The Angel of Zero City: Part 12

The Angel of Zero City: Part 12

A Story by Andrew Colunga
"

An urban-fantasy novella. It is an untold story between the chapters of its parent book: The Gauntlet of Maltese.

"

Exhaustion

 

 

Once she left, Joseph tuned the radio to the jazz station broadcasting out of the Uptown college. He gingerly got out of bed, put on slippers, and looked for his rainy day beer, only to realize that he had drunk it days before. Feeling resigned, he laid back in bed and listened to the music until Finlay arrived an hour later.


“Officer Bentley looked you over and she says you’re gonna be okay,” he said. “Exhaustion, coupled with a beating�"your body just wanted to rest for a few days. She says your bones are pretty strong so nothing’s broken, but for a while moving is gonna be painful.”


Joseph listened to Finlay talk from within the bathroom. He twisted in the mirror, and stiff pain erupted on both sides of his body. There were a series of bruises spotted across his waist, and touching each one brought him a flash of memory. His face looked fine though, and the swelling in his jaw had reduced, however there was a large lump on the back of his head.


“I asked her not to file a physician’s report, but she warns to watch out for signs of a concussion. For the next few days don’t use ointments, take an aspirin, use ice, yadda-yadda-yadda, you know.”


Joseph put on a shirt and stepped out.


“Also, my wife baked you a zucchini bread.” Finlay was too old to feel angry for too long, and all he wanted now were answers. He had been more than shocked to get a call from his partner’s ex-old lady, and then doubly shocked to see Joseph so beaten. “How are you feeling? What were you doing in the East-Side?”


Joseph moved to his closet and began to dress. “I spoke to our mystery killer that night.”


Finlay was stunned. “Wait, you found and confronted them alone?”


“No, he approached me. He knew I was looking for him … and that’s probably not all he knows.”


“Jesus. So, are we compromised?”


“I don’t know. I also don’t know how I got home. The last thing I remember was blacking out in an alley. Three Holly Fuckers jumped me from behind just after the Angel had disappeared. I thought they were going to finish me.”


“The Angel?” Finlay asked.


“Yeah, he’s the one we’re after. His voice was serious, but it wasn’t gruff or mature. I’m guessing we’re looking for someone in their twenties, and a bit less than my height.”


“Did he bring you home?”


As unlikely as it seemed, Joseph had come to the same conclusion. “It looks that way.”


“So then he knows where you live! He probably knows where I live! We’re getting too close to this case!”


Joseph checked his coat pocket for the hamsa drawing but it was gone. He cringed, and struggled to put the coat on, and Finlay helped him. “He was right there,” Joseph hissed. “If only I was quicker or … I had my chance.”


“Don’t beat yourself over it. He’s killed dozens of guys. Your survival is a miracle.”


Joseph stretched his shoulders and let out a yelp of pain.


“What is it?” Finlay asked.


Joseph shrugged. “I think it’s character development.”


His partner’s eyes rolled. “You’re an idiot.”


“Ha-ha. There’s got to be an easier way to do this.”


“Wait a minute,” Finlay stopped. “You’re liking this, aren’t you? You’re getting a big kick out of all this Sam Spade s**t. Getting people worried about you fighting the bad guys all alone.”


“Don’t be ridiculous, Finlay. You already worry about me too much.” Joseph opened the door, and the two partners got into the LeSabre and drove to the prescient.

© 2014 Andrew Colunga


Author's Note

Andrew Colunga
This is a 19 part story. All of which are completed and are expected to be posted.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on May 2, 2014
Last Updated on May 2, 2014
Tags: urban, fantasy, urban-fantasy

Author

Andrew Colunga
Andrew Colunga

Los Angeles, CA



About
Artist and Writer from LA. http://wonderwig.deviantart.com/ http://wonderwig.tumblr.com/ https://www.facebook.com/GauntletOfMaltese https://www.facebook.com/andycolunga more..

Writing