agent Zero said breaking the silence, “Or are you afraid of flying?” I shook my head, “I don’t mind flying. It’s not every day you get called to see the Prime Minister ya’know… It’s like being called to the principal’s office in grade school.”


 

 

    

 

 

 

 

Scarlette

Day: June 16

Location: En route to Veridia  

Dragon Flight 177


 

 

Note:

Tirrora is three times the size of Earth, so travel is important in the story. Since airplanes don’t exist, the main mode of trans-oceanic travel by air is to fly via dragon. Dragons have the ability to fly for days on end without rest making them a perfect mode of transportation. Cabins are manufactured to hold passengers and then these cabins are attached, to the belly of a dragon to be carried across the ocean or land in the same manner as aircraft. Generally, aircraft are replaced by avian animals. Buildings in the story are constructed by dragons, and other animals that possess opposable thumbs. Since wolves, tigers, lions, bears, saber tooth tigers, equines, or anything else of that likeness don’t have thumbs, major structures like government buildings or hospitals are constructed by those who do.

 

Kodiak

            Kodiak was born in Central Veridia by himself in a rare litter of one. His mother worked as a veterinarian and his father as a military officer. In a strange twist of events, his parents moved to central Veridia leaving his older sister to take care of him. His older sister, Kierra, was going to school to be a veterinarian at that time so consequently, she to work extra to take care of him. After Kodiak graduated hunting school, Red, Arko, and he went off to live on their own (Which is pretty early for wolves their age at that time). Kierra returned to Caniridia to finish school and eventually become the veterinarian she worked so hard to become. He married Copper a few years later and settled in Central Veridia. After a while, a group of wolves collected in that area (Specifically: Red, Arko, Kodiak, Blue, Laika, Copper, Macross, Princess Nikki, Shadow, and eventually others began to join the small group which hadn’t official become a pack until later). Kodiak created the Central Veridian Pack with twelve original members. The number continues to grow as of now. Princess Nikki and Shadow call this pack home as well.


 

            “What a waste of time…” I muttered to myself as I stared out the window of the room. We had taken off a few hours ago from Inaria’s international airport to return to Veridia. It was almost like we had taken this whole trip for no reason. I glanced over at Kodiak, who was sleeping soundly beside me. Our mission was to assist Inaria in an investigation of the organization that was supposedly operating in Eastern Inaria. Once we got there, that never happened. Instead, we got into it with a couple of Fluffy’s personal stalkers. “Is there anything I can get for you miss?” a flight attendant asked peeking into our room. I shook my head, “No thanks.” The second part of our operation was last night, where we were sent to Oceanica in order to make contact with the northern island where some of our friends were. Nichole made it sound like we were in for a pretty important operation… until once we landed there, we were turned away. Personally, I wanted to sneak in and see what the big deal was all about… but the last thing both Veridia and Inaria needed was an international incident against Oceanica, of all places. I returned my stare toward the ocean we were flying above. Our cabin was hooked below the belly of a massive dragon, whose massive wings carried us across the vast Atlantic Ocean.  I felt my legs falling asleep, so I decided to take a stroll around.

            There were a few other animals on board who were in the commons area talking about something like a war being declared last night. “Yeah apparently Chechnya, Inaria, and Siberia are at war as of last night.” One tiger said to another, “It happened just over night.” I was confused. Weren’t we just there? Wasn’t everything fine just a few hours ago? I crept in closer to listen to the conversation. “South Africa too, they attacked the Kingdom of Alabast and now they’re at war as well.” The tiger continued, “That, and the unrest going on in Europia… I think something is going on here.” The others added input that I ignored. Once I felt the conversation shift, I quickly returned to the room to wake Kodiak. When I entered, I didn’t see him. “Where the…” I whispered to myself. Suddenly I felt something like a cold blade poke at my back. “Don’t try anything stupid.” A voice whispered very quietly from behind. It was a male who sounded so oddly familiar. “Who the hell are you,” I growled, “What have you done to him…” “Shut up and get in there.” The voice said quietly while at the same time pushing me into the room. While inside, I tried to covertly get a look at the animal’s face. I didn’t know who it was… but his voice… I knew it from somewhere. As soon as I heard the door close I quickly turned around to see another wolf. He had white fur and white eyes… something I had never seen before.

            “Who the hell…” I started before he interrupted me. “What business do you have in Inaria, Scarlette?” He asked quietly, “Aren’t you supposed to be dead?” His voice was so familiar… but I didn’t know his face from anywhere. “Who are you?!” I barked at him. He began walking closer to me, “I was on cleanup for Lavender at the same time you were. I can’t believe you don’t remember me… well, no matter. That’s all behind us now isn’t it?” Suddenly, it came to me. Though I’ve never seen him before, he was the one who was in charge of capturing prisoners for questioning during the war between Veridia and Incarnadia… I never saw his face… but I heard his voice many times while I was working under Lavender. “Who are you working for?” I asked backing away, “Lavender is supposed to be dead by now.” The wolf threw the knife across the room, “She’s not, and I’m not working under them anymore, obviously.” I was confused, “Then what the hell are you doing here? What do you want with me? What the hell did you do to Kodiak?!” He shook his head, “So many questions… I’m here to warn you, Scarlette. You’re not the only one Lavender’s investigators tried to kill off to keep quiet.” I felt the atmosphere change. I expect him to try and kill me, but it seemed as though he actually wanted to talk… “We should take this to a more discreet place… before your friend returns.” He said walking toward the door. I followed him out of the cabin and toward the door leading to the outside area.

 “You didn’t hurt him… did you?” I asked nervously as we approached the exit, “I mean Kodiak… the white wolf I’m here with… “Don’t worry; nobody needs to die today… not here anyway.” He answered leaving the commons area and entering the outside one. “Isn’t it beautiful?” He asked approaching the railing, “The fuselage were we live is suspended on the belly of a huge dragon that carries animals across the sea… travel sure has improved since I was a kid.” I followed him and looked below at the ocean which we were crossing at a very fast pace. The sun was intense, but the massive tail of the dragon shaded us from it. It felt nice to get a breath of the fresh sea-air. “I didn’t know we could come out here.” I said looking around, “This is only my second time flying on one of these.” The wolf nodded, “You can. We’re not flying too high, so everything is fine.” We were both quiet for a minute, only the sound of the wind against the dragon’s wings and the ocean below made a sound. “I work for the KGB now, Siberia’s Intelligence Agency.” The wolf finally said, “Call me Ivan.” I glanced up at him, “That’s not really your name… is it?” He smiled, “It’s not really… but I can’t go around being called what I used to… times are tough, and technically I’m still being hunted by Vexis’s cleanup crew.” I nodded, “I figured as much.” Ivan continued, “You’re really luck to be alive… I guess the same could be said for all of us. I came here to tell you that Lavender’s madness is far from over. She’s working with some serious animals now… I’m sure you’ve heard the news.” “Do you think she has something to do with it? With the organization?” I asked. “Very smart, I second guessed you.” Ivan continued, “Assuming you know about the organization, we suspect she has ties with them now… she escaped prison the night she was supposed to be executed.”

Ivan glanced back, “We assumed she’d be in Siberia, or Inaria… but nothing’s turned up… suddenly we get a sighting in Caniridia. That’s why I’m here. Coincidentally, you’re here as well.” “So you think she’ll try to kill us?” I asked, “Is that what you’re trying to warn me about?” Ivan nodded, “Seeing as we’ve both joined different Intelligence agencies, it would be bad for her to have animals like us in positions such as ours.” I nodded, “Well okay… thanks… I guess.” Ivan turned and headed away, “Be careful, Scarlette. If not, you may put yourself and your new family in danger.” As he disappeared into the cabin, I couldn’t stop thinking about the last thing he had said. It has been roughly six months since I agreed to work with Kodiak and the Veridian Intelligence Agency… and I couldn’t have been more grateful to him for saving me that night… ever since then I had very strong feelings towards him… I glanced up to see him standing at the door. He appeared as though he had just woken up. “There you are,” He smiled exiting the cabin, “Can you believe they ran out of ice cream?” I laughed and shook my head, “You can’t be serious.” He was just all around pleasant to be around. “I didn’t know we could come out here.” He said looking around, “This is pretty cool.” I thought to myself whether or not I should tell him about the discussion Ivan and I had. “Hey have you heard about the war?” He finally said, “I think this was the quickest flare up in Inarian history… or any history for that matter…” I decided to tell him everything that Ivan had. He trusted me six months ago despite my dark past… so I felt that I could trust him on such a matter as that. If it would, in any way, threaten the pack where we lived, I felt that he should at least know about it.     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Ebony

Night: June 17

Location: Eastern Inarian Settlement

At home

 


 

Ebony was born in the capitol city of Chechnya. She was very smart but, along with her friends, she would always get into trouble for things like skipping class and fighting. She had always had a keen interest in working with secret agencies as a sort of spy. When she tested for it, however, she failed. Frustrated, she moved to Inaria and joined the Eastern Inarian Police Force (eIPF). There, she was trained as an assassin and sent on many missions. She was always successful in her objectives and, as a result, captured the focus of the superintendent (Nichole was not yet the superintendent at that time). She was eventually paired with Fluffy whose skills matched (she would say exceeded) his. The two went on missions and ended up being the biggest success the eIPF had ever seen.

News of Ebony’s success eventually traveled back to Chechnya where the same officials who failed her on her initial test learned of her great success in Inaria. They offered her the position she always wanted. Ebony, who was very patriotic towards her territory, immediately took it. After working with Fluffy for so long, she returned to Chechnya as an assassin/spy. Before she left, her and Fluffy had dated for a bit and even planned to get married eventually. Fluffy was devastated by her departure, but would eventually move on.     

Shortly after an incident destroyed Chechnya’s central government and threw the territory into anarchy, Ebony rounded up a group of her colleagues to try and retake Chechnya from the Siberians, who had invaded under the impression that they were “restoring democracy” to the region. She was labeled as a rogue organization leader and many assassination attempts were made (Fifty seven to be exact). She was never killed, however, because of her great skills and knowledge. Instead, her pack would eventually suffer extreme losses until it was only her and five others remaining. After Siberia had completely taken over, Fluffy was sent to Chechnya with orders from Nichole to investigate and possibly assassinate Ebony.

Upon further investigation, Fluffy realized that she had nothing to do with the murder of a police agent (the murder of a female police agent possibly by Ebony was the initial cause of the preliminary investigation as well as the subsequent mission carried out by Fluffy) and convinced her to stop resisting the Siberian invaders. Instead, he convinced her to return to Inaria to continue working with him again. Ebony, aware that she couldn’t win and convinced that her skills could be used elsewhere, agreed to return to Inaria to work with Fluffy again. Deep down inside, she planned to return to her territory to save it from Siberia’s rule.               

 

            “This is bad…” I kept thinking to myself, “This is really, really baad.” I was dizzy and so confused… everything happened so fast… before I realized it… he was dead. I looked down at my blood soaked paws and over towards the guy I had killed. He was wandering around the outside of my den while I was sleeping, so naturally I assumed he was sent by someone… to kill me. I don’t remember exactly what happened… but the next time I came to my senses I had already killed him. Upon further investigation I realized that the wolf I had killed was a part of Nichole’s investigation team… and a pretty important part of it. My heart stopped for a second. The timing couldn’t have possibly been worse… the day after Inaria and Chechnya went to war, a Chechnyan assassin kills an Inarian investigator. “Oh god…” I whispered to myself. No one would believe me if I told them the truth… that it was an accident… I didn’t know what to do. After the initial shock and confusion wore off, I began thinking of ways I could hide everything that happened… I lived in the center of a settlement that was populated by nocturnal animals… so sneaking out at night with the body would be hard to do. Just when things couldn’t get any worse, I heard the crack of lightning and the slow downpour of rain. “D****t…” I muttered to myself glancing outside of my den. Even though I hated the rain, it would work as the perfect cover. I waited a while for the rain to get more intense before I dragged the agent’s body onto my back and quietly headed towards the forest.  

            I couldn’t stop shivering out of fear… It’s not like I hadn’t ever killed anyone… but something about this particular wolf had my stomach aching and my mind a blur. At that moment I felt nothing but contempt for Nichole… the wolf I felt was trying to sabotage everything I was working towards. “Everything was going so well…” I growled to myself, “Before she stepped in and fucked EVERYTHING up…”  Thinking back, she probably planned this all along. The rain had picked up so much that I could hardly see a few feet in front of me. “Damn this Inarian weather…” I muttered to myself continuing towards the river. After a few miles of treading through mud and wet grass I reached the usually calm river which, because of the downpour, had turned into a raging torrent of debris. Without second thought I dropped the body into the river and, not even a few seconds later, it had disappeared. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my mind. That river leads to the underground caverns, so I doubt anyone would ever discover it. On the walk back home I tried to think of what I’d do next. Should I tell Fluffy about what happened? I didn’t think it was necessary. But if someone were to locate the body of that agent who was supposed to be watching me, and I didn’t at least tell fluffy about it… it would look suspicious.

            As I approached my den, I noticed that the lights were on. “But I didn’t…” I thought to myself. Suddenly, all kinds of thoughts rushed through my head. “Have I been caught?” was the first thing that came to mind. I slowly crept to the side of the door and peeked in to see Fluffy making himself comfortable. I sighed one of relief and entered. “You almost scared the crap out of me…” I said walking in, “I could have killed you y’know.” He smiled, “Well, you and I both know that would never happen, after all, I am the best fighter out of the two of us.” I came close to him expecting a kiss, but instead I got another shock. “Hey is that blood?” He asked peering at my back, “What happened? Are you okay?” “S**t…” I muttered to myself and quickly thought of a response. “Its fine I was… doing some late night hunting…” I responded looking at the floor, “Little alicorn didn’t see me coming…” He laughed, “Of course! Who would expect anything less than that from you?” I laughed along with him just glad that I had dodged that one…  “Fluffy, why does that girl hate me so much?” I asked referring to Nichole. He stopped laughing a shrugged, “It’s not personal, I don’t think… she’s just really serious when it comes to her job.” I nodded. Deep down inside, I knew it was personal, or else she wouldn’t have gone to such lengths to frame me for murder.  “But whatever, enough about Nichole you’re turning me off!” He proclaimed proudly, “It’s raining outside and I love the smell of your wet fur!” “Be quiet, you’ll wake the neighbors…” I said blushing, “are you trying to get everyone pissed off at me?” He came closer until his muzzle was pushed up against mine, “Maybe…” I felt his tail wrap around mine. Suddenly a bolt of lightning cracked through the sky followed by a loud burst of thunder. In the second the lightning had flashed, I could have sworn I saw the wolf I had killed standing at the door.

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Fiona

Day: June 18

Location: Central Veridia

Central Veridian Pack


 

Fiona

Fiona was born in Britannia. When she was five years old, her mother died from cancer and her father was killed in action as a police officer. She spent several years in a Britannian orphanage and, five years later, she was adopted by an Incarnadian wolf.  She moved to Incarnadia where her adopted mother, father and sister lived. (Incarnadia at the time was under the rule of Princess Lavender’s Father. They remained at war with Veridia at that time as well. ) Fiona’s adopted mother worked in the Incarnadian government as a close advisor to the king and her father was a high ranking officer in the military. Their parents favored Fiona over Paegan, her sister, because Fiona was smarter and rarely got into trouble. Paegan, on the other hand, did sort of poorly in school and got into a lot of trouble. Since the actions of her children reflected upon her greatly, Paegan and Fiona’s parents often would ignore Paegan and would claim Fiona as her true daughter by birth rather than Paegan.

Even though Paegan often acted as if she didn’t care about her mother and father’s feelings towards her, she secretly tried her best to outdo her sister. But to no avail. Feelings of jealousy began to build and eventually sprouted into animosity to a point where all she could think about was destroying her sister’s perfect life. She began plotting to kill Fiona, in order to return to being the only child and, hopefully, restoring her parents’ love for her. Paegan and her best friend, Ashley, came up with a plan to murder Fiona. The plan was to ambush her in an alleyway she used as a shortcut from school, stab her multiple times, and then dump her body off of one of many sea cliffs on the coast. They would also shatter some of her bones, to make it seem as though she was killed when she fell off.

Paegan wasn’t very smart in that she wrote her plan down and left a lot of evidence that would prove her guilt. On the day of execution, Paegan and Ashley were caught by their parents and the Incarnadian police. Paegan’s parents would end up disowning her and abandoning her in the Jagged Pass, a treacherous mountain trail separating Vitraia from Caniridia. The temperature is always sub-zero and survival is nearly impossible. Ashley’s parents were abusive, but not much else is known about her. A few days after the incident, she was seen with scratch marks torn across her face. Rumor has it, that her father was the cause. Fiona would eventually return to Britannia to work in international relations. She then moved to Veridia to work under Princess Nikki. She married Macross a few days later and joined the Central Veridian Pack.

Katiya

Katiya was born in Eastern Siberia to a poor family. Her parents sold her to the Chechnyan Assassin Academy when she was five years old. There, all innocence was taken from her. She was exposed to some of the most ruthless and violent things anyone could ever imagine. The Chechnyan Assassin Academies were school-like academies that were made to train strong assassins for government disposal. The schools were extremely strict. If one tried to escape, he/she was executed in front of everyone else, to make an example. If any of them showed any type of emotion, they would be tortured. Katiya was brainwashed for years and had been taught to kill for the Chechnyan Government from the age of five to about fourteen. In her earlier days there, she made a friend named Victoria, a Chechnyan Wolf female in the same class as her. Victoria had been sold there too and the two got along very well. Katiya was very strong and she did her best to teach Victoria, who wasn’t very strong at all, the basics. In the Chechnyan Assassin Camps, the strongest member of the class is forced to fight and kill the weakest members (in the first stage, the strongest kills one of the weakest. In the second, they kill two, in the third they kill three and so on until only 10 remain.). Consequently, Katiya was pitted against her best friend, Victoria. In the CAA, hesitation is strictly forbidden and is answered with death. However when Katiya realized that her superiors wanted her to kill Victoria, she hesitated. Rather than killing her on the spot, Katiya’s trainers tortured her for seven days as punishment until she would kill her best friend. It took two weeks of vicious torture before Katiya killed her best friend.

After that day, Katiya hardly spoke. She never made friends. Instead, she killed those she was ordered to and did nothing more or less. She ended up graduating as one of the strongest Chechnyan Assassins the CAAs had ever produced. She killed over 115 targets for them so far. Eventually, the Chechnyan government fell apart. She continued to work for her handler until she decided to kill him and do her own thing.    

            The sun tore through the window of my den jerking me awake. I tried to get up but Macross’s held me tighter every time I tired. I sighed and laid back down. It has been a while since I joined the Central Veridian Pack, it felt nice to belong somewhere despite everything that had happened in my life so far. I glanced up at Macross, who was still asleep. He snored loudly, and a sea of drool collected under his head. “Had I never joined Kodiak’s pack, I never would’ve met him…” I smiled to myself and smacked him awake. “Wake up you beast, you’re drowning me with your spit.” I growled at him as he slowly awakened. “Huh….” He mumbled, “What happened?” I slipped out of his grip and went to the entrance of our den, “You’re starting to snore again.” I replied, “Do you want to go hunting?” He shook his head and laid back down, “No, I think… I’ll get a little bit more sleep.” I sighed and walked out. Central Veridia is nestled in the center of the Veridian forest which is very close to the coast. It was a way prettier place than Britannia, where I was born, and Incarnadia, where I was raised. Incarnadia had a lot of beautiful landscapes similar to Veridia, except it snowed a lot there… and I hate the snow.  I continued outward to the outskirts where the Vitraian plains started. Here, a lot of the herbivores live. Apparently all the pygmy alicorns were still asleep, because I didn’t see any of them where they usually come out to graze. “Is it really this early?” I wondered out loud to myself. “It is… kind of…” A voice replied. I quickly looked back, but no one was there. “Who’s there?” I asked nervously. I didn’t recognize the voice. When I turned around, there was nothing, “Who the hell are you?” Suddenly, I felt the presence of something that appeared behind me.

When I turned to look, I saw an unfamiliar wolf girl smiling maniacally at me.  “Paegan said it would be easy… but holy crap I didn’t realize it’d be this easy!” She growled and before I could say anything back she jumped at my throat. I wasn’t able to react before her paws were wrapped around my neck and her claws were digging into my throat. “Paegan sends her regards!” The wolf girl said smiling insanely. I tried to struggle loose from her grip, but it was too much. In an instant, the wolf girl’s grip was released when a quick white blur tackled her off of. I glanced around to see another wolf pinning the other to the ground. “What the hell…” I muttered to myself as I struggled to get up. “Katiya…What are you…” The wolf girl grunted trying to look up at the other. The other wolf was a very light shade of grey, with snow-white hair, and blue eyes. She had a blank gaze that… I sort of recognized from somewhere. “Huh, I never guessed you’d be here… of all places.” The other wolf girl muttered, still smiling, “What a dream come true…” Katiya didn’t say anything. “What… who the hell are you…” I asked confused at what just happened. “Paegan wants to kill you.” The wolf girl replied immediately, “You know her, right? I mean… she is your sister and all….” I was surprised to know hear her talk about Paegan. I was adopted by her mother when I was five… technically making us sisters. But she never accepted it. As a matter of fact, she hated me. “What...? How do you…” I began asking nervously, “How do you know her…?”

“She sent me to kill you, dumbass.” She replied with a grin, “Or maybe you didn’t notice… y’know, me trying to kill you.” She then glanced up at Katiya, “Can you get off of me please? It’s getting hard to breathe with your fat a*s crushing my windpipe.” Katiya didn’t say anything. “Anyways, your girlfriend may have protected your sorry a*s now… but there will definitely be more assassins like me. It would be best if you just gave yourself up and died.” The wolf girl continued. “It would be a shame if your little pack-friends had to suffer because of you… Macross, and Kodiak and…” Before she could finish, Katiya quickly grabbed her muzzle and twisted her neck around, making an eerie sound similar to a tree branch snapping. “Shut the hell up already.” Katiya muttered releasing her grip on the now lifeless wolf girl. “You… killed her…” I whispered, still shivering from the sound of her neck breaking. Katiya glanced over at me, “She was sent to kill you, and like she said, there will be more.” I looked up her. She still had the same blank expression she always had. “There can be several of them.” She said observing the assassin she had just killed, “You’re lucky I came in time.” “But why? Why did you save me?” I said quietly. “An enemy of Paegan can’t be too bad, especially if you’re her sister.” She replied walking away. “Wait! What do I do?!” I cried out after her. She stopped and looked back, “It’s up to you. Essentially, you can stay and fight but your pack would be in danger… or… you can go alone.” After that, she continued walking. I was so confused. What was supposed to be a normal day turned out to be a nightmare… just like that… “Didn’t she just say that she was here to protect me…?” I whispered out loud to myself.  

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Case File

Day: June 22

Location: Incarnadian Center for Disease Control, Coastal District, Inc.

Incarnadian Central Intelligence

TOP SECRET

            The following information is for executive eyes only. The current situation regarding a recent suspected biological terrorist attack against Incarnadia two days ago is still unfolding; however this case file will outline the events that have unfolded the past two days and the government action following. This information is classified and can be considered class A “For executive Eyes only”. Certain information has been blacked out, as it is strictly for the president’s eyes only.

 

June 20 (10:30pm): A small medical center in the southern Forest Edge District receives two patients showing symptoms of an early onset of rabies. Here are the recorded symptoms:

-Confusion

-High Fever

-Clouded Eyes

- Dilated pupils

-Twitching/ Involuntary actions.

-Foaming at the mouth

-Seizures

-Suspected internal and external hemorrhaging

Cont. The two patients were unable to answer simple questions such as their age, name, or location. They were diagnosed with Common Rabies by the local nurse and a treatment was deployed to the region from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Capital City, Incarnadia.

(11:12pm): The two patients died from heart failure, an unusually quick death for common rabies. Upon further investigation, Patient number 1 had a very deep bite behind his neck. Patient 2, patient 1’s mate, was bitten by Patient 1 in the same location. The skin around the bite marks had blackened an unusual symptom from common rabies. Information was sent to the CDC for further investigation.

(11:32pm): Twenty minutes later, thirteen more districts in that area reported similar breakouts. The symptoms were all the same as before. CDC was notified immediately. The Forest Edge District reported the reanimation of the two patients who had been declared dead twenty minutes ago. They reported that the two had come back to life in a zombified like state. They reported that they were unable to speak clearly however the following actions were reported:

-The reanimated patients bit one of the nurses to death.

-They were unable to see, however their sense of smell and hearing remained unimpaired.

-Patient 1 was captured, 2 was killed. No heartbeat was reported in patient 1, body temperature was extremely low, and the specimen was not breathing.

Cont. The CDC and the Incarnadian government were notified immediately. Sources from Caniridia and Antarceos reported the disease as actually Rabies C-Strand Virus, the following is information regarding the C-strand Virus recorded by Antarceos’s Medical Branch.

 

 

Antarceos Medical File

Rabies (C-strand Virus)

 

            BG Information: The C-strand Virus is a genetically enhanced version of the Common Strand (A) of Rabies. It is transmitted by body fluid contact (Saliva, Blood, Semen, etc.) and is transferred from animal to animal (warm-blooded) most commonly by bites but possible sexual contact with an infected. The Virus attacks the central nervous, circulatory, and lymphatic systems causing death but eventual reanimation. The virus works extremely quickly as death is reported only 1-3 hours after initial infection.

            Signs/Symptoms: Initial Bite: Behavioral Changes, Malaise, Headache, Fever, Acute Pain, Violent movements, Involuntary movements, Coughing/Vomiting Blood,  paralysis, clouded eyes, dilated pupils, intense shivering, twitching/seizures, cardiac arrest, death.

            Signs/Symptoms: Initial Bite (Behavior change examples): Maniacal Laughing, growling, teeth bearing, Cannibalism, excessive crying, paranoia, biting, Confusion. 

            After Death: After death, the specimen comes back to life in a “zombified state” characterized as the reanimation and autonomy of an animal corpse however lacking sufficient brain activity or vital function to be considered alive or capable of thought. The reanimated corpse preys after living animals, attempting to bite and consume the flesh. They do not appear to communicate with each other; however cannibalism was recorded in a lot of infected, even before death. Reanimated corpses usually die within three days (without a food source).

            Prevention: Don’t get bitten by an infected. After death reanimation (Zombification) can be prevented by destruction of the brain of the dead.

            Treatment: PtA-234 Strand F vaccination injected directly into the brain of an infected patient (BEFORE) death successfully killed the Virus however permanent nerve and mental problems may ensue and has been recorded. After the patient dies, it is not possible to bring him/her back to “life”. The vaccine DOES NOT prevent future exposure. (See prognosis)

             Prognosis: The PtA-234 Vaccine is 23% successful in 100% restoring mental state of an infected patient assuming there was little or no delay in treatment. After 10-20 minutes before treatment, the success rate drops to 5-10%. After death, the treatment reaches 0%. Death of untreated patients is 100%.

 

Cont. The C-strand rabies was developed in our Laboratories during the reign of Princess Lavender. All possible research and observations were destroyed; however an unknown strand was smuggled out of the lab and sold to a prominent terrorist organization known as “The Inner Circle”.. The first outbreak was recorded in Caniridia some time ago. The second was reported in Antarceos just a few days ago.

(12am): The government issues a Territory emergency. CDC agents are deployed to the fourteen districts with infect patients. Travel between these districts is shut off in order to quarantine the virus and prevent further spread. Travel between other Territories is also closed off to prevent Territorial transmission.

(3am): Citizens are urged to keep an eye on family members and/or pack mates for the symptoms, if any are reported, to contact the health service immediately. The death toll rises to 523 confirmed deaths. A natural acid is injected into the brains of the dead patients in order to prevent zombification.

June 21 (12pm [Day 2]): The CDC announces that the virus had been contained. The Executive Branch has an emergency meeting with Princess of Veridia Nikki Flownne and the Prime Minister of Caniridia, Fang. A press conference is held and matters are discussed to the public.

(3:23pm [Day 2]): The bodies of the infected are disposed. Death toll climbed to 1,223. 120 were infected but immediately and successfully and treated. The executive branch calls for an investigation as to the whereabouts of the initial infection.

(6:37pm [Day 2]): Seventeen agents from the Incarnadian Intelligence Agency (including myself) were deployed to the Forest Edge District, the initial location of the viral outbreak. Upon investigation of the initial two infected, the male (who was first infected) appeared to have been injected with the virus. The injection location was his left flank. The female, who had been infected second, was bitten by the male.

          It wasn’t possible for the virus to have spread through the first two into the thousands of others. The CDC suspects that the virus was dispersed through “sleeper agents” or enemy agents who purposely inject the virus into random citizens hoping for it to spread. We returned to The Capital with our findings.

 

(10:00pm [Day 2]): The virus was declared eradicated. The Territory emergency was declared over.

 

***************UPDATED JUNE 22****************************

          At 1300, a suspicious male wolf was arrested in one of the Districts that had been infected. On his person were a four of hypodermic needles and a strange vial of purplish-red fluid. Upon further investigation, the vials contained blood infected with the C-strand Virus. The suspect was questioned. The wolf, who is a male in his late twenties, is determined to be Archechestrian. Intense questioning and information extraction methods produced the following results:

-          The attack was orchestrated by the “The Inner Circle”.

-          There were four sleeper agents who were to carry out the attack. The mission was compromised when one of the cells committed suicide, possibly out of pressure, and two others accidentally infected themselves. The lone wolf infected fourteen citizens himself causing the widespread outbreak that was successfully contained.

-          He admitted to be an agent working in the Archechestrian branch of the Inner Circle, whom he suggested would soon wage ware on Vitraia.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nichole

Day: June 20

Location: Inarian Capital

Executive Government Campus


 

            The flight took a little while but Agent Zero and I finally reached the Inarian Capital. I had been summoned by the Premier of Inaria, Nora… I still do not know why, but I suspected it had something to do with Fluffy and the Chechnyan girl. “Nervous?” Agent Zero asked as we headed up the stairs to the Premier’s office. “No.” I replied blankly, “Let’s just get this over with.” We headed up a long flight of stairs and then up more and more stairs. Her office was at the very top of a large building set in the middle of the Executive Campus, where the Inarian government is housed. We finally reached the top of the building where a large door separated us from her. “Well this is as far as I go.” Agent Zero whispered to me turning around, “good luck, okay?” I quickly turned to face him, “Wait, where the hell are you going?” He ignored me and started down the stairs. I swallowed my nervousness and entered the door. Nora’s office was a massive room that led to a huge outdoor balcony. The balcony faced the Inarian Bay, which produced a beautiful landscape. There were a bunch of statues of prominent past government officials lined against the wall as well as expensive looking paintings. In the center of the room was a large table, behind it was Premier Nora. She was a white wolf with a black stripe trailing from the tip of her nose to her tail. She had bright red eyes and very serious demeanor.

            “Mrs. Nichole?” She said quietly looking up, “How was your flight?” “It was alright, your majesty.” I replied, rendering the proper respect, “I apologize for taking so long to get here.” She smiled, “The east coast is pretty far away, I’m surprised you got here this fast. Please take a seat.” I walked closer to her and took a seat in front of her desk. “As you may have already been told, Chechnya has declared war on us a few days ago.” She began, “My military leaders have already mobilized the army, and the air force is on standby. My main concern is the East, for now anyway, because of how close Chechnya is to you. The Inarian Intelligence Agency as well as the Secret Service and the Special Forces have requested that I base them in the East in order to perform… special operations. I brought you here because I have a special assignment for you, should you choose to accept it.” I nodded, “Whatever you need.” She nodded, “I want to base these agencies in your area. The military will be based in your village and on the Chechnyan-Inarian border north of it. I observed your records and you have produced some promising results regarding your police operations. I want to promote you to Executive Supervisor for Eastern Secret Operations; pretty much you’ll oversee the underground work of the Secret Services while I control the military action.”

My heart skipped a beat at what she had said. The position she was prepared to put me in is one of the highest anyone in my field could get to. I would be in direct command of some of Inaria’s deepest secrets and I’d be under direct supervision of the Premier herself. Without second thought, I accepted the position. “I’m glad to hear.” Premier Nora said handing me a stack of papers titled “Top Secret”, “We will deploy a team of assassins for your disposal, operations we will be undertaking include assassinations, kidnappings, and the eventual topple of the Chechnyan government. You are free to utilize your own agents for these operations, but please keep in mind that these operations are strictly top secret… we don’t need ANYTHING like this falling into enemy hands.” Right when she told me that, I immediately thought of Ebony. If Nora knew that a Chechnyan assassin was operating right under my nose… I don’t even want to think about the possible problems… “I understand.” I replied. “Excellent, the security of Eastern will be in the paws of you and your subordinates. The agency leaders are waiting for you in the conference room.” Nora said standing up, “Good luck, Nichole.” I nodded and left the room quickly.

So many thoughts were crowding my head as I proceeded to the conference room. Ebony could present so many problems to me now it was unbelievable… I decided getting rid of her would be my number one priority. I entered the conference room to see three animals waiting for me, each were the head of the agencies I would be in charge of. The first was a Saber tooth Tiger named Briggs. He is in charge of the Eastern branch of the Inarian Intelligence Agency. The second was a tiger. His name was undisclosed, but I was told to refer to him as Cell A. He was in charge of the federal Investigations committee. The last was a female fox named Victoria, or Vikki for short. She was in charge of assassination operations and “behind enemy lines” tactics. We met and spoke for a little while before I decided it was time to return to the Center, in order to get things started.

     

 

***************************** TWO DAYS LATER ****************************

 

            I climbed the stairs and walked into the office building where I worked. The offices fell quiet as me and my department leaders walked through. “Everybody, meeting in the auditorium, right now!” I cried to everyone and proceeded there myself. I waited as the auditorium filled with my workers as well as the newly arrived ones who were to be working under me. I scanned the crowd looking for Fluffy and, if she had the nerve to show up, Ebony. I saw him, sitting in the back half-sleep, but I didn’t see her. A few minutes passed before everyone had settled down. “I called you all here because there is some serious s**t about to take place here.” I said standing up. The room fell from a dull roar to absolute silence. “As you all should know, Chechnya has declared war on us, and there’s already been a lot of fighting going on up north. The military’s main focus is going to be in this area. So naturally, we’re going to be host to lot of government agencies here for a while. That is what Premier Nora wanted to discuss with me. Behind me are the department head which will head those departments. You will show them the upmost respect and do as they say.” The room was filled with whispering amongst the animals. “The key here is security. While we are switching from police operations to Intelligence and military ones, I want everyone to be on lookout for suspicious activities and animals. Don’t hesitate to stop and question if you feel it’s necessary. Also, be sure you are practicing good judgment… don’t make yourselves a target and don’t discuss secret information outside of these walls. That is all.” The room was once again filled with talking. “Fluffy I want to see you in my office.” I said walking passed him, “Right now.”

            The upper floors were empty as everyone was still on the lower decks discussing me little speech. I sat in my office thinking of what to say and how to say it when Fluffy finally entered. “Before you say anything I want you to understand something.” I quickly said before he could sit down, “There is some serious stuff about to happen now. I hold an important position now and the eIPF is in the government’s spotlight now. There are a lot of important animals focusing on us, Fluffy.” He nodded. Fluffy’s usual laid back and witty demeanor was gone. Now, he had a serious one. “I want to talk to you about that girl. Ebony.” I continued, “I don’t think I need to tell you how dangerous her being here is to our Territory’s security. But I will anyway.” Before I could say anything, he quickly interrupted. “You’ve been telling me this for days now… I’m telling you she not a freaking threat!” He barked, “I thought you said you trusted my judgment?!” A few days ago, when I originally sent him to spy on her, he actually brought her back… I never trusted her. “Now that her territory is being rebuilt and is at war with us, you can’t tell how she’ll react, Fluffy!” I replied angrily, “You may THINK you understand what’s going on in that thick skull of hers, but you can’t! There’s no way you can know these things!” I took a deep sigh, “There are a lot of government officials coming down her now, Fluffy…  we can’t afford having her floating around here… especially now of all times.” Fluffy glared at me, “So what? Now what do you want me to do?” I shook my head, “I want her the f**k out of my life, out of my District and out of my goddamn territory. I told you this already and you said you’d handle it, Fluffy. Don’t toy with me Fluffy, I swear to god…” Fluffy sighed and got up, “Is that all?” I shook my head, “No, sit down. I sent someone down there to keep an eye on her… but I haven’t heard back from him. You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that would you?” Fluffy looked at me, surprised at what I had told him, “You sent someone to spy one her?! What the f**k Nichole?!” I glared at him, “I don’t have to explain myself to you nor will I. Answer the question Fluffy.” He shook his head, “No, I wouldn’t.” I nodded, “Okay, that’s all I needed to know.”

 

© 2013 VeridianWolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on February 4, 2013
Last Updated on February 4, 2013
Tags: wolf wolves animals

Author

VeridianWolf
VeridianWolf

Fayetteville, NC



About
Write in me spare time. more..

Writing